Why isn't there as much public outrage with the cop killer...

NUance

I guess what I don't get is how easy everyone seems to think this job is. This isn't a video game where a marker pops up around a guy determining whether or not he is a threat. You don't know if a guy is carrying something or not. Being able to assess a threat isn't as easy as everyone seems to think it is.

Am I saying what is right and wrong, not at all. Are body cams a good idea, I think so.

This is a job where you are putting your life on the line to protect people who for the most part either despise you or couldn't give two sh*ts about you living or dying.

• Fire 1

I guess what I don't get is how easy everyone seems to think this job is.

I'm guessing that if those people exist they are a tiny minority.

This is a job where you are putting your life on the line to protect people who for the most part either despise you or couldn't give two sh*ts about you living or dying.

When are people going to start appreciating the risks that linemen go through just to provide them with electricity every day?!

Meh. It's not specific to any profession. I can't remember the last time (if ever) I was thanked for doing my job . . . but I don't care because I chose to, and I am paid to, do it.

This video shows how quickly a suspect can go from having his hands in his pockets to the officer being in a fight for his life. Unfortunately, this officer lost his fight, but the body cam shows you how quickly things can go bad and why simply acting like you have a gun can have bad consequences as well and why we act the way we do. The video stops before the officer is killed, so you won't see that thankfully.

• Fire 1
When are people going to start appreciating the risks that linemen go through just to provide them with electricity every day?!

Meh. It's not specific to any profession. I can't remember the last time (if ever) I was thanked for doing my job . . . but I don't care because I chose to, and I am paid to, do it.

because power lines don't sneak up on you and empty a pistol into you, like the two cops in Brooklyn...

because power lines don't sneak up on you and empty a pistol into you, like the two cops in Brooklyn...

And yet it's still more dangerous to be a lineman.

And yet it's still more dangerous to be a lineman.

yeah, because if you get killed as a linemen, how often is it your fault for being stupid?

• Fire 2

http://www.vox.com/2014/9/17/6113045/police-worn-body-cameras-explained

body_cam_results_Rialto_California.0.png

The report found what seems to be a big early success in Rialto, California. Since 2012, all Rialto cops must wear body cameras. In the first year of the program, use of force by officers dropped 60 percent, and citizen complaints declined by 88 percent.

Similar findings applied to other cities with body cameras. In multiple places, there were drops in citizen complaints. In the Scottish city of Aberdeen, there were fewer assaults on officers. And anecdotal evidence suggested a civilizing effect in Phoenix.

Those statistics are crazy but at this point there isn't enough damage to link causation, only correlation.

yeah, because if you get killed as a linemen, how often is it your fault for being stupid?

I have a feeling that you would be offended if I said the same thing about police officers or the military.

That would be a pretty dumb statement to make IMO, officers and military aren't being stupid when some a-hole jumps out of a car and decides to open fire, they're just doing their job. I guess I want to see the statistics on lineman killed every year and see how it compares to officers before I believe it's more dangerous than being a police officer. I'm assuming uncontrollable accidents can occur to lineman, but I imagine their mistakes are what cause them to die. Me simply turning on my lights and stopping someone can cause me to die though, that's not a mistake, that's me doing my job. So am I supposed to not do my job because of that inherent danger? I don't think so.........

• Fire 2

Best I can find right now, Forbes 2012 list of most dangerous jobs, electrical worker deaths in 2012: 26. From officer down memorial page, officer deaths in 2012: 128. And just for the country of Afghanistan our military had 301 deaths in 2012. Law enforcement deaths since 2001 2,172, military deaths since 2001 6,717. Electrical lineman deaths are hard to find them accurately being reported after 2008 from what I'm seeing, but through 2008 296 were killed, so let's double that just to be safe even though it's probably lower than that, that's 592 deaths. Reading an electrical lineman forum all of those guys are saying 99.9% of their fellow workers are killed by their own stupidity and not paying attention to what they're doing. Sure, some officers are killed in car accidents or accidental gunfire, but not all of those car accidents are their fault, not all of those accidental gunfire deaths are their fault.

