*Monday Press Conference 09/01/14*

I have the day off....so I decided I would jot down some notes from the Monday press conference with the football team.

Tommy-Gun is up first:

-Left a bunch of passes out there, overthrew some passes. Keeping the ball down, making smart decisions. The offensive line stressed not giving up any sacks. I just gotta get better in the passing game. Wasn't a technique issue, just not putting the ball in the right place. Him and Kenny on wrong page at times.

-We can be a lot better. The biggest stress was moving the chains on offense.

-Stressed going over 2nd and long, 3rd and long....make sure we convert on 3rd down. Stressed on it a lot during fall camp.

-The offensive line did great. Fall camp, the line did great. Thinks they can improve each and every week. The guys on defense, in practice, push the offensive line and make them better everyday. Jake and Mark led the offensive line during the game. Many of the guys on the offensive line are still competing, not many set in stone.

-Stated he was comfortable, everything slowed down. Trusts his offense line since day one. The offensive line did a great job Saturday.

-Stated he is a lot better than last year at his reads, better at understanding certain looks, certain situations.

-The difference from last year on offense is that they are more aggressive. The receiving core is much healthier, lost Quincy, but have a lot of talent on the outside. Gotta make sure they stay healthy.

-Goal is to stay over 60% completion percentage. Gotta improve each and every week. Take all the film work and put it out on the field.

-Understanding he just has to zip balls in there instead of making some of the guys jump for them. A technique thing and something he needs to improve upon.

-Be able to throw the ball in general, throwing the deep ball isn't the only thing that is important with the offense to help open up the running game.

-The o-line are competitors. O-line rotates a lot and sees new faces when he huddles up.

-The fake spike was a bit of communication issue. Some guys thought it was a spike, others a fake spike.

• Fire 6

RG4 injury like Janovich injury. Old injury that flared up. They went in and fixed it. Doubtful for McNeese St. Probable for Fresno. Hurt in bball years ago that flared up. Non contact. He just felt some clicking in there. Had a scope surgery yesterday morning. Won't rush him back, will be 100%. Janvovich was very similar and was back fairly quickly.

RG4 injury like Janovich injury. Old injury that flared up. They went in and fixed it. Doubtful for McNeese St. Probable for Fresno. Hurt in bball years ago that flared up. Non contact. He just felt some clicking in there. Had a scope surgery yesterday morning. Won't rush him back, will be 100%. Janvovich was very similar and was back fairly quickly.

That's pretty good news.

Bo:

-Thought the film showed some good things and a lot of things that they can learn from, get better from. The film showed that there are things that could hurt us down the road.

-The guys played hard. Gotta continue to work to play smarter, more efficiently, better technique and fundamentals. You'll be seeing some new guys in the special teams area, shuffle guys around. Look to get better.

-Randy Gregory has something simliar to what Janovich had going on. An old injury that flared up, they went in there and fixed it. He is doubtful for this week, but probable for the Fresno State game. I am not a doctor, but it's an old injury from basketball. MRI clearly showed it was an old injury. It was non-contact when it flared up. The doctors could tell it was a very old injury, scar tissue flared up. He felt some "clicking in there." Something about a scope? Randy may be getting a scope...couldn't hear the reporter. (This make me very happy to hear. Get it cleaned up NOW!)

-Jack Gangwish is going to help us. He is getting better. He had a couple of mental mistakes in there, played hard nad physical, did some good things. Newby went out on the 3rd, real plus for us. AJ Natter did some good things out there. Joe Keels ankle has been bothering him, he finally feels 100%.

-Night and day difference for McMullen, he was very productive last year. He's a good football player, really focused, really instinctive. Likes how Greg is playing.

-Sterup will practice tomorrow. Reily and Burtch are day to day.

-Tommy throws the deep ball well. We are going to take what's there. Sometimes he took his second read, which is great to see. If you want to load the box, we are going to stretch the field (with the pass).

-Nature of defense now, gotta get guy up there every now and then to handle offenses. Pick your times when you take a shot deep down field. Tommy made some good decisions.

