**** What did we learn - Miami Edition ****

walksalone

That AA is the best all around RB ever at NU. Not another back I would take over him out of all of em in the books. I'm dead serious. Witnessing something very, very special.

I absolutely love Ameer....but....he is not the best all around back Nebraska has ever had. I know he is the all time leader in yards, but most of NU's best backs didn't return kicks or do a lot of receiving (they could have, NU just didn't throw to the backs that much in the glory days).

Mike Rozier, Ahman Green, Lawrence Phillips...all better backs than Ameer. But, even listing him among those names is quite a tribute to his incredible talent.

I'd also be curious how many quarters they played. TO had a tendency to take his starters out pretty early in a lot of games. He's clearly awesome to achieve everything he's achieved nonetheless!

• Fire 1

Gave up 31 to a true freshman qb.

You guys D still need some work

They seriously do. Miami marched it right down the field on the first possession. Okay, NU recovered, but if we play a better team (and with the Big Ten this year, who knows?) then it might not be as "easy" to come back and get ahead. This is a real concern.

Let's see how things play out, but I don't think you can put Ameer behind Philips and Green anymore. He's really good.

Agreed. At this point, I would say the only RB ahead of AA might be Rozier..........and I don't think that will be the case by the end of the season. Ameer is well on his way to GOAT Nebraska running back. He is something extra special.

Yeah I still put Rozier ahead of Ameer, but it also feels like an uninformed opinion because I didn't get to see Rozier play. So I'll defer to others I guess

Yeah he may have had 21 on passing, but he marched us down the field.

I'm just excited about this kid. He will set records for years to come be honest I think he will be the best quarterback to come to Miami. He will be a Heisman finalists in the future

I think he is going to be really good as well. How can you root for a team of such classless fools?

When we're good, we're REALLY good.

When we're bad, I momentarily wonder if this year is going to be more of the same. That said, this year I'm seeing our guys bounce back quickly instead of completely unraveling like they used to.

Ameer Abdullah... there's really nothing I can say about the guy that'd adequately describe what an incredible athlete he is. If he's not AT LEAST invited to the Heisman ceremony it'd be a travesty.

Randy Gregory beat Miami at their own game. He obviously had those O linemen demoralized.

I thought David Santos played a much better game last night than what we've seen from him. If I had to choose a starter at Mike based strictly on what I saw last night, it'd be Roach. I still think our LBs are our weakest level on defense, but again, things looked better last night than they did earlier this year, at least at times.

Armstrong still has a long ways to go as a passer. Reading defenses and checking down aren't his strong suits. We've gotten some huge plays in the passing game when he has connected with the deep ball, but we've lost a lot of yardage to wide open receivers when he's missed. That said, I like having him as a secondary threat in the run game. The fumble was a big mistake, but he learned from it and did a much better job protecting the ball afterwards. If he can learn from his mistakes when he's carrying the ball, I don't doubt that he can learn from his mistakes passing it as well.

I don't wanna jinx us, but I feel like there's something special this year. The McNeese State game just might have been the wake up call we needed.

Let's see how things play out, but I don't think you can put Ameer behind Philips and Green anymore. He's really good.

Agreed. At this point, I would say the only RB ahead of AA might be Rozier..........and I don't think that will be the case by the end of the season. Ameer is well on his way to GOAT Nebraska running back. He is something extra special.

Yeah I still put Rozier ahead of Ameer, but it also feels like an uninformed opinion because I didn't get to see Rozier play. So I'll defer to others I guess
I was fortunate enough to see them all play. I think hands down the most talented back was Phillips. Ameer is so, so special because of his incredible balance and heart. He just refuses to let one guy bring him down.

Our D does still need work. Our lack,of spped at LB is going to continue to be exposed. Fast backs and quality tightends are going to frustrate us all year. Later in the game , Roach was beaten badly on a route by a back,or TE also. Do you bring more blitzes so teams have to keep the back or TE in to block?

The roughing call was technically correct. Did any of you bitching about it listen, going low on the QB this year is a point of emphasis and it's going to be called every time.

Really like the way our guys handled themselves. Hats off to Bo for that.

Our D does still need work. Our lack,of spped at LB is going to continue to be exposed. Fast backs and quality tightends are going to frustrate us all year. Later in the game , Roach was beaten badly on a route by a back,or TE also. Do you bring more blitzes so teams have to keep the back or TE in to block?

If there are already issues with our LBs covering TEs/RBs coming across the middle, I see no reason not to use the LBs to bring pressure.

Offense

Beck called a hell of a game. Great mix of running plays. Only 4 passes in the second half? Beautiful.

Ameer Abdullah. He just did what he does. Seems poised to be called an all-time Husker great.

Receivers blocked well.

OL got good push all game.

Tommy Armstrong is a good one, guys. He's never going to have fantastic passing stats . . . but the overall package is damned good.

Defense

Our corners were a little over matched.

Safety play looked solid.

Banderas is a liability. Misses tackles and looks a step slower than everyone that he is asked to cover.

When Gregory decides that he isn't going to be blocked . . . he isn't blocked.

DTs played well. There wasn't much running room between the tackles.

The crowd was amped. That's fun to see . . . and it's too bad that we don't have more big home games this year. That was basically it . . .

Oh. One more thing. @##@! Miami. Classless program filled with classless players. The UM fans that we met were all decent enough.

(All subject to revision after I watch the game sober.)