The coaching change……..ancillary benefit(s)...?

Comish

With respect to all the volleying arguments of the pro-Bo and anti-Bo discussions, given that the change is now reality……. (Exclusive of the obvious w/l record, recruiting, organizational and delegating skills, etc. on-going debates)………what are the potential extra benefits?

I’d suggest (even though a lot of folks are mocking the “Nice Guy" moniker) bestowed upon Riley, that in actuality …..That is a fairly significant Bennie.

Being honest, Bo had become THE FACE of Nebraska football.

Espn dedicated targeted cameras on him at all times…..hoping for another volcanic eruption. That morphed into the national symbol of the program.

By hiring Riley, (defacto, the antithesis of Bo), the PROGRAM gets a makeover opportunity. If he is, as described by most… humble, thoughtful, flexible and measured…….that alone is a positive.

Just like research has shown that attractive people have a built- in favorable bias in hiring/promotions/opportunities in the “real” world, so it would seem that “perceived” stable, rational coaches would benefit as well.

(Notice that you don’t find ethereal, vastly respected intellectual repositories of cerebrosidal gridiron knowledge in sideline reporters. But you DO find such reporter’s personal appearance more reflective of a Model rather than those who might boast a personal vitae comprising stints such as………lets say… a Secretary of State)

So how does this distill into a benefit? I’d suggest a amalgam of smaller bits coalescing into a larger, friendlier IMAGE that can impact everything from officiating calls; to recruiting; to national reporting more likely to focus on positive developments rather than personal antics. (If you are a sideline judge and have a judgment call, does the fact that a scythe-like swing of a ball cap might impact a juggler vs. a modulated adversary asking for clarification make a difference? Theoretically no, but in reality……yes). Does a national story talking about the positives aspects of a program (academic rates, historical excellence, leading brain impact/concussion research, pediatric research funding, etc. rather than the sideline demeanor of the head coach make a difference? Absolutely. Do stories about an ascendant program rather than the drought between conference championships/ record vs. ranked teams/ rehashing past blowouts/ etc. make a difference to inquiring recruits and parents? I’ve got to believe it does.

Now, having said that, it doesn’t erase records or some dismal facts currently trending, but I’d argue that this hire gives us a unique opportunity to change the dialogue and perception. And that is a benefit we shouldn’t take for granted or underappreciate.

• Fire 1

I believe Riley will end up having a much better relationship with Nebraskans and more specifically Nebraska HS coaches. Maybe I shouldn't just say Nebraska but HS coaches in general within 200-300 miles of Lincoln. I believe this has potential to allow him to realize there actually is some talent in this area that is getting missed. Now, I believe Bo did a better job of this than Callyclown. But, I think there is still room for improvement.

He is well known for developing QBs. How about him teaching Nebraska HS coaches how to develop QBs so they are more prepared to potentially play at Nebraska? What would someone like Fyfe be like if his HS coach is teaching him the same techniques being a QB as what the coach at Nebraska is looking for?

• Fire 3

Can't wait for Riley's first sideline tantrum. It will happen and it will be glorious!

Like last year at the end of the basketball season, I made a joke about it. When in the span of 12 days, Tim Miles had berated an official, cussed in a press conference, and been thrown out of a game. That was glorious as well.

Do you think there are "degrees" of berating?

Are there "degrees" of cussing?

And yes, he did get tossed, but I'd suggest that in that circumstance, with that official, it was easily warranted/forgiven . Just like if Bo would have gotten tossed when 1 second was put back on the clock, most fans would have understood and probably concurred.

You're comparing apples and oranges without factoring repetitive behavior.

Can't wait for Riley's first sideline tantrum. It will happen and it will be glorious!

Like last year at the end of the basketball season, I made a joke about it. When in the span of 12 days, Tim Miles had berated an official, cussed in a press conference, and been thrown out of a game. That was glorious as well.

And yes, he did get tossed, but I'd suggest that in that circumstance, with that official, it was easily warranted/forgiven . Just like if Bo would have gotten tossed when 1 second was put back on the clock, most fans would have understood and probably concurred.

he got after an official during the BigTen tournament game that was jsut as bad as we've ever seen Bo do. I wont say excessive, cuz at time, it's just necessary. But he was pretty riled up.

Then the post game presser after the Wisconsin game, he was asked a big picture question about the program. Cant remember the exact question, but his response was "Dont put that crap on me. ............All that bullsh#t..........." Hell, he didnt even apologize for it immediately like Bo did.

Then of course getting tossed from that NCAA game, well, that was just complete garbage.

Im not condemning anything Miles did. And I'm not using them to stick up for Bo. But the fact is, they happened. I thought it was glorious actually. Just a thought that came to mind in when someone brought up the prospect of Riley's first meltdown.

One thing I would like to see out of Mike is more interaction with the fans and atleast an acknowledgement we are there. A prime time opportunity is when he is coming off the field after a game through the tunnel. Being down there a couple of times, Bo never once acknowledged the fans. I mean throw out some high fives to the little kids, give a wave and a smile........I dont know say "Thank you". Small things like that will buy you alot, and i already think the leash is extremely short with Mike doing something this simple might buy him some slack.

The other thing i would like to see is a 24/7 recruiter like Nick Saban. That guy was recruiting in the post game interview of the SEC Championship game. Talking up the SEC and his school. When is the last time you heard Bo do that? Its a perfect opportunity for you to sell yourself and your school to potential recruits.....kids who are 12 years old now may be looking to play for you 5 years from now and will pay attention to things you say. You have to Always Be Recruiting. (A.B.R).

he got after an official during the BigTen tournament game that was jsut as bad as we've ever seen Bo do. I wont say excessive, cuz at time, it's just necessary. But he was pretty riled up.

Then the post game presser after the Wisconsin game, he was asked a big picture question about the program. Cant remember the exact question, but his response was "Dont put that crap on me. ............All that bullsh#t..........." Hell, he didnt even apologize for it immediately like Bo did.

Then of course getting tossed from that NCAA game, well, that was just complete garbage.

Im not condemning anything Miles did. And I'm not using them to stick up for Bo. But the fact is, they happened. I thought it was glorious actually. Just a thought that came to mind in when someone brought up the prospect of Riley's first meltdown.

Fair enough........

I was just having this conversation with someone the other day. Coaching in basketball and football are very very different. If you have coached a long time in basketball and you have never gotten a technical foul....you aren't doing your job. Heck, I know coaches that PURPOSELY got technicals or thrown out of games to get their players fired up and make a point with the officials and very little is ever made of it in the press.

Football??? If the coach gets a personal foul himself, it's usually looked at as a huge mistake and it ends up getting discussed over and over again in the press as a major issue.

I firmly believe that most of the BS in the press about Bo's temper was just that...BS. There are tons of other football coaches that have very similar personalities on the side lines. However, Bo made that bed himself in the first few years at Nebraska. The aTm game with Taylor was way out of line and that really was the incident that caused so much more to be said about it.