Disappointed with all the negativity

Beemer13

I am a Nebraska Cornhusker Fan, like all of you. I am 40 years old, so I wasn't around for most of the Devaney era. I grew up watching the Huskers win, and watching Tom Osborne on the sidelines. This is what I know about being a fan. You cheer for your team, you applaud your opponents and you welcome their fans at your tailgate. You show pride in the program and players because we are run clean and consistently churn out educated and equipped young men. You comiserate with other Husker fans, win or lose, and you always, always speak intelligently about college football in general. Heres what I don't know. WTF happened to that??? All the negativity surrounding the new coach, the players, the Administration, all the angst and downright rude and classless posts I've seen overy the last few days from supposed Husker fans, it sickens me!

There will always be those unhappy with the team on the field or the sidelines or the happenings in South Stadium. But I feel like a lot of our so-called fans need to be reminded of how Nebraska fans behave. We conduct ourselves with dignity, respect and pride. Nebraska tradition is not just about winning and titles, it is about a great fanbase as well. Fans that sell out every home game, travel to away games and bowl games, treat others with respect and take deep pride in that. Nebraska fans are known as the greatest fans in college football. I wish we would act like it.

Please take a moment to consider this before you post that comment about how our new coaching staff will fail, about how the adminitiation should all be fired or about how we are going to suck in the next 5 years. At the end of the day the team plays for us, the recruits come for the fans and atmosphere and to be part of something special. Please don't ruin that for the rest of us!

• Fire 9

It might be a result of social media, I almost threw up when we went for two in the '84 Orange Bowl and I know like half my 4th grade class missed school that following Monday, I think the entire state was sick. Just imagine if we had FB, forums, etc. back then what the chatter would be? If you notice on this board and others, when we lose we all go crazy and when we win we take a break from the negativity. But all in all, I love the passion we as Husker fans shows on a daily basis and although the negativity can get a bit ridiculous, I think we all just want a great team and coaching staff that returns us to national prominence. My two cents. P.S. I am excited about Coach Riley, took me a day or so to warm up but I like what I see and am anxious to find out more about him...

Its just the same thing around and around beemer. When your Ad says money is no object you think hes going out and grab a BMW or a Jaguar or maybe a Escalade . And he come home with a old chevy truck. Doesnt mean it still doesnt help get the job done, but it doesnt look as flashy and may take a bit to get it started. Thats how this feels to me, nothing wrong with old trucks, just if i told my wife i bought her a new car and came home with an old truck. She would give me the WTH look, which is what alot of people are doing.

• Fire 4

Well said! Everyone has doubts but all we have is hope. Could go either way but I have faith in Eichorst and Riley. They won't fail without giving 100% that I know for sure. Getting beat by teams that are truly better than us would be a breath of fresh air. I truly believe at this time there is only one team in our conference that top to bottom is more talented than we are. We need sound teaching and yes execution. We need our Husker heart back. That is the obstacle we face day by day. GO BIG RED

If Einchorst wouldn't of said money is no object that i dont think alot of people would question his move. They would of questioned it to an extent but maybe been like well this is what he could get. But when you say money isnt an issue you think hes gonna throw the bank vault and Saban, or Miles, or even Tressel to get the job done here. He didnt do that so alot of people are taken back by it.

I have seen a lot of negative posts, but I would say it's mostly because we are all fans here, and we want the Huskers to be really good again. We want to win conference championships and be in the mix for either one of the prestigious bowl games or the national championship. The last decade has been hard on all of us (at least for me anyway, but I think most would agree). I think Bo did an okay job and brought some hope back after Callahan, but he didn't get us to quite the spot we wanted to be in. Enter Mike Riley. I'm anxious to see what kind of staff he surrounds himself with, what they can do with this year's recruiting class, and what the team will look like next year.

FWIW, going for two was the right call.

• Fire 2

If Einchorst wouldn't of said money is no object that i dont think alot of people would question his move. They would of questioned it to an extent but maybe been like well this is what he could get. But when you say money isnt an issue you think hes gonna throw the bank vault and Saban, or Miles, or even Tressel to get the job done here. He didnt do that so alot of people are taken back by it.

People would have bitched about whatever coach was hired whether it was Riley, Tressel, Saban or Meyer. People would have found a reason to bitch. It's the nature of Huskerboard. Eichorst, believe it or not, was in a lose-lose situation. He wasn't going to make everyone happy.

• Fire 2

I feel out of place, being one of not many Husker fans who knew about Mike Riley. Which is mostly due to having a friend that went to OSU. He always gushed over Riley and talked about how well he would do at a big time program. I hope he's right.

i was kistenin to 1620 when it came across. Like tou, i knew who he was and where he was at, so i didnt really have much of an initial negative reaction. I knew he had done a lot of good things up there. But my approval was still a 5 until i did the reasearch of the circumstances up there. Things like osu bein the lowest budget power 5 program. Dealin with the entire nike corp 40 miles up the road. Seein the kinda person he is. Seein how hes been every whereat at all levels. His contact list for assembling a staff with the "blank check" is very comforting. Seeing the high profile programs that have wanted him recently, ucla, USC, Wiscy showed interest when they hired andersen, bama. Its intriging. Theres obviously more to this guy than record. My approval of this hire has risen to s 7.5.