• Fire 2

And lastly, a lot of these "most dangerous jobs" lists don't even include fireman and police officers anymore. I can only think it's because it is expected that these are dangerous fields and it's almost expected for us to die for what we're doing. Obviously that's my opinion and I'm not saying those folks don't have a dangerous job, but I think that was a pretty bold statement for you to make carlfense.

I have a feeling that you would be offended if I said the same thing about police officers or the military.

That would be a pretty dumb statement to make IMO, officers and military aren't being stupid when some a-hole jumps out of a car and decides to open fire, they're just doing their job. I guess I want to see the statistics on lineman killed every year and see how it compares to officers before I believe it's more dangerous than being a police officer. I'm assuming uncontrollable accidents can occur to lineman, but I imagine their mistakes are what cause them to die. Me simply turning on my lights and stopping someone can cause me to die though, that's not a mistake, that's me doing my job. So am I supposed to not do my job because of that inherent danger? I don't think so.........

That's why I wouldn't say it. Asking how often the death of a lineman is due to their stupidity is every bit as dumb.

Best I can find right now, Forbes 2012 list of most dangerous jobs, electrical worker deaths in 2012: 26. From officer down memorial page, officer deaths in 2012: 128. And just for the country of Afghanistan our military had 301 deaths in 2012. Law enforcement deaths since 2001 2,172, military deaths since 2001 6,717. Electrical lineman deaths are hard to find them accurately being reported after 2008 from what I'm seeing, but through 2008 296 were killed, so let's double that just to be safe even though it's probably lower than that, that's 592 deaths. Reading an electrical lineman forum all of those guys are saying 99.9% of their fellow workers are killed by their own stupidity and not paying attention to what they're doing. Sure, some officers are killed in car accidents or accidental gunfire, but not all of those car accidents are their fault, not all of those accidental gunfire deaths are their fault.

Your numbers don't mean much without the context of how many linemen are employed compared to the number of police officers or servicemen/women.

Edit: Looks like there are around 100,000 linemen in the US. It looks like 30-50 linemen die on the job in a given year. So the chance of death is somewhere between .03% and .05%

Looks like there are around 1.1 million officers employed full time with about 765,000 of those as sworn officers. If we use the lower number of 765,000 and 130 deaths that gives any officer about a .017% chance of being killed in a given year.

So basically . . . linemen risk their lives to do their jobs at a rate somewhere between 2-3 times higher than police.

What's that mean? Not much. Linemen have a tough and dangerous job that they choose to do and we all benefit from it. Similarly, police officers have a tough and somewhat less dangerous job that they choose to do and we all benefit from it. I wouldn't be happy with people diminishing the risks taken by either.

And lastly, a lot of these "most dangerous jobs" lists don't even include fireman and police officers anymore. I can only think it's because it is expected that these are dangerous fields and it's almost expected for us to die for what we're doing. Obviously that's my opinion and I'm not saying those folks don't have a dangerous job, but I think that was a pretty bold statement for you to make carlfense.

There are a lot of dangerous jobs that people choose to do.

Re-read what I wrote. There wasn't a bold statement by me. There was a bold and arguably quite offensive statement by walks . . . but that one doesn't seem to bother you for some reason. Is it because you're an officer and not a lineman? Or am I missing something else?

Lineman aren't being threatened to be killed by people all over the country at this time. They also aren't being threatened by ISIS, Al-Qaeda, and Anonymous the hacker group for the job they chose to do. You may not have come out and made a statement, but I can read between the lines and you even hinting at making that type of statement is real questionable. Lineman aren't being killed by electricity just because of the clothes they wear to work. I disagree with you, simple as that, but then again I chose this job as you keep making a statement of your argument. Obviously I've chose to be shot at and just missed in the past as well.