Positive college football coaching effect: Mike Riley

Saunders

Mike Riley is the kind of coach that this analysis really favors, and with good reason. Among programs in FBS AQ conferences there are few that could be argued are more disadvantaged than Oregon State’s (Washington State, Duke, Wake Forest and Kansas State and maybe a few others). Riley has to be Mr. Do-More-with-Less for Oregon State to even remain respectable, let alone finish a year nationally ranked, which the Beavers have in four of the last seven seasons.

What is probably most interesting is that the Riley’s success at Oregon State hasn’t been driven by any cutting edge offensive or defensive schemes. On offense the Beavers run a fairly standard one-back "pro style" scheme. On defense, they run an aggressive 4-3. Riley gets it done the "old fashioned" way. What his program is really all about is superior talent evaluation and strong player development.

The raw materials Oregon State has to work with aren’t generally considered great, or even very good. The bulk of Oregon State’s recruits over the past decade or so have been ranked two stars by Rivals and Scout. And the Beavers’ biggest impact players, as measured by NFL draft selections, have most often come out of nowhere in terms of recruiting evaluations.

http://www.footballstudyhall.com/2013/9/3/4690620/college-football-best-coaches-mike-riley

• Fire 2

Mike Riley is the kind of coach that this analysis really favors, and with good reason. Among programs in FBS AQ conferences there are few that could be argued are more disadvantaged than Oregon State’s (Washington State, Duke, Wake Forest and Kansas State and maybe a few others). Riley has to be Mr. Do-More-with-Less for Oregon State to even remain respectable, let alone finish a year nationally ranked, which the Beavers have in four of the last seven seasons.

What is probably most interesting is that the Riley’s success at Oregon State hasn’t been driven by any cutting edge offensive or defensive schemes. On offense the Beavers run a fairly standard one-back "pro style" scheme. On defense, they run an aggressive 4-3. Riley gets it done the "old fashioned" way. What his program is really all about is superior talent evaluation and strong player development.

The raw materials Oregon State has to work with aren’t generally considered great, or even very good. The bulk of Oregon State’s recruits over the past decade or so have been ranked two stars by Rivals and Scout. And the Beavers’ biggest impact players, as measured by NFL draft selections, have most often come out of nowhere in terms of recruiting evaluations.

http://www.footballstudyhall.com/2013/9/3/4690620/college-football-best-coaches-mike-riley

Perfect! I can't wait to see what he does with some resources and recruiting cachet.

• Fire 1

In Sean We Trust!

I trust that SE got us what he thinks is the best man for the job. At first I was a bit flummoxed, as were many. I am still undecided regarding where I think this ends up in terms of W/L records and so on.

He's OUR coach now, and I will support the man and cross my fingers that this turns out well.

And where ARE all the people that claimed ANYONE was better than Bo, that ANYONE AT ALL could win 9 games with our talent and schedule? Suddenly they seem to have reconsidered that stance, at least some of them. I believe Riley will work out just fine. Will his 'fine' be good enough? I have no idea, but I hope so.

• Fire 1

In Sean We Trust!

I trust that SE got us what he thinks is the best man for the job. At first I was a bit flummoxed, as were many. I am still undecided regarding where I think this ends up in terms of W/L records and so on.

He's OUR coach now, and I will support the man and cross my fingers that this turns out well.

And where ARE all the people that claimed ANYONE was better than Bo, that ANYONE AT ALL could win 9 games with our talent and schedule? Suddenly they seem to have reconsidered that stance, at least some of them. I believe Riley will work out just fine. Will his 'fine' be good enough? I have no idea, but I hope so.

So true. The reality is there was no chance we'd land any of the big names floating around, but like you said, it's funny how many of the Bo-Leavers are freaking out. Hey, Bo is gone, anyone has to be better, right? Regardless, I'll support the new guy and the players. However, I will admit I was REALLY hoping we'd see a return of fullbacks, tight ends, option, and sweeps, but gonna have to settle I guess.

I for one am enraged Coach Riley isn't like that coach who doesn't exist who hires total strangers as assistants.

#Nepotism
I don't think Riley has hired a relative or started one at center.

But you learned a new word today!

nep·o·tism
ˈnepəˌtizəm/
noun
noun: nepotism
  1. the practice among those with power or influence of favoring relatives or friends, especially by giving them jobs.

• Fire 3

I for one am enraged Coach Riley isn't like that coach who doesn't exist who hires total strangers as assistants.

#Nepotism
I don't think Riley has hired a relative or started one at center.

nep·o·tism
ˈnepəˌtizəm/
noun
noun: nepotism
  1. the practice among those with power or influence of favoring relatives or friends, especially by giving them jobs.

Burn.

• Fire 2