Why isn't there as much public outrage with the cop killer...

NUance

The Berkley shooting has protesters when the suspect clearly pulled a gun, crazy.

And this shows . . . what?

And your statement showed.....what?

That what seems to be a completely indefensible police shooting didn't spark a protest when the offending officer was fired and prosecuted.

Your turn.

That what seems to be a completely defensible police shooting did spark protests when the cop wasn't prosecuted.

The Berkley shooting has protesters when the suspect clearly pulled a gun, crazy.

That what seems to be a completely indefensible police shooting didn't spark a protest when the offending officer was fired and prosecuted.

Your turn.

That what seems to be a completely defensible police shooting did spark protests when the cop wasn't prosecuted.

And if the rather shady St Louis area police would actually manage to have their dash cam, or body cams ON, then we would completely perfect defense. But for some reason they manage to NOT have either on when rolling up to a black suspect in a very highly charged area. The best case is that these officers are blithering idiots who should not have a job, the worst case is much more nefarious.

• Fire 1

Your turn.

And if the rather shady St Louis area police would actually manage to have their dash cam, or body cams ON, then we would completely perfect defense. But for some reason they manage to NOT have either on when rolling up to a black suspect in a very highly charged area. The best case is that these officers are blithering idiots who should not have a job, the worst case is much more nefarious.

The cost involved to those larger departments is hard to get approved by the city council as far as funding is concerned. If they've never had the program implemented then they start from the ground up and you're talking about outfitting 100's of police vehicles with video camera's and 100's if not 1,000's of officers with cameras. So the city councils are at much to blame in this issue as the police departments are if not more unless the department hasn't tried to get cameras in the first place. We have a state funded grant program here, but as we buy new cars we ask for them so instead of replacing several cameras we might only have to buy a couple extra.

We DO NOT have body worn cameras, but we've been testing different brands for years now, well before any of these issues were even thought of and became topics. I take pride in our department for having that forward thinking. We aren't going to rush into a purchase of a particular brand considering they all have their pro's and con's. Our in-car cameras are ridiculous and are Panasonic Arbitrators that allow for 360 degree viewing around the patrol vehicle along with a camera on the prisoner in the back at all times. Our vehicles are also outfitted with GPS and sensor's that can tell how fast an officer went during a particular time, if they hit their brakes or not, did they use their turn signal, G-force sensors in case of a crash and many other options as well. Awesome piece of equipment that has debunked several false claims against our officers and proved the complainant wrong and have gotten us convictions in court cases.

http://washington.cbslocal.com/2014/12/30/report-gun-deaths-of-officers-jump-56-percent/

The number of law enforcement officers killed by firearms in the U.S. jumped by 56 percent this year and included 15 ambush assaults, according to a report released Tuesday.

The annual report by the nonprofit National Law Enforcement Officers Memorial Fund found that 50 officers were killed by guns this year, compared to 32 in 2013.

In all, the report found that 126 federal, local, tribal and territorial officers were killed in the line of duty in 2014. That’s a 24 percent jump from last year’s 102 on-duty deaths. Shootings were the leading cause of officer deaths in 2014 followed by traffic-related fatalities, at 49.

http://nypost.com/2014/12/29/arrests-plummet-following-execution-of-two-cops/

Angry union leaders have ordered drastic measures for their members since the Dec. 20 assassination of two NYPD cops in a patrol car, including that two units respond to every call.

It has helped contribute to a nose dive in low-level policing, with overall arrests down 66 percent for the week starting Dec. 22 compared with the same period in 2013, stats show.

Citations for traffic violations fell by 94 percent, from 10,069 to 587, during that time frame.

Summonses for low-level offenses like public drinking and urination also plunged 94 percent — from 4,831 to 300.

Even parking violations are way down, dropping by 92 percent, from 14,699 to 1,241.

Drug arrests by cops assigned to the NYPD’s Organized Crime Control Bureau — which are part of the overall number — dropped by 84 percent, from 382 to 63.

Angry union leaders have ordered drastic measures for their members since the Dec. 20 assassination of two NYPD cops in a patrol car, including that two units respond to every call.

It has helped contribute to a nose dive in low-level policing, with overall arrests down 66 percent for the week starting Dec. 22 compared with the same period in 2013, stats show.

Citations for traffic violations fell by 94 percent, from 10,069 to 587, during that time frame.

