Rick Perry indicted on two felony counts

Most of what little I've read, left and right, are portraying this as Austin Democrats going overboard in a vendetta against Perry. Doubtful it'll go anywhere but it'll likely accomplish its goal of sabotaging his presidential hopes. I'm not sure if it's every happened before, but I can't think running for president under felony indictment is going to be helpful.

Some Republican DA in New York retaliating by trying to get Hillary Clinton indicted over Benghazi or some other dumb political issue in 3, 2, 1.....

Most of what little I've read, left and right, are portraying this as Austin Democrats going overboard in a vendetta against Perry. Doubtful it'll go anywhere but it'll likely accomplish its goal of sabotaging his presidential hopes. I'm not sure if it's every happened before, but I can't think running for president under felony indictment is going to be helpful.

Some Republican DA in New York retaliating by trying to get Hillary Clinton indicted over Benghazi or some other dumb political issue in 3, 2, 1.....

Or maybe just file a lawsuit against the POTUS?

Not saying that he can or should be indicted but is it okay for a governor to actually say he is going to cut funding to a program if someone doesn't resign? Seems like you might keep that comment to yourself and then cut the funding if they don't resign.

Especially if you're threatening to cut funding for a program that is investigating you for criminal and ethical wrongdoing on multiple fronts?

Yes, Perry could have done this if he would have kept his yap shut, and no one would have been the wiser. But then again, thinking isn't exactly Perry's strong suit...

And what continues to get lost in this is that Perry was actively being investigated by this program for multiple issues and wanted his own patsy in that office to make the investigations go away. Even with the DUI, this is shady on Perry's part. The man is no stranger to prostituting his office and policy for campaign contributions (see standardized testing in Texass).

the drunk DA

http://www.newsmax.com/Newsfront/Rick-Perry-indictment-video-Rosemary-Lehmberg/2014/08/18/id/589321/

http://www.newsmax.com/Newsfront/Alan-Dershowitz-Rick-Perry-indictment/2014/08/18/id/589413/

The indictment of Texas Republican Gov. Rick Perry over abuse of powers is reminiscent of the way that political dissent was handled in the Soviet Union, legal scholar and Harvard Law professor Alan Dershowitz told Newsmax TV's "America's Forum."

Dershowitz, who make clear he would never vote for Rick Perry, said the governor's indictment was driven by politics and is representative of "what happens in totalitarian societies." He said disagreement with Perry's actions is "not the basis of what a criminal charge should be," adding that Americans have the ability to "vote against him" if they don't like his actions

the drunk DA

http://www.newsmax.com/Newsfront/Rick-Perry-indictment-video-Rosemary-Lehmberg/2014/08/18/id/589321/

http://www.newsmax.com/Newsfront/Alan-Dershowitz-Rick-Perry-indictment/2014/08/18/id/589413/

The indictment of Texas Republican Gov. Rick Perry over abuse of powers is reminiscent of the way that political dissent was handled in the Soviet Union, legal scholar and Harvard Law professor Alan Dershowitz told Newsmax TV's "America's Forum."

Dershowitz, who make clear he would never vote for Rick Perry, said the governor's indictment was driven by politics and is representative of "what happens in totalitarian societies." He said disagreement with Perry's actions is "not the basis of what a criminal charge should be," adding that Americans have the ability to "vote against him" if they don't like his actions

I'm pretty sure a grand jury indictment wasn't how political dissent was handled in the Soviet Union.

the drunk DA

I'm pretty sure a grand jury indictment wasn't how political dissent was handled in the Soviet Union.

It will be when they get done revising the History books.

the drunk DA

correct on that. I'm just surprised how strongly Dershowitz came out on this. Perry and he are on polar ends of the spectrum. This will go no where and Perry will use it for fund raising and whipping up and growing his base as he wears the indictment as a 'badge of honor'.

correct on that. I'm just surprised how strongly Dershowitz came out on this. Perry and he are on polar ends of the spectrum. This will go no where and Perry will use it for fund raising and whipping up and growing his base as he wears the indictment as a 'badge of honor'.

Intellectual honesty. If you'd like to see an example of the opposite you should read the conservative reactions to the Halbig decision.

What does it say about elected officials and the power they amass while in office that they do stupid embarrassing sh#t, get asked to step down, and they refuse like the a-hole they are?

I'm not sure what you're asking. Unless they have crossed some bright line they can be asked to step down all they want but it's ultimately up to us voters to force them from office by going to the polls.

What does it say about elected officials and the power they amass while in office that they do stupid embarrassing sh#t, get asked to step down, and they refuse like the a-hole they are?

I'm not sure what you're asking. Unless they have crossed some bright line they can be asked to step down all they want but it's ultimately up to us voters to force them from office by going to the polls.

It's just a bitch session on my part. I find it maddening how disillusioned some of these people are when they are caught doing something wrong, get asked to step down and they don't because of their ego.

It's just a bitch session on my part. I find it maddening how disillusioned some of these people are when they are caught doing something wrong, get asked to step down and they don't because of their ego.

That's probably some of it . . . but if they haven't lost the confidence of their constituents and they haven't broken a law that would require their removal from office there aren't many options.

Interestingly, this is how some have reacted to the Perry indictment. The Texas Democratic Party called for his resignation because of his (supposedly) embarrassing/criminal actions. Lemberg's DUI aside . . . I think there is some merit to the idea that it's embarrassing for the governor to veto the funding of a public integrity unit that happens to be investigating the governor. That's awfully convenient. That said, I don't think Perry should resign (or be called on to resign) over this unless there are some seriously damning facts that I'm missing.

I find it ironic the woman in charge of the department looking into integrity gets a DUI, has to be put in shackles to get her under control, makes gun sign at the police, and she's in an uproar about someone wanting her to resign.

We live in a backwards world my friends.

I find it ironic the woman in charge of the department looking into integrity gets a DUI, has to be put in shackles to get her under control, makes gun sign at the police, and she's in an uproar about someone wanting her to resign.

We live in a backwards world my friends.

Video of her in booking