My son is a youth football All-American. Pre and Post Season

Good to see a bunch of kids playing a real sport and not being tied to mommies apron.

T_O_B

Yeah because they are getting so much out of tackle football at that age. Lol.

Hopefully they play in a headsup league. And from years of working with kids in sports at a young age I know that they learn lots. If you are

worried about your child playing tackle football perhaps she can learn organizational skills by being an equipment manager.

T_O_B

Good to see a bunch of kids playing a real sport and not being tied to mommies apron.

T_O_B

Hopefully they play in a headsup league. And from years of working with kids in sports at a young age I know that they learn lots. If you are

worried about your child playing tackle football perhaps she can learn organizational skills by being an equipment manager.

T_O_B

I am a HUGE proponent of youth sports. It teaches sportsmanship, teamwork, winning/losing, etc. My son plays youth sports nearly year round. I am not sure what age group the OP's son is in, but I don't think tackle football is necessary until at least the middle school level. That's all my point is. I watched a friend's son play tackle football with 8-9 year olds. It was the most worthless game ever. If my son is a "girl" for playing soccer at this point, I guess I can look at changing his name.
  • Fire 1

T_O_B

T_O_B

I am a HUGE proponent of youth sports. It teaches sportsmanship, teamwork, winning/losing, etc. My son plays youth sports nearly year round. I am not sure what age group the OP's son is in, but I don't think tackle football is necessary until at least the middle school level. That's all my point is. I watched a friend's son play tackle football with 8-9 year olds. It was the most worthless game ever. If my son is a "girl" for playing soccer at this point, I guess I can look at changing his name.

Didn't know your boy played soccer. It's certainly a sport that can get the kids in shape and doesn't require weight training which shouldn't

be started any sooner than the second year of high school and is certainly better than getting fat while working on manual dexterity. 6th gradeis a perfect time to start tackle football.

T_O_B

T_O_B

T_O_B

He just finished playing youth football and will begin H.S. this Fall. He started off playing flag football when he was 7. Tackle when he was 9. I think most leagues in Omaha are Heads Up Certified. I believe the league that he was in was the 1st to get H.U. certified.

T_O_B

T_O_B

Didn't know your boy played soccer. It's certainly a sport that can get the kids in shape and doesn't require weight training which shouldn't

be started any sooner than the second year of high school and is certainly better than getting fat while working on manual dexterity. 6th gradeis a perfect time to start tackle football.

T_O_B

Why shouldn't weight training be started until 2nd year of HS? Any certified strength coach etc etc would disagree with that statement

T_O_B

T_O_B

T_O_B

Why shouldn't weight training be started until 2nd year of HS? Any certified strength coach etc etc would disagree with that statement

I'm reluctant to let him now cause I don't want to stunt his growth.

It won't stunt his growth...neither will caffeine...also going out in the cold without a coat will not get him sick and sitting close to the TV will not ruin your eyes.

Buidling mass is such a long term project that your kid, lifiting 3 days a week, won't hurt him at all unless he drops the weight on his toes...the only thing that will stunt his growth is the genes you and his mom gave him. And possibly power lines and nuclear waste...if you live by either of those things.

If you are gonna be short you are gonna be short...if you are gonna be tall you are gonna be tall.

It won't stunt his growth...neither will caffeine...also going out in the cold without a coat will not get him sick and sitting close to the TV will not ruin your eyes.

Buidling mass is such a long term project that your kid, lifiting 3 days a week, won't hurt him at all unless he drops the weight on his toes...the only thing that will stunt his growth is the genes you and his mom gave him. And possibly power lines and nuclear waste...if you live by either of those things.

If you are gonna be short you are gonna be short...if you are gonna be tall you are gonna be tall.

I was short and fat entering high school, I started lifting weights in 9th grade. I was still short and fat, but I was a little stronger and got slightly faster. I was still going to get beat out by a future Husker O-lineman who was a year younger than me.