Callahan apparantly does care about academics

Look, dont try and change the argument when you are obviously wrong. Once again, it was me who started the thread, than stated that of the 31 players that received honors, 16 of them came in through Callahan. It makes no difference if there is grade inflation or not, as that should just mean that if the hypothesis that Callahan is bringing in dumber recruits who wont do as well academically as the Solich recruits is true, than everyone should benefit equally and Solich recruits should have higher GPA's than Callahan recruits. That is not the case however, and general improvement in the team GPA can definately not be shunted off by grade inflation either, as two years is far to short a time for significant change to occur. There have been no degrees programs added in the past couple of years other than professional golf management, which is a business/agriculture degree, and certainly is more difficult than physical education, which is what it replaced. You attacked the author of the thread, which was me, in your post. You than responded to my post by arguing against a DIFFERENT poster. Now you have me to contend with as well if you are going to continue on this rediculus line of logic that somehow grade inflation has anything to do with the Callahan Solich debate in the time span specified.

For those of you who think that the tradition of academic excellence for athletes wont continue under Callahan, ponder the big twelve honor roll. 31 Huskers were named to the big twelve honor roll for those who have earned a 3.0 gpa or better, and 16 of them are freshman or sophomores, all of which were part of Callahan's recruiting classes.

Nebraska Football Fall Big 12 Commissioner’s Honor Roll Selections (31)

*-indicates 4.0 semester

Name, Pos.                              Yr.      # of Honor Roll Selections

Titus Adams, DT                        Sr.        3

Harrison Beck, QB                    Fr.        1

Bryan Benzel, LS*                    Fr.        1

Lance Brandenburgh, LB            So.      3

Chris Bryant, DT                        Sr.        3

Daniel Bullocks, SS*                  Sr.        1

Wes Cammack, WR*                Fr.        1

Adam Carriker, DE                    Jr.        3

Andy Christensen, OL                RFr.      2

Jordan Congdon, PK                  Fr.        1

Tyler Fisher, DB                        Sr.        5

Andy Kadavy, LB                      Jr.        4

Sam Koch, P                            Sr.        2

Newton Lingenfelter, OL              Jr.        5

Kevin Luhrs, DE                        So.      5

Kurt Mann, C*                            Jr.        7

Josh Mueller, TE                        So.      3

Matt O’Hanlon, SS                    RFr.      2

Todd Peterson, WR                    RFr.      3

J.B. Phillips, TE                        So.      3

Zach Potter, DE                        Fr.        1

Brandon Rigoni, SS                    Jr.        7

Craig Roark, OL                        Fr.        1

Joey Robison, DB                      Sr.        7

Andy Sand, TE                          So.      4

Andrew Shanle, SS                    Jr.        5

Mike Stuntz, DB                        Sr.        9

Blake Tiedtke, FS                      Sr.        9

Dan Titchener, P                        RFr.      3

Dane Todd, FB                          Jr.        7

Tyler Wortman, LB                    RFr.      3

link http://www.huskers.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SP...0&ATCLID=235874

and what 3 out of all of those are callahan scholarship recruits. The rest are either franks or walk ons.

Must be just awful to be going through what you are going through with Callahan here and all..*sigh*..I feel your you...........hmmm, actually, not really.... :horns2:horns2

chad----dude cant you spot a troll when you see one? take a breath and count to 10. rants like that could get you in trouble with the mods.

yes callahan has the program heading in the right direction, but seriously do you really hope that frank dies? it is ok not to like what happened under his watch, but DEATH, very uncool.

Gee, I thought that Callahan had cut the walk on program. I count six frank recruits that were scholarship guys, the same as Callahan.... Your argument still holds no water.

Edited & moved to Offending Posts thread

I might've been a bit late to the prom on this one, but this post is still unacceptable for the general forums. Take this type of stuff Behind the Woodshed or dont post it at all.

Look, dont try and change the argument when you are obviously wrong. Once again, it was me who started the thread, than stated that of the 31 players that received honors, 16 of them came in through Callahan. It makes no difference if there is grade inflation or not, as that should just mean that if the hypothesis that Callahan is bringing in dumber recruits who wont do as well academically as the Solich recruits is true, than everyone should benefit equally and Solich recruits should have higher GPA's than Callahan recruits. That is not the case however, and general improvement in the team GPA can definately not be shunted off by grade inflation either, as two years is far to short a time for significant change to occur. There have been no degrees programs added in the past couple of years other than professional golf management, which is a business/agriculture degree, and certainly is more difficult than physical education, which is what it replaced. You attacked the author of the thread, which was me, in your post. You than responded to my post by arguing against a DIFFERENT poster. Now you have me to contend with as well if you are going to continue on this rediculus line of logic that somehow grade inflation has anything to do with the Callahan Solich debate in the time span specified.

