Climate Change - 2014

2014 Was Hottest Year on Record, Surpassing 2010

A new report names 2014 as the warmest year since records were first kept in 1880. Across all land and ocean surfaces, the average temperature was up 1.24 degrees Fahrenheit over the 20th century average, according to numbers released Friday by the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA). That caused 2014 to pass the previous record-holders: 2005 and 2010. The warmest December since 1880 helped push 2014 into record territory. The same conclusion was reached by NASA, who also called 2014 the warmest year on record in a separate analysis released on Friday.

...the most remarkable thing about the 2014 record was that it occurred in a year that did not feature El Niño...

Gavin A. Schmidt, head of NASA’s Goddard Institute for Space Studies in Manhattan, said the next time a strong El Niño occurs, it is likely to blow away all temperature records.

This would seem like something we should notice, and possibly do something about. Obama's deal with Jinpeng to cut emissions is a step in the right direction, but we could be doing far more.

Unfortunately, reports like this may be jeopardized by Republicans who ignore the data and continue to claim there is no global warming.

The Senate's Environment and Public Works Committee has seen James Inhofe rise to the chairmanship. Inhofe goes well beyond the standard Republican's "I'm not a scientist" line. Inhofe has penned a book in which he calls climate change "The Greatest Hoax." His reason it can't be happening? God is in control. "God's still up there," Inhofe wrote, decrying the "arrogance of people to think that we, human beings, would be able to change what He is doing in the climate... And he's already taken some of that language into congressional debate.

Roger Wicker of Mississippi was the ranking member of the Green Jobs and the New Economy subcommittee, and thus likely to take over. Wicker has joined in on the "war on coal" rhetoric and called climate science "disputed."

Water and Wildlife will likely see Idaho's John Boozman take charge. Boozman has publicly wondered whether climate change might be a natural cycle—"Is man causing it, or, you know, is this a cycle that happens throughout the years, throughout the ages"—which made our list of climate arguments that are so stupid they shouldn't be used.

Florida's Marco Rubio has been given the chair of the Subcommittee on Oceans, Atmosphere, Fisheries, and Coast Guard, which oversees NOAA, a major source of data on our changing climate. Rubio is probably most noted for having dropped the “I'm not a scientist, man,” phrase when asked about the age of the Earth and followed that by saying, “I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries.”

“I do not believe that human activity is causing these dramatic changes to our climate the way these scientists are portraying it,” Rubio said

Ted Cruz of Texas is going to be put in charge of the US' other major source of climate data, NASA, as head of the Subcommittee on Space, Science, and Competitiveness. Cruz is another one who thinks he knows more than scientists. After being asked about the melting of Arctic sea ice, he told CNN "Other parts are going up. It is not—you know, you always have to be worried about something that is considered a so-called scientific theory that fits every scenario. Climate change, as they have defined it, can never be disproved, because whether it gets hotter or whether it gets colder, whatever happens, they'll say, well, it's changing, so it proves our theory."

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2915061/Nasa-climate-scientists-said-2014-warmest-year-record-38-sure-right.html

In a press release on Friday, Nasa’s Goddard Institute for Space Studies (GISS) claimed its analysis of world temperatures showed ‘2014 was the warmest year on record’.

The claim made headlines around the world, but yesterday it emerged that GISS’s analysis – based on readings from more than 3,000 measuring stations worldwide – is subject to a margin of error. Nasa admits this means it is far from certain that 2014 set a record at all.

Yet the Nasa press release failed to mention this, as well as the fact that the alleged ‘record’ amounted to an increase over 2010, the previous ‘warmest year’, of just two-hundredths of a degree – or 0.02C. The margin of error is said by scientists to be approximately 0.1C – several times as much.

As a result, GISS’s director Gavin Schmidt has now admitted Nasa thinks the likelihood that 2014 was the warmest year since 1880 is just 38 per cent. However, when asked by this newspaper whether he regretted that the news release did not mention this, he did not respond. Another analysis, from the Berkeley Earth Surface Temperature (BEST) project, drawn from ten times as many measuring stations as GISS, concluded that if 2014 was a record year, it was by an even tinier amount.

^^^See! There is still a shred of doubt! Let's ignore this!$$$$$

So scientists put out the headline warmest year ever to get headlines with no data then a couple days later release a new report silently that well there's a 38% chance it was. Just more spin on the climate change doomsday, I don't doubt there is global warming but I do doubt the severity and agenda.

^^^See! There is still a shred of doubt! Let's ignore this!$$$$$

So scientists put out the headline warmest year ever to get headlines with no data then a couple days later release a new report silently that well there's a 38% chance it was. Just more spin on the climate change doomsday, I don't doubt there is global warming but I do doubt the severity and agenda.

This would be quite significant if the 2014 data was our only data point. As in, if the case for global warming was based solely on this one study of 2014 temperatures you'd have a point.

It wasn't . . . it isn't . . . and you don't.

Well. This is a thing that happened.

So now it's 2015, and the Senate is debating a bunch of amendments on a bill that would fast-track approval of the Keystone XL pipeline. On Wednesday, they were faced with one from Sheldon Whitehouse (D-RI) that said:

"To express the sense of the Senate that climate change is real and not a hoax."

That one was pretty easy. The Senate voted 98 to 1 in favor of this amendment. So far, so good.

But then came a tougher question. Sen. Brian Schatz (D-HI) put forward an amendment that said:

"To express the sense of the Senate that climate change is real; and human activity significantly contributes to climate change."

So the senators thought about it.

And thought about it.

This was a tricky one.

They thought some more.

In the end, just 50 senators voted "yes" on the question.* But 49 senators voted "no." The amendment failed to pick up the 60 votes necessary to overcome a filibuster.

http://www.vox.com/2015/1/21/7868677/senate-climate-vote

I never know whether to punch someone or laugh like Nicholson as the Joker in Batman when I hear people continue to deny global warming is real; especially the dumbass who said "God is in control." What motive would scientists and teachers have for lying? Why would they make it up? Of course global warming is real. Of course humans are responsible.