-Beck is an outstanding offensive mind. Understands the game and understands defense. He does a really job of setting up the offense for success in the run and pass. He called a good game Saturday.

-Doesn't make a big deal about giving out scholarships to walk-ons. There's a lot of other guys that are very deserving as well...has a hard time with it. Fyfe has played well, he has earned that right Unfortunately, only have 85 to play with, can be difficult at times. There are other guys that are very much deserving as well. Backed off on making announcements, doesn't want to make a big deal about it, doesn't want to make other guys feel like they aren't deserving of a scholarship.

-Talk to the guys every week, doesn't matter who we play. The approach has to be the same: the way we practice, game plan, etc. Doesn't care if they are FBS, FCS....next opponent, approach it the same every week. McNeese state is highly ranked in their division, doesn't surprise him. They will pose problems for you. Goal is to be a better football team this week as opposed to last week. It's a part of maturity of a football team. McNeese is a well coached football team. Gotta make sure everyone is on same page, go above and beyond in the game plan at times to get that sense of urgency going.

-Not saying McNeese State is not a good football team, but prefers not playing lower-divisional teams. Thinks this is the last time they'll play a team from the FCS.

-He has little bit of input on the future schedule. They ask him questions on the logistics-how it will fit with who they play and when. Sounds like Bo isn't too involved. He wants to play good opponents, wants his football team tested.

-McNeese QB, watched a little bit of film on him. How they choose to use him-your guess is as good as mine per Bo. Doesn't know yet how they will use him-running game or passing game. Gotta go with what they have done in the past and make adjustments from there.

-Alex Lewis has come out and been a great teammate, fit in. He plays hard, plays aggressive, works hard at what he does. He is not overly vocal, but he goes out and has a great approach every single day. Loves to practice and loves to play. He works real hard in the classroom. He's done everything we've asked of him.

-Thinks we have good depth on the offensive line. Get Sterup back this week. You cannot never have enough good guys up front.

-Westkamp catch: Bo watched it just once, saw it on sports center. Saw it live, that was enough for him. Unusual to say the least-he hasn't been around that one. Haven't seen something like that before.

-Some guys are more ready than others in the secondary. They still have a lot to learn. Saw things he liked and things they need to work on as they move forward. The young guys stepped in and competed. He likes the group. A guy like Trai Mosley, they are red shirting, looks very good-showed some good things in camp. Gifford at safety is going to be a good player. He likes the young secondary.

-Really hard to project how players will pick up the defense. All are great kids, but it's hard to project how they'll pick up the defense on the field during live games.

-Cockrell-Terry Joseph brought him to his attention. Watched him and liked him. When he met BC, he thought he was a steal. He loves BC....going to keep getting better. Tremendous instincts and a great understanding of the game. You can talk to him a bit on "level 2", what offenses are trying to do and why. He can play multiple spots:Nickel, safety, corner. He can handle all that mentally-unusual for a first year guy per Bo. A great man to have on the football team.

-Managed the players well during the game. Got Ameer out at a good time. Ameer is a guy who practices so hard-gotta be careful not to wear him out. Make sure he is fresh for Saturday. Gotta be careful that you don't give them too much, give them enough though. The guys have been around, they know the routine with touches.

-Saw the very end of the LSU vs. Wiscy game. Didn't have as many comeback wins at LSU. LSU has had their share of comeback wins. Looked like a HECKUVA FOOTBALL GAME.

-

• Fire 5

Thanks for clarifying. Couldn't hear the reporter

Ameer:

-Offense can be much more efficient. Watching film, had a lot of mistakes. A lot of false steps, one step in the wrong way can really throw off the offensive play. Need to be more efficient with our steps. Opponents will be much better than FAU.

-Gotta play with your feet, not with your hands. Technical things when it comes to penalties.

-Always prided himself on being a pretty shifty guy. Expects every RB on the team to win a 1 on 1 battle in the open field.

-McNeese state is a really good team. Saw them play a couple times on TV last year, fast players. Can't just show up and win. McNeese state has nothing to lose. As long as we better ourselves, won't have to worry about the opponent as much. Teams like this scare Ameer, teams like this have nothing to lose.

