An analysis of OC Tim Beck.

Do you honestly think he didn't do the math? Or make adjustments?

Honestly, yes.

On another note, Beck should be fired for no other reason than the fact that he refuses to talk to the press, and by default the fans. He is in the entertainment business. His salary is ultimately paid by people who buy T-shirts and tickets. How many of us who work with customers and / or the public could just say, "I'll do my job, but don't expect me to actually talk to anyone I choose to ignore."

Then again, Bo lets him get away with it, and Bo seems to forget his people skills occasionally.

Never bite the hand that feeds you.

Honestly, yes.

On another note, Beck should be fired for no other reason than the fact that he refuses to talk to the press, and by default the fans. He is in the entertainment business. His salary is ultimately paid by people who buy T-shirts and tickets. How many of us who work with customers and / or the public could just say, "I'll do my job, but don't expect me to actually talk to anyone I choose to ignore."

Then again, Bo lets him get away with it, and Bo seems to forget his people skills occasionally.

Never bite the hand that feeds you.

Oh good Lord....

wow....

:facepalm:

• Fire 1

By the way, if any of you think this would never happen to a Tom Osborne team, it did. Pretty much every time he went up against the best defense in the conference. For the first 20 years or so.

Honest question: given how historicallly bad the Nebraska defense has been the past few seasons, and Bo Pelini's reputation as a defensive guru, why is the bulk of criticism reserved for the Offensive Coordinator?

By the way, if any of you think this would never happen to a Tom Osborne team, it did. Pretty much every time he went up against the best defense in the conference. For the first 20 years or so.

While watching the game, it reminded me of many bowl games in the late 80s.

We would have a good offense all year, then go against a speedy defense in a bowl game and....

88 Miami scored 3 points

89 FSU scored 17 points

90 GTech 21 points

91 Miami 0 points

92 FSU 14 points

Honest question: given how historicallly bad the Nebraska defense has been the past few seasons, and Bo Pelini's reputation as a defensive guru, why is the bulk of criticism reserved for the Offensive Coordinator?

You mean from this game? Because the offense sucked and the defense was decent.

If you mean overall in the last few years, well then Pelini has gotten a ton of criticism.

Jesus guys. He's the same offensive coordinator who ran one of the top five rushing offenses in the country.

Or that he failed to give up on the running game soon enough?

Did it look to your eyes that another tight end might have sprung Ameer Abdullah for serious yardage?

Or did it look like a faster, stronger Michigan defense -- one of the best in the nation -- committed to stopping the run and succeeded? That they dared us to beat them passing — as anticipated — but with far less time to plant and throw and on a crappy day when veteran Conner Cook fared even worse, Tommy Armstrong couldn't loosen up the secondary? That as sh**ty and ineffective as they played all day, the OC and his beaten up Sophomore QB, minus their best receiver and without the luxury of a running game managed to take the #10 team down to the final play, inches away from the greatest comeback in Nebraska history, on the road?

Question Tim Beck if you want. But #FireTimBeck? Please.

When teams have an ongoing history of big game meltdowns, it's not about playcalling. That's why most people don't throw coordinators under the bus.

Exactly.

I won't criticize Beck for this game at all, and this is coming from a guy that wishes Beck would move on. There's no way you can judge an offensive performance when the offensive line doesn't block anybody. That o-line performance destroyed any chance we had and made the best RB in the country look ineffective. Credit to MSU as well.

As far as me wanting Beck out, hell I've had that opinion for years now. I don't like his offense. I don't like his style, I don't like anything about what he does really. I'm happy when it works, and so far this year it's worked well. MSU is one damn stout defense. My opinions on Beck aren't based of this game at all. He could move on and it would make my day. But this game wasn't on him.

Oh good Lord....

wow....

Cut the dramatics and deal with it Sunshine. Not all of us are in to hero worship. Division 1 football coaching is just a job that some do well and some don't. He's no more important to me than the guy who sells the hotdogs, from who I also expect a minimum of polite interaction.

If Beck doesn't want to interact with Nebraska fans or press, then he needs to go find that job and do that for a living.

