Crappiest place you lived (The structure, not just location)

I am shocked that they can even be classified as a house

But why would I buy a 20 year old home when I can get a brand new house for the same price?

Trees and traffic.

. . . and quality of construction. Haha.

I've (unsuccessfully) tried to talk multiple friends out of building Celebrity or Heritage homes. They have some serious regrets.

Ugh me too, those houses are crap. I own a 1920s house that is completely renovated and couldn't be happier, you get the old school quality with a new age look.

Plus you'll be able to sell your house if necessary . . .

Ugh me too, those houses are crap. I own a 1920s house that is completely renovated and couldn't be happier, you get the old school quality with a new age look.

99 year old house here. The 2x10 floor joists are two inches by ten inches. Basement walls are poured concrete, 14 to 16 inches thick. Old growth hardwood floors throughout. Solid wood doors--skeleton key latches on nearly all the interior doors. Lots of brass hinges and door knobs. Four foot wide fireplace, inside dimention. They just don't make houses like that anymore.

The biggest drawback is the garage. It's made for a model T. Not big enough for a decent sized car. If I could scrape together a bit of $$$ I'd build a decent garage, and use the old one for a workshop.

99 year old house here. The 2x10 floor joists are two inches by ten inches. Basement walls are poured concrete, 14 to 16 inches thick. Old growth hardwood floors throughout. Solid wood doors--skeleton key latches on nearly all the interior doors. Lots of brass hinges and door knobs. Four foot wide fireplace, inside dimention. They just don't make houses like that anymore.

The biggest drawback is the garage. It's made for a model T. Not big enough for a decent sized car. If I could scrape together a bit of $$$ I'd build a decent garage, and use the old one for a workshop.

Well if we're going to get into a house measuring contest . . . 124 year old house here. Crappy brick basement. 8+" moulding and solid fir doors . . . damn shame it's all buried under 20 layers of paint. We won't live there long enough to justify stripping all of the woodwork . . . but it would sure look awesome.

And yeah. The garage is tiny. Haha.

Well if we're going to get into a house measuring contest . . . 124 year old house here. Crappy brick basement. 8+" moulding and solid fir doors . . . damn shame it's all buried under 20 layers of paint. We won't live there long enough to justify stripping all of the woodwork . . . but it would sure look awesome.

And yeah. The garage is tiny. Haha.

Too bad about the basement. That's one think that really helps a house out, imho. I used to own a 1960s house with concrete block basement. Won't ever buy one of those again. Not sure about bricks. Seems like they'd be more solid, and less prone to leakage, than hollow concrete blocks.

Too bad about the basement. That's one think that really helps a house out, imho. I used to own a 1960s house with concrete block basement. Won't ever buy one of those again. Not sure about bricks. Seems like they'd be more solid, and less prone to leakage, than hollow concrete blocks.

Brick (as far as foundations go) is probably a step below block which is probably a step below a good poured basement.

I've built two houses with the styrofoam forms that are poured full of concrete (can't remember the trade name) and that made for a really awesome basement. I'm not sure how it would hold up over the long term but it sure made for warm and easily finished basements.