Players boycotting the bowl game?

Hammerhead

I don't think the players boycott the bowl.

I could see them players taking the bowl game and all of the goodies that go with it, bend the rules about what they can or can't do, and then just phone in a performance.

It will be interesting to see if the various bowl committees treat us like Nebraska like it has AIDS, though.

The players say that Pelini doesn't just coach, he develops men. I'll take them at their word and expect them to play hard in the bowl game.

Great thought. If Pelini is as good of a mentor as the players think, he would have taught them to honor their commitments, go play like men, and represent the university that is providing their education. No one gains or looks good from petty actions like a bowl boycott.

There are a group of idiots on a private Husker message board who are actually planning to talk to players and recruits to get them to go elsewhere other than Nebraska.

It's kinda ironic that alot of these people were the same folks who lectured others about not being 'true fans', but yet are even discussing doing garbage like this.

• Fire 1

There are a group of idiots on a private Husker message board who are actually planning to talk to players and recruits to get them to go elsewhere other than Nebraska.

It's kinda ironic that alot of these people were the same folks who lectured others about not being 'true fans', but yet are even discussing doing garbage like this.

Which board?

I could see them players taking the bowl game and all of the goodies that go with it, bend the rules about what they can or can't do, and then just phone in a performance.

It will be interesting to see if the various bowl committees treat us like Nebraska like it has AIDS, though.

Oh dear God. So on the basis of speculative ruminations by unnamed persons on a social networking site, you're now castigating the players and their ethics on a board that is read by potential recruits and their parents.

If there is that level of angst––and I would be shocked if 100% of the players would buy into that kind of craziness––it will certainly blow over when the new coach is announced and those players realize that everyone is now auditioning for positions again.

We gotta stay united. No room for this "us and them" crap anymore. Pelini is no longer our coach but we are still Nebraska.

This ^

I'd likely even give them props for all sitting out one scheduled practice as a show for Bo. But beyond that, I support a hard line by the administration and future coach. These players need to remember that they play "for" the University and are scholarshipped to do so. You boycott the bowl game, you sit out spring practice and start over on the depth chart. Be dedicated to the coach for sure, but be committed to the program.

Which board?

HPH.

The players say that Pelini doesn't just coach, he develops men. I'll take them at their word and expect them to play hard in the bowl game.

Great thought. If Pelini is as good of a mentor as the players think, he would have taught them to honor their commitments, go play like men, and represent the university that is providing their education. No one gains or looks good from petty actions like a bowl boycott.

And I'd bet Polo's paycheck that is exactly the message Bo will give to the players when he gets to address them tomorrow. He may not be the right coach for us, but I do think the man has his stuff straight as far as this goes.

THE most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. Ranks right up there with considering hiring Jim Tressel !!!

I'm on a few Husker-related groups on Facebook, and buried among the massive freakout over the announcement of Pelini's dismissal are several people mentioning that the players are boycotting the bowl game now. Obviously these Facebook groups aren't exactly hotbeds of intelligent discussion, and some of the people in those groups will latch on to the first rumor they hear and refuse to let go, so I'm not putting a whole lot of stock in this (especially since most of the people mentioning a player boycott are the ones who are upset, maybe even downright furious, over the decision, which makes me think it's just sour grapes talking), but since I didn't see any discussion of it here, I figured I'd see if anyone else is seeing mention of such a thing, whether from the players or other reliable sources.

A simple message to the compliance department would end that.......

And I'd bet Polo's paycheck that is exactly the message Bo will give to the players when he gets to address them tomorrow. He may not be the right coach for us, but I do think the man has his stuff straight as far as this goes.

That's a good bit of scratch, kimosabe.