-I get on players during any week, not good enough of a squad to take anyone lightly. We have plenty to improve upon. There are plenty of things we have to correct before we take on the big teams in conference.

-Watching film, too many mental mistakes. Guys losing 1 on 1 battles-expect players to dominate person in those battles. Didn't do that enough this Saturday. Bring a higher intensity this week. We aren't "there" yet.

-First game-can never get too high or get too low. It's a long season, you never know what next week holds for you. Can never hang your hat on what happened last week. Keep trying to get better week to week.

-Thought he was going to block a punt, but they held him. He was in 3 or 4 times on punt block. A lot he can learn from and things he can clean up. Ameer wants to block a punt this year. If they think I am the best at blocking punts, then I'll be out there. Worked hard at being in the position to block punts. Blocking a punt can change a game. Special teams is the quickest way to swing the game. Gets the moral of the team much higher, something he really wants to do: block a punt.

-Rex was a great mentor for him. Everything he has done on the field and off field-would mean a lot to pass Rex on overall rushing yards. Trying his best to keep the RB flame going-never get complacent, can always get better at your craft. Never fee like you have "arrived."

-Been a lot of good RBs that have come through here-trying to create a legacy of my own. Getting the W is #1.

-T. Newby-just getting a taste of him. You'll see the TRUTH when I leave Lincoln.

-The press isn't worth staying for, wanted to beat the traffic. His parent were hot from being at the game all day, didn't want to answer questions after the game. Needed to beat traffic ha.

-Pass-blocking-gotten stronger, can stand guys up. Really wants to put solid pas-blocking on film.

That's it for "The Butcher." I am done with my write up fellas.

• Fire 5

Ameer:

-Offense can be much more efficient. Watching film, had a lot of mistakes. A lot of false steps, one step in the wrong way can really throw off the offensive play. Need to be more efficient with our steps. Opponents will be much better than FAU.

-Gotta play with your feet, not with your hands. Technical things when it comes to penalties.

-Always prided himself on being a pretty shifty guy. Expects every RB on the team to win a 1 on 1 battle in the open field.

-McNeese state is a really good team. Saw them play a couple times on TV last year, fast players. Can't just show up and win. McNeese state has nothing to lose. As long as we better ourselves, won't have to worry about the opponent as much. Teams like this scare Ameer, teams like this have nothing to lose.

-I get on players during any week, not good enough of a squad to take anyone lightly. We have plenty to improve upon. There are plenty of things we have to correct before we take on the big teams in conference.

-Watching film, too many mental mistakes. Guys losing 1 on 1 battles-expect players to dominate person in those battles. Didn't do that enough this Saturday. Bring a higher intensity this week. We aren't "there" yet.

-First game-can never get too high or get too low. It's a long season, you never know what next week holds for you. Can never hang your hat on what happened last week. Keep trying to get better week to week.

-Thought he was going to block a punt, but they held him. He was in 3 or 4 times on punt block. A lot he can learn from and things he can clean up. Ameer wants to block a punt this year. If they think I am the best at blocking punts, then I'll be out there. Worked hard at being in the position to block punts. Blocking a punt can change a game. Special teams is the quickest way to swing the game. Gets the moral of the team much higher, something he really wants to do: block a punt.

-Hates that someone on Huskerboard has the name Abdullah the Butcher

-Rex was a great mentor for him. Everything he has done on the field and off field-would mean a lot to pass Rex on overall rushing yards. Trying his best to keep the RB flame going-never get complacent, can always get better at your craft. Never fee like you have "arrived."

-Been a lot of good RBs that have come through here-trying to create a legacy of my own. Getting the W is #1.

-T. Newby-just getting a taste of him. You'll see the TRUTH when I leave Lincoln.

-The press isn't worth staying for, wanted to beat the traffic. His parent were hot from being at the game all day, didn't want to answer questions after the game. Needed to beat traffic ha.

-Pass-blocking-gotten stronger, can stand guys up. Really wants to put solid pas-blocking on film.

That's it for "The Butcher." I am done with my write up fellas.