Summonses for low-level offenses like public drinking and urination also plunged 94 percent — from 4,831 to 300.

Even parking violations are way down, dropping by 92 percent, from 14,699 to 1,241.

Drug arrests by cops assigned to the NYPD’s Organized Crime Control Bureau — which are part of the overall number — dropped by 84 percent, from 382 to 63.

He he, mayhaps the numbers dropped because the police are too focused on retributive justice for their slain comrades instead of doing their jobs.

I'm completely kidding, of course, but numbers can lie, you know.

• 2 weeks later...

Because we should expect better behavior from law enforcement personnel than from lunatic killers.

The quick and easy solution to law enforcement "misadventures" is to require all law enforcement people carry their own liability insurance, much like malpractice insurance carried by doctors.

As of right now, when a cop gets sued, it doesn't really matter to him because the taxpayers foot the bill and the police union shields him from any internal punishment that is more than a slap of the hands. If the cop (such as Officer Daniel Harless, who seemed to make a career out of threatening to kill people at traffic stops) had to buy liability insurance at stratospheric rates, or have it canceled, he would be pushed out of law enforcement before he "retired" due to "post traumatic stress" and the taxpayers wouldn't have had to pay for his criminal behavior.

This is what I think of cops doing for the most part, and what most people think of cops. When the S hits the fan, their job is to protect citizens, and that's what they do.

This guy is either being arrested or at the very least questioned by the cops. Shots are fired at them, and look at their reaction. First thing they do is get the civilian down & protect him.

lnKQXwW.gif

Sure there are bad cops. There are bad corks in a bottle of wine. But I've never run across either, in my personal experience.

• Fire 2

Because we should expect better behavior from law enforcement personnel than from lunatic killers.

The quick and easy solution to law enforcement "misadventures" is to require all law enforcement people carry their own liability insurance, much like malpractice insurance carried by doctors.

As of right now, when a cop gets sued, it doesn't really matter to him because the taxpayers foot the bill and the police union shields him from any internal punishment that is more than a slap of the hands. If the cop (such as Officer Daniel Harless, who seemed to make a career out of threatening to kill people at traffic stops) had to buy liability insurance at stratospheric rates, or have it canceled, he would be pushed out of law enforcement before he "retired" due to "post traumatic stress" and the taxpayers wouldn't have had to pay for his criminal behavior.

I can only say what happens in Iowa, but if the department finds you violated policy, you're pretty much on your own. The officers DO pay the union here for legal assistance, so they pay for that on some level, granted it's not a huge amount they have to pay, but the attorneys have agreed that they'll be paid X for their services. So tax payers aren't paying for those attorneys through the unions, at least here, I don't know about anywhere else.

You're asking officers, who make zilch for money, to have to pay for a "malpractice" type of insurance when doctor's make MUCH more money than police officers? Some cops have to buy their own vests and weapons and that's expensive as hell. Some departments can't buy that stuff and officers foot the bill to protect themselves. That's just a few examples by the way, there are many more examples where we spend our own dime on training, additional equipment, etc. I'd say it's similar to what teachers go through from time-to-time depending on what department they work for. If I had to guess how much money I've spent on stuff my department wouldn't pay for over the past 13 years...................maybe $15,000 to $20,000? Just a guess.............

I pay an undisclosed amount of money for services that will protect me in a wide array of situations should I need them. I feel it's necessary in today's world given what we have to operate in. I won't say what those services are and the amounts I pay and no, most officers I know don't do these things and they may wish that they did.

• Fire 1

I have a good friend that is an officer in Denver and he says that this mentality is spreading. He was telling me that a fellow officer was called to a dispute in a shady part of Denver and when the officer was there trying to help dissolve the situation, he was shot at. It has been happening more frequently according to him and they have thrown around the idea of not responding to certain calls or they go in numbers to those calls.

I have had my run-ins with police when I was in college and I always didn't agree with them but I always showed respect. I salute you BRI for what you do.

Sure there are bad cops. There are bad corks in a bottle of wine. But I've never run across either, in my personal experience.

Do you think if you had a different skin color, that your personal experience would be the same? Honest, non-loaded question - just want to know your thoughts.

Separate question - why does training to become a cop, a serious and dangerous profession, generally require significantly less hours than training to be....a hair stylist, for example?