AD, coach Bo Pelini on same page

Nobody

Me too. It isn't his job to make his underling feel rosy and secure. Besides, if he had come out and given him the infamous "vote of confidence" before the season ended, history has shown that's not airtight either.

I don't really care that he didn't publicly say "Bo Pelini is coming back - period," until after the game. As a method of controlling the media, I think his "evaluate when the season ends" stance is a good one.

That said, while we can't know exactly what happened, I think he pretty clearly kept Bo in the dark as well, and that contributed to the catastrophic outcome of the Iowa game. If he hadn't decided to keep him yet, that's one thing - but how could he not have? The Iowa game went worse than almost anyone could've imagined, so I have to believe that if Eichorst hadn't already decided, Bo would've been gone. Which comes back to what I think was Eichorst's fumble: we may not have beaten Iowa, but it would've been a heck of a lot closer had Bo not lost his mind, and I doubt he loses his mind if he's been told he's NU's guy in 2014, no matter what happens.

Yeah, if Bo can't be a professional and keep it within three scores on senior day, almost hit a ref, curse out the media and dare his boss to fire him without being told how special he is by his boss this whole situation is probably a fait accompli

Because that's literally what LukeinNE said.

He didn't say it all. It's what happened.

So, you can prove that Bo dared his boss to fire him because he wasn't "being told how special he is."

regardless, it is pretty silly to blame eichorst (or even mention him as a factor) for bo breaking down (and embarrassing himself and the program) because he could not handle the pressure that comes with a job that pays 3 mil. plus.

How does this correlate with the discussion of Eichorst and Pelini being on the same page? I know there are fans that like to throw the word "embarrassment" around for whatever reason.....like it accomplishes or influences something.

regardless, it is pretty silly to blame eichorst (or even mention him as a factor) for bo breaking down (and embarrassing himself and the program) because he could not handle the pressure that comes with a job that pays 3 mil. plus.

How does this correlate with the discussion of Eichorst and Pelini being on the same page? I know there are fans that like to throw the word "embarrassment" around for whatever reason.....like it accomplishes or influences something.

i don't think it is as much correlation as it was causation.

but i guess throwing around the word "embarrassment" is better than throwing around a hat at a ref.

• Fire 1

Me too. It isn't his job to make his underling feel rosy and secure. Besides, if he had come out and given him the infamous "vote of confidence" before the season ended, history has shown that's not airtight either.

I don't really care that he didn't publicly say "Bo Pelini is coming back - period," until after the game. As a method of controlling the media, I think his "evaluate when the season ends" stance is a good one.

That said, while we can't know exactly what happened, I think he pretty clearly kept Bo in the dark as well, and that contributed to the catastrophic outcome of the Iowa game. If he hadn't decided to keep him yet, that's one thing - but how could he not have? The Iowa game went worse than almost anyone could've imagined, so I have to believe that if Eichorst hadn't already decided, Bo would've been gone. Which comes back to what I think was Eichorst's fumble: we may not have beaten Iowa, but it would've been a heck of a lot closer had Bo not lost his mind, and I doubt he loses his mind if he's been told he's NU's guy in 2014, no matter what happens.

Yeah, if Bo can't be a professional and keep it within three scores on senior day, almost hit a ref, curse out the media and dare his boss to fire him without being told how special he is by his boss this whole situation is probably a fait accompli

Because that's literally what LukeinNE said.

He didn't say it all. It's what happened.

So, you can prove that Bo dared his boss to fire him because he wasn't "being told how special he is."

Funny thing about things that happen. You don't need to prove them. And it's awfully ridiculous the blame projecting going on in a state that prides itself on personal responsibility.

• Fire 1

it is crazy that people are faulting eichorst for sticking with his policy. and regardless of what went on behind closed doors, there should be no excuse for bo's performance and behavior during and after that iowa game. as NUpolo8 alluded to, accountability is something we all value.

• Fire 3

it is crazy that people are faulting eichorst for sticking with his policy. and regardless of what went on behind closed doors, there should be no excuse for bo's performance and behavior during and after that iowa game. as NUpolo8 alluded to, accountability is something we all value.

]

It is crazy to look at this so one-sidedly. Bo and Eichorst BOTH bear responsibility. Yes Bo is to blame for what he did, that said Bo's actions and the things in general being so ugly wouldn't have came about if Eichorst acted in a competent manner. Florida had a complete trainwreck of a season but their AD killed the drama. Eichorst let an ugly situation fester til it erupted. He could've squashed things and gotten the staff/team calmed and refocused while supporting recruiting. Instead he let them swing in the breeze while the rumor-mill ran amuck, to the point where it was obvious Bo himself thought he was done. I couldn't believe when Eichorst came out later in support of Bo, I assumed Bo was done because I thought there was no way our AD was dumb enough to not say a damn thing while Rome burned. If he really wanted a regime change he'd played it shrewdly. Since he didn't want Bo gone he handled things incompetently. I don't care what his policy is, it is his damn job to handle the ugly situation and not let it get out of control.

Of course Bo screwed the pooch, but Eichorst did too. Both are accountable for what happened in their own way.

Funny thing about things that happen. You don't need to prove them. And it's awfully ridiculous the blame projecting going on in a state that prides itself on personal responsibility.

Well, yeah, see.... generally when you say something happened, the burden of proof is on you to prove it. Just because you keep saying it happened that way, doesn't make it so. But we know how this always ends.