Is Riley the Best Candidate We Could Get?

Mavric

How Did We Do?  

140 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I question how many of those guys were actually candidates and not just internet chatter. Might as well throw Saban on the list while we're at it.

I think Saban should be on the list but there should be another question.

After firing another 9 win coach for the second time in a decade, is there a stigma about the HC job at Nebraska preventing us from getting a top talent of the likes of Urban Meyer, Nick Saban or Jim Tressel (whatever names you want to include).

No...

Plus this "the culture needs healing" stuff is crap...

If they suck next year...no one will care about the "culture" if they are great next year everyone will say it was a culture shift...

They did not win enough and they lost big games

this is true... win red, WIN!!

No, there's no stigma.

The people who tend to be critical of the firing of a 9-win coach are often either very loyal to Bo Pelini (not saying that is as a bad thing), very skeptical of the administration to begin with (often correlated, and administrations change anyway), or looks down on Nebraska as an Iowa/Minnesota-level program that should be happy with whatever it gets.

As one media member put it, a coach who doesn't think he is going to or should have to do better, shouldn't come here at all.

Riley used to be the "hot thing". Kyle Whittingham used to be the "hot thing". Both would have made excellent candidates. Riley is very comparable to Bill Snyder. The one noticeable difference being once Snyder got KState rolling the school got behind him. Oregon State never really got behind Riley. His hiring was very shocking to me because he's repeatedly turned the big boys down in the past. I thought he'd retire a Beaver.

We're just not one of the top coaching spots like many want to believe we are. A lot of times there's something you need, but it's not exactly what you want. Mike Riley is that thing we need right now. He's a great coach, and we have a lot of talent on this team. My biggest concern is his age and how long he wants to continue coaching. If he's only a 4-5 year coach, then Eichorst or someone better have an idea where we're headed.

yup, i think he is a transition coach, but he will serve his purpose, i hope.

• Fire 1