Kansas' Tax Experiment

So, in essence.....if you own a business, you pay no income taxes.

Well, that's just silly.

Now, for a long time, have proposed a plan where manufacturing companies would have zero income taxes (as a business). But, you then have to tax the people who benefit from that company (owners, employees...etc).

You can't not tax both and expect to have tax revenue.

I'm guessing the number of S corps and sole proprietorships grew rapidly in Kansas.

So, in essence.....if you own a business, you pay no income taxes.

Well, that's just silly.

Yes. This. Exactly.

Now if your business employs a secretaries . . . of course they have to pay taxes.

I was coming here to type the bold. Talk about redistribution of wealth ...

You can't not tax both and expect to have tax revenue.

The idea was that it was going to light a fire under the Kansas economy. You know . . . the old rising tide lifting all boats myth.

What it actually did was made the rich richer and now they have to cut benefits for the poor to pay for it.

So basically, it's the GOP in a nutshell.

• Fire 1

What it actually did was made the rich richer and now they have to cut benefits for the poor to pay for it.

And their base is largely Christian, and GOP policies & the effects of those policies are the antithesis of what Christ calls Christians to do. It's baffling.

And their base is largely Christian, and GOP policies & the effects of those policies are the antithesis of what Christ calls Christians to do. It's baffling.

I'd say that a good portion of them are probably Christianists rather than Christians.

Also, if you want to be depressed read What's the Matter with Kansas.

Hailed as "dazzlingly insightful and wonderfully sardonic" (Chicago Tribune), "very funny and very painful" (San Francisco Chronicle), and "in a different league from most political books" (The New York Observer), What's the Matter with Kansas? unravels the great political mystery of our day: Why do so many Americans vote against their economic and social interests? With his acclaimed wit and acuity, Thomas Frank answers the riddle by examining his home state, Kansas-a place once famous for its radicalism that now ranks among the nation's most eager participants in the culture wars. Charting what he calls the "thirty-year backlash"-the popular revolt against a supposedly liberal establishment-Frank reveals how conservatism, once a marker of class privilege, became the creed of millions of ordinary Americans.

A brilliant analysis-and funny to boot-What's the Matter with Kansas? is a vivid portrait of an upside-down world where blue-collar patriots recite the Pledge while they strangle their life chances; where small farmers cast their votes for a Wall Street order that will eventually push them off their land; and where a group of frat boys, lawyers, and CEOs has managed to convince the country that it speaks on behalf of the People.

http://www.amazon.com/Whats-Matter-Kansas-Conservatives-America/dp/080507774X

OK guys, I am probably what you all would call the typical GOP base, well, because I am to a large extent the typical GOP Base, but this Brownback tax ideas is asinine.

• 1 month later...

Here is a flip side of the Kansas tax experiment with regards to Minnesota. I wish Carlfense was still around to comment.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/carl-gibson/mark-dayton-minnesota-economy_b_6737786.html

I am in no way shape or form disagreeing with his tax increase on the rich or raising the minimum wage.

However, look at the years being discussed. The governor before him, was there during the worst national recession in a very very very long time. He then took over as governor in 2011 when the national economy started improving. If you look at job creation nationally, I'm pretty sure you are going to see very similar growth rates during those years.

So, I have a hard time with someone claiming his policies are what has miraculously changed everything in Minnesota.

Heck....the increase in minimum wage hasn't even taken affect yet.

Here is a flip side of the Kansas tax experiment with regards to Minnesota. I wish Carlfense was still around to comment.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/carl-gibson/mark-dayton-minnesota-economy_b_6737786.html

I am in no way shape or form disagreeing with his tax increase on the rich or raising the minimum wage.

However, look at the years being discussed. The governor before him, was there during the worst national recession in a very very very long time. He then took over as governor in 2011 when the national economy started improving. If you look at job creation nationally, I'm pretty sure you are going to see very similar growth rates during those years.

So, I have a hard time with someone claiming his policies are what has miraculously changed everything in Minnesota.

My point for posting this wasn't the comparison between Pawlenty and Dayton. It was Dayton and Brownback. And the years they implemented their plans were similar with very different results.

My point for posting this wasn't the comparison between Pawlenty and Dayton. It was Dayton and Brownback. And the years they implemented their plans were similar with very different results.

I understand why you did it. However, the article goes into great detail about what I said.