Just a mere Abdullah?

VA Husker2

For the life of me, I do not understand the shunning given this kid by the media. Today on Sportscenter his name was not mentioned in the top four Heisman candidates.

Does character and purpose hold no value with these morons? Not enough flash?

He has the stats, he has the academics, he has the drive. I guess what he doesn't have is the rap sheet.

The other day, I heard Todd Gurly's name still mentioned in the race. WTF. Jamius Winston, WTF.

My advice to you, Ameer, is, get drunk, steal a runza, get arrested. You might then gain the notoriety you deserve.

• Fire 2

Ameer Abdullah has gotten tons of love on ESPN and tons of respect among speculative Heisman voters in a tight race with several worthy opponents. Ameer's high character has been a story in itself for more than a year.

His media stock even rebounded from a very poor showing in Nebraska's biggest game of the year at MSU, and the Rutgers game on ESPN was a total Abdullah celebration. As Ameer broke Archie Griffin's career yardage record leaving him behind only Ron Dayne in the Big 10, the ESPN commentators said since both of those men had Heisman's, Ameer deserves one, too. Ameer's touchdown against McNeese State was an ESPN favorite for weeks.

But then Ameer had 1 yard in 6 carries with an injury and a bye week. That's enough to take you down a notch. It's unfortunate but not unfair. Melvin Gordon has better numbers at the moment. None of which is a media creation.

This week Ameer goes head to head with Melvin Gordon. He will need a massive performance, but it could put him back in the conversation.

Ameer is a great story. Dropping down the Heisman list hardly means he's being shunned.

• Fire 4