I could excuse Beck for being a curmudgeonly genius, but he doesn't have the genius part going yet. Osborne would do a show every week explaining most of the plays, what went right or wrong and why. (You might be too young to remember that, but he did.) Why can't Beck? By the way, that is a rhetorical question, I don't expect or even want an answer. It was only posed to provoke some thought on your part.

Oh good Lord....

wow....

Cut the dramatics and deal with it Sunshine. Not all of us are in to hero worship. Division 1 football coaching is just a job that some do well and some don't. He's no more important to me than the guy who sells the hotdogs, from who I also expect a minimum of polite interaction.

If Beck doesn't want to interact with Nebraska fans or press, then he needs to go find that job and do that for a living.

I could excuse Beck for being a curmudgeonly genius, but he doesn't have the genius part going yet. Osborne would do a show every week explaining most of the plays, what went right or wrong and why. (You might be too young to remember that, but he did.) Why can't Beck? By the way, that is a rhetorical question, I don't expect or even want an answer. It was only posed to provoke some thought on your part.

You do realize that Beck is the Offensive Coordinator and not the head Coach, right?

Because Beck's job isn't to interact with the media. It's the HC's job. And last time I checked, Osborne was the HC when he had his show every week.

Oh good Lord....

wow....

No, but it sounds like you are into an ego trip.

News flash, anyone below the head coach isn't required to talk to the media or the fans or explain anything. That is the head coaches job. Now, the HC might choose to have the coordinators talk to the media. But, choose to NOT have them talk.

So, sorry if your ego is getting hurt because you demand a coach to answer your questions.

And, for the record, you telling me I'm being dramatic is pretty laughable when you are the one all worked up and demanding things that you aren't just entitled to simply because you sit on your couch or in the stands watching a team play a game.

why is the bulk of criticism reserved for the Offensive Coordinator?

Because he took one of the best running backs in the nation and build a scheme around him that nets less than two yards a carry against a competent (but not great) defense.

Really? The offensive coordinator who ran the offense that made Ameer Abdullah the most prolific player in Nebraska history, suddenly drafted a new scheme that netted Ameer less than two yards a carry?

You sure he didn't give a fair shot to running the same offense that had worked extremely well the last two outings, the very offense these same critics begged him to stick with?

Is a struggling offensive line being pushed around by a superior defensive line really a scheme?

Did crazy ol' Tim Beck make Ameer Abdullah fumble, Jordan Westerkamp drop a touchdown, or Kenny Bell get hurt?

Is a defense that gives up 27 points to competent (not great) offense totally off the hook, so we can concentrate on flaming Tim Beck?

• Fire 3
Really? The offensive coordinator who ran the offense that made Ameer Abdullah the most prolific player in Nebraska history, suddenly drafted a new scheme that netted Ameer less than two yards a carry?

No. He kept using the old one and couldn't find a fix when the wheels fell off because Michigan schemed to stop it. Any semi-competent coach can take away one aspect of a game to the exclusion of all other concerns, and any semi-competent coach can burn him for doing so...and then we have Beck and what we saw last Saturday...

News flash, anyone below the head coach isn't required to talk to the media or the fans or explain anything. That is the head coaches job. Now, the HC might choose to have the coordinators talk to the media. But, choose to NOT have them talk.

When an adult asks you a question, you should answer them politely. That's what I expected out of my Cub Scouts and my own children when they were growing up, that's what I expect out of Beck. It's called acting like a decent human being and being sociable. If Beck would join Tiger Cubs, I could work with him on that. "Boys learning to become men."

And, for the record, you telling me I'm being dramatic is pretty laughable when you are the one all worked up

No, I just stated that I think Beck is acting like a child and you fell to pieces. Ever thought of joining the Tiger Cubs?...

You mean from this game? Because the offense sucked and the defense was decent.

If you mean overall in the last few years, well then Pelini has gotten a ton of criticism.

Overall. Last few years. Wouldn't dream of suggesting Pelini hasn't been criticized, but the vitriol at Beck seems very different than the vitriol aimed at Carl Pelini or John Papuchis, even though he's delivered a statistically better unit.