Husker's new opponet

AT LAST!

finally huskernation will be able to smackdown Nicholls State once and for all! i am so tired of taking cr@p from Nicholls State alums about how *bad* they are and who lucky nebraska is not to play them.

WHO'S LAUGHIN' NOW, BUDDY?!

btw, where the *h3ll* is Nicholls State anyhow?

http://journalstar.com/articles/2006/01/25...5b766635435.txt

Division I-AA Nicholls State signs up to play Huskers in 2006

BY STEVEN M. SIPPLE / Lincoln Journal Star

Wednesday, Jan 25, 2006 - 12:15:45 am CST

As far as Nicholls State athletic director Rob Bernardi knows, his school is the only public university in the nation that offers a culinary program for students.

Come September, Bernardi hopes Nicholls State distinguishes itself on the football field by cooking up an upset over Nebraska in Lincoln.

Bernardi said Tuesday that officials from both schools have signed a contract to play at Memorial Stadium in 2006. There’s only one hitch: Nebraska officials haven’t determined whether the game will occur Sept. 2 or Sept. 9, he said.

“We’re just waiting to hear back from them as to which date we’ll play,” Bernardi said. “I think they’re trying to work out some things with another opponent. But we intend to be in Lincoln on one of those dates.”

Nebraska is in the final stages of finalizing its 2006 schedule. The Huskers’ 12-game schedule next season has room for four non-Big 12 Conference games, and two of those contests apparently are set: Sept. 16 at Southern California and Sept. 23 against Troy in Lincoln.

Nicholls State, an NCAA Division I-AA team from Thibodaux, La., finished 6-4 this past season, winning its last five regular-season games to capture its first Southland Conference championship.

Nebraska athletic director Steve Pederson has said he won’t comment on scheduling matters until both the 2006 and 2007 schedules are finalized. NU’s 2007 schedule tentatively features home games against Nevada on Sept. 1 and Southern Cal on Sept. 15 sandwiched around a Sept. 8 road test at Wake Forest.

“Steve has tried to keep us informed and has been very apologetic, really,” Bernardi said. “Some of those athletic directors from big-time schools, you can’t even get them on the phone. That’s not the case with Steve. Every time I’ve called him, he’s called me back. We continue to be patient and just await word from them.”

Advertisement

Asked if Nicholls State had given Nebraska a deadline for a final answer, Bernardi said, “I think he’s certainly aware we need to put a period behind this thing soon. Hopefully, they’ll reward us for our patience.”

Nebraska, 8-4 in 2005, has played Division I-AA opponents in three of the last four seasons. This past season, the Huskers defeated Maine 25-7 in Lincoln.

Division I-A teams can count one victory over a I-AA opponent each year toward bowl eligibility. The rule went into effect in 2005.

Bernardi declined to say how much money Nicholls State will receive for its trip to Lincoaln. He did say Husker tailgaters should be ready for some tasty Cajun dishes.

“I’ve told Steve we intend to bring a band of Cajun chefs,” Bernardi said. “We’re an attractive opponent. We come with our own food.”

Seriously, this is ridiculuous. We're not going to get any respect if we continue to schedule these Division II puff cakes. I don't care if we have Texas and USC to play next year....we should schedule better quality opponents. It's embarrassing IMO. Next thing you know, we'll be playing Mount Union - Division III, then...who knows...Lincoln Southeast. Anyone excited about this?!? Aaaaaargh....

Seriously, this is ridiculuous.  We're not going to get any respect if we continue to schedule these Division II  puff cakes.  I don't care if we have Texas and USC to play next year....we should schedule better quality opponents.  It's embarrassing IMO. Next thing you know, we'll be playing Mount Union  - Division III, then...who knows...Lincoln Southeast.  Anyone excited about this?!? Aaaaaargh....

