Is Riley the Best Candidate We Could Get?

Mavric

How Did We Do?  

140 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

T_O_B.

That's nice. But it's not the championship football that Shawn spoke of.

Patience 74H. I waited from Thanksgiving 1971 till New Years Day 1995 for my first NC. Conference Championships, yes. Bowl Wins, yes. But 24 years for a NC. Just have some patience my friend.

T_O_B

T_O_B.

hows a bout we play a season and NOT win a title before you spew garbage like this over and over.

Dude, I'm simply taking Steve, i mean Shawn at his word.

According to him, it's about championship football. The new guy hasn't played championship football at this level.

I'd say my concerts are legitimate.

T_O_B.

hows a bout we play a season and NOT win a title before you spew garbage like this over and over.

According to him, it's about championship football. The new guy hasn't played championship football at this level.

hes coached for 3? Pac 10 championships? Dont say his teams have never played championship level. And the on that did? 2000 under Ericson? Riley built and developed that team.

T_O_B.

hes coached for 3? Pac 10 championships? Dont say his teams have never played championship level. And the on that did? 2000 under Ericson? Riley built and developed that team.
Maybe I'm off base but which 3 Pac championships did he coach for?

The new guy's second stint success was based off of the foundation that Erickson laid. That's why his last 5 seasons he's been under .500.

He's Oregon States' Ron Prince.

T_O_B.

The new guy's second stint success was based off of the foundation that Erickson laid. That's why his last 5 seasons he's been under .500.

Actually, Erickson's success, I'd argue, was based of Riley's original work. Oregon State was absolutely nothing before Riley got there. Riley got them somewhere.

T_O_B.

hes had his team in position to win the conference late in the season 3 times i think.

Ron prince? Youre beyond ridiculous at this point. Hes actually Oregon Sts Bill Snyder.

Lastly. Its impossible to argue with uniformed people like you with no perspectibe on teality. With that i bid farwell. Enjoy your evening.

I would have added David Cutcliffe to the list. The last guy that managed to win at Duke was Spurrier. I wouldn't have minded him and he'd probably take the job. What about Doc at Marshall? He should've been listed.

As far as the other guys go: We'd have no chance at Patterson or Briles. Who knows what talks happened with Biliema, but I don't see him jumping again already. Whittingham I think we could have gotten, he'd been a solid hire. Don't really want Schiano. Frost obviously wants the job, for me it would get down to who his staff would be?. Would he bring in proven guys or pull a Kingsbury? I'd have been fine with Tressel, he's said he doesn't want to coach anymore, who knows if we tried or if he had any interest. Florida is easier to win at than here, they took us out of the running for McElwain, maybe he'd come here if he hadn't gotten the other offer. I think Mullen should bolt while he has the chance, MSU will be back to their usual next season, but I'm not sure whether he'd be interested.

Whether we got the best guy available I don't know. It's possible, out of the guys listed only Frost and Schiano would definitely take the job. We simply don't know who all was interested.

• Fire 1

I think we could have pulled in Tressel, Frost, McElwain, Wittingham, or Mullen if we had tried hard enough.

Tressel's really the only one that's head and shoulders above the rest (including Riley). Frost might be a mid-major candidate, but that's it. The other guys are hot candidates right now (Wittingham being a little less hot after joining the Pac-12), but Riley has been the hot candidate plenty in his career.

Wittingham interests me the most.

Interesting take. Makes me think of buying stocks. Buying high is usually I'll-advised. Riley has a track record, and a good buy despite not being the "hot thing" of the season
  • Fire 1

Riley used to be the "hot thing". Kyle Whittingham used to be the "hot thing". Both would have made excellent candidates. Riley is very comparable to Bill Snyder. The one noticeable difference being once Snyder got KState rolling the school got behind him. Oregon State never really got behind Riley. His hiring was very shocking to me because he's repeatedly turned the big boys down in the past. I thought he'd retire a Beaver.

We're just not one of the top coaching spots like many want to believe we are. A lot of times there's something you need, but it's not exactly what you want. Mike Riley is that thing we need right now. He's a great coach, and we have a lot of talent on this team. My biggest concern is his age and how long he wants to continue coaching. If he's only a 4-5 year coach, then Eichorst or someone better have an idea where we're headed.

Maybe we'll learn the truth about the search later. Maybe never.

But the fact that the vacancy was filled quickly, took everyone by surprise, and received good to glowing reviews by college football insiders suggests serious due diligence on Eichorst's part.

I'm guessing many of the "splash hires" weren't even on the board because back channels had already confirmed there was no interest in the job. Patience, arm-twisting, salary negotiation would have made no difference. Scott Frost would only have been a spash hire in Nebraska, and that alone suggests he wasn't the best candidate, just a sentimental one. If a splash hire enjoyed two or three good seasons and moved elsewhere, as they often do, he may not have been the best choice, either.

It's Monday. If we didn't have a coach today, things would start getting awkward.

I'm glad we have a coach who wants to be here. The more I learn about Mike Riley, the better he sounds.

It's Morning in America, people.

• Fire 1