LJS: Steven M. Sipple: There's Winston, then there's Ameer

http://journalstar.com/sports/columnists/sipple/steven-m-sipple-there-s-winston-then-there-s-ameer/article_392fdd66-ba5e-57f3-8ce4-18d29886810a.html

By STEVEN M. SIPPLE / Lincoln Journal Star

There's Jameis Winston, and there's Ameer Abdullah.

There was Jameis Winston standing on the sideline wearing a beat-up ball cap Saturday night, watching his team struggle, and there was Ameer Abdullah running "like a man possessed," said Nebraska football coach Bo Pelini.

"I'll tell ya, I've been around a lot of football," Pelini said. "No. 8 showed how special he is tonight."

• Fire 2

i really hope that after the last two heisman winners, they take character into consideration. ameer is a class above the rest in that regard. why should they not consider it? they are awarding student athletes.

There was a lot of talk about that in 1972, about whether a convicted felon should win the Heisman. A lot of Nebraska fans felt it should be decided on the field back then.

• Fire 1

On the field play should be the top consideration yes. But if that player is a douchebag when the clock hits 0 and he goes and does douchey things that keep him off the field it has to be taken into consideration.

Ameer is top notch in terms of off field character and on field productivity. Honestly havent seen another player this year I would rate above him.

Jameis is an absolute asshat.

There was Jameis Winston standing on the sideline wearing a beat-up ball cap Saturday night, watching his team struggle,

And there was Jameis who came out suited up prior the game thinking he was going to play in the 2nd half. Either nobody told him he was suspended for the entire game (which I have to believe he was in fact told) or he was just too stupid and cocky to think it really was going to happen.

Ameer is a class act all the way!!

The heisman can keep their immature brats. I said before and im dead serios. The heisman does not deserve Ameer Abdullah.

3 of the last 4 are POS's, but I respect the hell out of RGIII, Bradford, Tebow. And have nothing against Leinert, Palmer, Dayne, Jason White, Crouch, Weinke, Troy Smith, and Ingram. Not to get ahead of myself, but Ameer on national stage with a mic in front of him would be GREAT.

• Fire 1

The heisman can keep their immature brats. I said before and im dead serios. The heisman does not deserve Ameer Abdullah.

3 of the last 4 are POS's, but I respect the hell out of RGIII, Bradford, Tebow. And have nothing against Leinert, Palmer, Dayne, Jason White, Crouch, Weinke, Troy Smith, and Ingram. Not to get ahead of myself, but Ameer on national stage with a mic in front of him would be GREAT.

yes it would be. I agree. I shouldnt be such a dick about it. Ameer really does deserve such an opportunity. Its just the trend lately. And im so sick of these immature brats pullin crap and havin some folks brush it off ass "meh. Hes a college kid". And if thats the path they wanna go in, awarding that much prestige and fame to 19 year old college redshirt freshman who cant handle it so be it. I think thats a huge problem right now. Theres a huge difference in maturity from a 1st year college kid to a 3rd or 4 th year college man.