With USC and Texas on the schedule, i can't really complain about this game (i expect it to be the first game to test out our new incoming players). Plus we also have Troy on the schedule and believe it or not, they knocked off Missouri 2 years ago, and took 17th ranked LSU to the wire in a 24-20 loss. Contrary to popular opinion, Troy is actually getting better each year unlike some other DIV-A teams like Rice, Temple, Buffalo who have all sucked since joining DIV-A

Seriously, this is ridiculuous. We're not going to get any respect if we continue to schedule these Division II puff cakes. I don't care if we have Texas and USC to play next year....we should schedule better quality opponents. It's embarrassing IMO. Next thing you know, we'll be playing Mount Union - Division III, then...who knows...Lincoln Southeast. Anyone excited about this?!? Aaaaaargh....

You make it sound like we can just call Auburn or Michigan and say "hey, come to Lincoln and play." These games are tough to schedule so late in the year. Now I'm sure we could get a lower-tier D1 school in here, but I have no idea what they would require over a DII school. And since they can be used toward bowl eligibility, why not schedule them? It provides a nice little warm-up before the tougher games get going.

This sucks ... and it's embarrassing ... and ... it's another game I won't be watching. Doesn't help recruiting ... doesn't make me want to buy a ticket ... doesn't make me want to come to NU to play football ... puts an obvious "W" on the schedule that teams and coaches from other conferences use against you.

Don't excuse this one away ... this really sucks! Just a shade lower than Troy. Let Mizzoo play teams like this.

Sheepdog Mark

And the new opponet for 06 is...... Nicholls State.... Well at least they will bring their own food.

Come on now, sure it provides us with a warmup. But how does playing Nicholls State right before heading out to LA to face USC get you ready to play. The caliber of opponent between Nicholls State and USC is night and day, and certainly hope we aren't too high on ourselves after we put a beating to Nicholls. This could really hurt us and I hope everybody realizes that.

Seriously, this is ridiculuous.  We're not going to get any respect if we continue to schedule these Division II  puff cakes.  I don't care if we have Texas and USC to play next year....we should schedule better quality opponents.  It's embarrassing IMO. Next thing you know, we'll be playing Mount Union  - Division III, then...who knows...Lincoln Southeast.  Anyone excited about this?!? Aaaaaargh....

NU used to have a schedule such as this....back in the early 1900's. I believe that the Y, Lincoln High, and Creighton were all opponents. <_<

I agree, if you want to schedule a "puff" at least try to get someone 1A, or a decent 1AA team, not a Nicholls St. :wtf

Come on now, sure it provides us with a warmup. But how does playing Nicholls State right before heading out to LA to face USC get you ready to play. The caliber of opponent between Nicholls State and USC is night and day,

:yeah An intersquad scrimmage would be more useful.

and certainly hope we aren't too high on ourselves after we put a beating to Nicholls. This could really hurt us and I hope everybody realizes that.

Not so fast my friend. If Maine was any indication..............

You make it sound like we can just call Auburn or Michigan and say "hey, come to Lincoln and play." These games are tough to schedule so late in the year. Now I'm sure we could get a lower-tier D1 school in here, but I have no idea what they would require over a DII school. And since they can be used toward bowl eligibility, why not schedule them? It provides a nice little warm-up before the tougher games get going.

I know that scheduling is tough...and that there aren't a lot of good quality teams lined-up to play us...I am not talking about Michigan or Auburn...I just think we need to stick to Division I teams. What I'm saying is if you wait for the last moment to get a deal done, this is going to happen. It seems that we get ourselves in this mess because it's the 11th hour and there is no one left to play. C'mon, we're Nebraska. NEBRASKA. I have a lot more pride then to be happy to see our team play a mediocre Division II team.

Not that big of a deal alot of Div 1 schools do this.

That doesn't mean that we should follow suit.

With USC and Texas on the schedule, i can't really complain about this game (i expect it to be the first game to test out our new incoming players).

So, with USC and Texas on the schedule, we should stoop to playing Division II teams ....and not very good Division II teams to boot!! I don't buy it.

I will reiterate... AAAAAAAAAARGH!