The Blame Game

Been at work all day, and just now getting in to see what happened in husker world today, and I'm quite shocked.

I honestly don't know what to think. Is the product of what has been on the field in the last couple of years a result of a coach who hasn't learned to adjust or properly develop players, or the result of a hostile work environment that filtered out to the rest of the program?

I've never worked in any type of a sports program, but I do know what a toxic work environment is and what it does. Say what you want about the pressure not being apples to apples, because in no way was I being paid as much. However, the pressure was life or death situations daily in regards to the safety and security of many people daily.

As I read the different articles related, comments sections, and the actual transcripts, I think I have a bit of perspective that I'll share. Maybe you'll find it useful to wrap your head around it as I am now.

My educational background is in the management of organizations, and thus these are my thoughts on this whole ordeal.

• People have personality conflicts (Appears to be the case between SE and BP)
  • Building an atmosphere that draws a line between the people below you, and the people above you is a bad, very bad idea. Your direct influence can only flow downward to the people who are below you. They have two choices, fall in to your thoughts and perceptions, or leave. BP recruited these guys, hired these guys, and one can only think where their loyalties are.
  • People who lead this way are more often then not have a narrow minded point of views, and/or have been placed into a position of authority with no formal training of leading people. (I believe this was the case with BP as he was being mentored by a CEO when he first was brought on. You have to buy into what people teach you in leadership training, and continue to develop them by reading books of people that you believe in.)
  • In a situation where you have organizational problems and you are in a position to execute change, you are generally the part of the problem, but also part of the solution.
  • An honest self evaluation needs to be conducted. If you can't be honest with yourself, you can't even begin to fix organizational issues.
  • The us against them mentality can be good if it includes the whole organization. (Top to bottom) and...
  • Generally the us vs them mentalities should only be used in a situation where you vs them is a life or death situation as it creates a very strong bond between members. (Obviously the case in the bond, not the life or death situation) This mentality gives a one way street on how the communication flows. Both sides are at war with each other, everyone else suffers.
  • When SE took hold of the position, I believe that he had a clear idea of what he wanted in organizational characters and for whatever reason BP didn't want to, or didn't believe that SE and him can find common ground, or SE made an evaluation that BP wasn't his type of character early on.
  • There is only one way to fix a dysfunctional organization, and that is to pull it apart and put it back together.

Time will tell who is to blame in this whole ordeal. Did SE create the hostility that transferred to the field of play? Or did BP's mentality create an the atmosphere of an us against them and drew the line between the administration and the team? If other programs at Nebraska start to fall apart then I believe that SE (or the person who hired him) is the toxic component in the organization and it wasn't BP. If Nebraska continues to excel, or remain consistent, then I would have to say that the toxic component was BP.

Either way, we've turned the page to a new chapter, and we should all be optimistic. The organizational conflict should be no more, and that is a good thing on all fronts, question is,...Did SE get the right guy?

Hasn't Eichorst only been here a couple of years?

So who's fault were the struggles prior to that? Just curious because I can't remember.

Was it the fans or the media at that time? Or no wait, it was because we can't get recruits at Nebraska. Or no, it was a move to a new conference, that's right. Wait, no shoot! It was injuries those years wasn't it?

Tim Miles gave a talk, I think it was at a coaches' clinic, or a booster meeting. He said "Sometimes you just gotta flush the turd, or it will stink up the whole place."

He was talking about a certain player on the basketball team. Dropped the kid and turned the season around.

SE had to flush the turd. The toxic environment was too much.

Maybe Bo was an energy vampire?

• Fire 2

We have lost a lot of big time recruits after they were here one year. I think they realized that Bo was full of bs and got out. And this problem has led to our depth issues but that's probably the AD's fault to

I'd like to agree with this, but can't. So many other players stayed, and have had nothing but good things to say about Bo. Until former players of his come out and start slamming the guy, I tend to believe that personality conflicts with admin and the line drawn between admin and the team ultimately cost us one or more games a year.

Bo did say that he hasn't ever had the support of an AD that knows football, so I guess TO doesn't count? Maybe there were conflicts there too.

We have lost a lot of big time recruits after they were here one year. I think they realized that Bo was full of bs and got out. And this problem has led to our depth issues but that's probably the AD's fault to

I'd like to agree with this, but can't. So many other players stayed, and have had nothing but good things to say about Bo. Until former players of his come out and start slamming the guy, I tend to believe that personality conflicts with admin and the line drawn between admin and the team ultimately cost us one or more games a year.

Bo did say that he hasn't ever had the support of an AD that knows football, so I guess TO doesn't count? Maybe there were conflicts there too.

he actually said president, which is just as ludicrous

Been at work all day, and just now getting in to see what happened in husker world today, and I'm quite shocked.

I honestly don't know what to think. Is the product of what has been on the field in the last couple of years a result of a coach who hasn't learned to adjust or properly develop players, or the result of a hostile work environment that filtered out to the rest of the program?

I've never worked in any type of a sports program, but I do know what a toxic work environment is and what it does. Say what you want about the pressure not being apples to apples, because in no way was I being paid as much. However, the pressure was life or death situations daily in regards to the safety and security of many people daily.

As I read the different articles related, comments sections, and the actual transcripts, I think I have a bit of perspective that I'll share. Maybe you'll find it useful to wrap your head around it as I am now.

My educational background is in the management of organizations, and thus these are my thoughts on this whole ordeal.

• People have personality conflicts (Appears to be the case between SE and BP)
  • Building an atmosphere that draws a line between the people below you, and the people above you is a bad, very bad idea. Your direct influence can only flow downward to the people who are below you. They have two choices, fall in to your thoughts and perceptions, or leave. BP recruited these guys, hired these guys, and one can only think where their loyalties are.
  • People who lead this way are more often then not have a narrow minded point of views, and/or have been placed into a position of authority with no formal training of leading people. (I believe this was the case with BP as he was being mentored by a CEO when he first was brought on. You have to buy into what people teach you in leadership training, and continue to develop them by reading books of people that you believe in.)
  • In a situation where you have organizational problems and you are in a position to execute change, you are generally the part of the problem, but also part of the solution.
  • An honest self evaluation needs to be conducted. If you can't be honest with yourself, you can't even begin to fix organizational issues.
  • The us against them mentality can be good if it includes the whole organization. (Top to bottom) and...
  • Generally the us vs them mentalities should only be used in a situation where you vs them is a life or death situation as it creates a very strong bond between members. (Obviously the case in the bond, not the life or death situation) This mentality gives a one way street on how the communication flows. Both sides are at war with each other, everyone else suffers.
  • When SE took hold of the position, I believe that he had a clear idea of what he wanted in organizational characters and for whatever reason BP didn't want to, or didn't believe that SE and him can find common ground, or SE made an evaluation that BP wasn't his type of character early on.
  • There is only one way to fix a dysfunctional organization, and that is to pull it apart and put it back together.

Time will tell who is to blame in this whole ordeal. Did SE create the hostility that transferred to the field of play? Or did BP's mentality create an the atmosphere of an us against them and drew the line between the administration and the team? If other programs at Nebraska start to fall apart then I believe that SE (or the person who hired him) is the toxic component in the organization and it wasn't BP. If Nebraska continues to excel, or remain consistent, then I would have to say that the toxic component was BP.

Either way, we've turned the page to a new chapter, and we should all be optimistic. The organizational conflict should be no more, and that is a good thing on all fronts, question is,...Did SE get the right guy?

Crap.

T_O_B