How should we act?

This board has reached a crossroads. The people who believed we might turn a corner are becoming fewer and fewer by the day.

The crew of people who are so fed up that they are hoping we lose out so Bo is forced out is growing by the second.

And then you add a guy like Kenny Bell who basically is insulting people for being mad and sharing said opinions.

So my question to Kenny, Bo and others is how do you think the fans should act after a loss like that?

I agree that we shouldn't go to twitter to bash players directly. Or call them out if you see them in public, but Kenny went after message boards... Why cant i share my negative opinion on here? Why cant people call in to a radio station to complain?

One of the things that has made many of us fall in love with Husker football is the passion of its fan base. But players and coaches only seem to like that "passion" when it is positive. We have high expectations, but seeing that we fill that stadium up every week, wear red and are considered by some to be one of the best fanbases(different thread to argue this) what do you expect with that level of passion?

I believe we have every right to be upset and voice our displeasure. Last time i checked, many of us own a closet full of Nebraska gear and have been to countless games(both home and away). I have spent more money than I would like to admit to support this team, and so i should have every right to have high expectations for a team with this talent level.

And when I(as a fan) am called out for questioning the program after being embarrassed on national TV, ya i do get upset. It seems to me like one of the biggest issues is Bo doesn't point the thumb... and yet even though he blames execution(therefore blaming the players), the players keep coming to his defense.

What would happen if after the game the O-line or someone else blames coaching preparation? or "Hey, we just weren't prepared for this and therefore when we executed on what we had planned it still didn't work--that is on the coaches"

Every piece of evidence we have shows that it isn't on the execution.. its on the scheme.

So, i ask other Huskerboard members(especially people who agree with Kenny/Bo), how should we as a fan base act after a loss like that?

• Fire 3

And when I(as a fan) am called out for questioning the program after being embarrassed on national TV, ya i do get upset.

Seems like you're having pretty much the same reaction to criticism that Kenny Bell is having.

Not really. I think Kenny Bell has a right to defend himself, but he called out fans for basically being "too passionate".

I am saying that our passion(both good and bad) is what makes the Huskers special. And he doesnt seem to mind that passion when he is flashing his hand symbols, but as soon as it turns negative he thinks we are too passionate?

Kenny Bell has a right to defend himself and the team, but understand why people are mad. I wish he said something like "Ya, the fans have a right to be pissed. We got destroyed, and I for one am just as pissed if not more. What we put out there is not a fair display of how hard we work and what we are capable of... I cant worry about what the fans are saying,but they probably have a point and we need to get out there and figure this out"

It seems like he doesnt think it is fair we are upset and wanting change.

In fairness, we don't know what he's been reading. There is a good amount of earned criticism to be read and there is good amount of venom. From a person's perspective that is physically contributing to the team on the field it may seem overboard. He might think you can say, "Hey that sucked, Kenny." But not "You guys suck, your OC sucks, your HC sucks, your OLine is all sh#t, and you guys don't have the heart to match up against big teams."

And when I(as a fan) am called out for questioning the program after being embarrassed on national TV, ya i do get upset.

Seems like you're having pretty much the same reaction to criticism that Kenny Bell is having.

Not really. I think Kenny Bell has a right to defend himself, but he called out fans for basically being "too passionate".

I am saying that our passion(both good and bad) is what makes the Huskers special. And he doesnt seem to mind that passion when he is flashing his hand symbols, but as soon as it turns negative he thinks we are too passionate?

Kenny Bell has a right to defend himself and the team, but understand why people are mad. I wish he said something like "Ya, the fans have a right to be pissed. We got destroyed, and I for one am just as pissed if not more. What we put out there is not a fair display of how hard we work and what we are capable of... I cant worry about what the fans are saying,but they probably have a point and we need to get out there and figure this out"

Kenny Bell isnt calling the fans out for being too passionate. He is calling the ones out that have unrealistic thoughts that we can win 11-12 games every single year. He would love to just as much as alot of posters would love to get a ring or trophy for what they do on the field. If everyone was just mad and complained about losses with out calling for some ones job it would be a different story.

I've been a Husker long before Kenny Bell got here and I'll be a Husker long after he's gone. I'll do and say whatever the hell I want and I'll see both the good and bad consequences of my choices. Kenny gets the same right as a man. I guess myself, if I were a player on this team and I just got my ass beat on national TV in record setting fashion, I'd probably focus in a bit, work a little harder on some things I need to improve, and try to help my teammates prepare in a way that won't allow that ass beating to happen again. Kenny and some of his senior teammates have taken ass beating like this on national TV for each of their seasons here. If instead of the things I listed above, he wants to head to twitter and hate on what many consider the greatest most passionate fan base in college football, then that is his choice. It doesn't seem productive, but hey, he's a kid and I know as a kid and as a grown man I've done some pretty unproductive stuff. Maybe coming here and talking about all this is pretty unproductive but I'll tell you this much. I come here because I don't have the power to directly impact this team in a positive way. Nothing I do or say should affect how these kids play on Saturday. Kenny Bell does have that power and apparently going on Tweeter and arguing with fans is what he chooses to do with it. Good for him.

• Fire 1

If everyone was just mad and complained about losses with out calling for some ones job it would be a different story.

Agreed.

Kenny Bell isnt calling the fans out for being too passionate. He is calling the ones out that have unrealistic thoughts that we can win 11-12 games every single year. He would love to just as much as alot of posters would love to get a ring or trophy for what they do on the field. If everyone was just mad and complained about losses with out calling for some ones job it would be a different story.

I think most don't expect 11-12 every year. Once would be nice, along with a championship though.

But he doesn't care about the score or stats anymore.

So, i ask other Huskerboard members(especially people who agree with Kenny/Bo), how should we as a fan base act after a loss like that?

Like it was only a football game.

My question to you, is what percentage of your life / ego / mental well being is dependent on Nebraska football?

When the passion is good, it gets treated like mroe than a football game.. and Bo/Kenny others dont seem to mind that passion... or how fans follow them across the nation spending lots of money on the team to cheer them on and support them. Yes, i get it is a football team, but when you have a fan base that does so much more than many others to support this team, some will get rubbed the wrong way when a performance like Saturdays happen and those who have the ability to make changes take no blame for their part.

Nebraska football is very important to me. Mainly because the University of Nebraska is important to me. I dont rely on Husker football for happiness in life.. I make that on my own with great friends and family.

But if Bo Pelini wants people to treat it just like a football game, then they should go to Minnesota or a MAC school...

Passion goes both ways. Right now it is negative, but the positive passion is one of the reasons Nebraska football program is able to pay Bo his salary.

Well Doesn't Ohio St.? The sad part of my day watching this game was the fact that my wife and kids were waiting for me to go off like a raging nut......and I didn't I pretty much just sat in my chair and shook my head. I think there are a lot of people that did the same thing and used to have a lot more passion for Husker football for my its Husker athletics and my family as well, but getting our asses handed to us after two very sloppy games was just....I am not sure what the right word is.

• Fire 2

Every single year? He hasn't done that once in his career here. Neither has his coach. Slow down with all that, its just not true.