I'm guessing this is directed at me.. let me see if I can recreate what has been written just so there aren't too many misunderstandings.

1. Stuck in Chicago posts the list of honors athletes by the big 12.

some commentary in between...

2. Husker Rob posts, "Lets see about the recruits benard.

Crag Roark

Zach Potter

Harrison Beck

Jordon Congdon

Lance Brandonburg

J.B. Phillips"

3. I reply "Brandenburg was originally recruited by Solich, but signed with the new staff and Callahan in the 2004 class.

Phillips signed with Solich in 2003"

Note the lack of commentary in this post, I was simply replying to what I thought was his question on these players. Brandenburg and Phillips were associated with Solich in some way, the others were Callahan's, obviously.

4. DJR313 replies to me, "What difference does it make who's recruits are who's? They are all Huskers and since Callahan has become head coach, the team's Grade Point Average has improved. FACT. End of story." Always nice to get a bit of vitriol thrown at you when you reply to someone's question

5. I reply to DJR313, "I don't particularly care. Given what grade inflation is at NU and other state schools, I'm not that impressed by most of the GPA's that these athletes put together. It's just that if someone is going to make a thread about how wonderful Callahan is, they should at least get their facts straight."

I probably shouldn't have put in the last sentence, as I wasn't really questioning StuckinChicago's facts, rather just answering Husker Rob's question. On the other hand, I was PO'd about how DJR replied to me, so i replied in kind.

At this point, people should ask themselves if I have said that the players today are less intelligent, or more intelligent. It seems obvious to me that I said that, "I don't particularly care"

6. DJR replies, "Is there anyway you can prove or disprove that? Or is that just an off-the-cuff remark based upon opinion? I don't understand how you could possibly quantify what you just said. Like you just said, if you are going to post, get your FACTS straight. "

7. I reply to DJR with plenty of information on Grade inflation in our university system. The intention here wasn't to make the point that Callahan's players were the beneficiary of grade inflation so much as to say once again that a 3.0 GPA isn't terribly impressive when the school's average GPA is 3.1. I also point out that any comparison between Callahan and Solich would require showing that, "The only way to accurately say they were doing BETTER is to show that they were at a higher rank versus their peers than under Solich and/or that they were selecting more difficult degrees."

BTW, it doesn't matter whether or not the school added or subtracted POSSIBLE degrees - the important test would be the difficulty of the degrees that were SELECTED by the players. Again, I haven't said whether or not Callahan's players are more or less intelligent than Solich's.

8. DJR replies, and explains that he apparently doesn't understand the clearly stated references for the data I posted. Seems to think that better college preparation is what is responsible for a average college GPA in 1969 being 2.6 and to it being 3.36 today.

9. I reply by once again saying that these lists don't impress me. Shouldn't an "honors" list at least list those students who are ABOVE AVERAGE at their respective institutions. I also noted that my reply was merely in response to someone asking about the 6 recruits above, and that I received a vitriolic reply to my answer.

10. I reply again to tell DJR that the sources were clearly noted, and that a simple google search would give him more than enough information on grade inflation.

11. DJR replies by stating that I misinterpreted the third article link I posted. (suggest that people read this and decide for themselves)

12. I post again with supporting information on grade inflation.

13. DJR replies by saying that apparently there is no grade inflation.. ever. Says that it doesn't reflect the rise in GPA on the team (my posts never suggested that and even laid out a course of research to see what was really responsible for the rise in GPA - see #7 above)

14. StuckinChicago jumps in with, "that if the hypothesis that Callahan is bringing in dumber recruits who wont do as well academically as the Solich recruits is true, than everyone should benefit equally and Solich recruits should have higher GPA's than Callahan recruits." Did I ever say that??

" You attacked the author of the thread, which was me, in your post." Didn't mean to do this and it was a poor choice of words when I was PO'd at another reply. So I apologize for that.

"Now you have me to contend with as well if you are going to continue on this rediculus line of logic that somehow grade inflation has anything to do with the Callahan Solich debate in the time span specified." Again, I never said that. However, I think I give very effective reasons for suggesting why the GPA might not mean much in the context of all the things that were happening.

cheers,

Alan...

This thread is a mess. Wow.

I think what it comes down to, without needless nitpicking is: UNL football player academics has neither risen nor declined since the hiring of Coach Callahn, not in any significant matter anyway.

We can go on harping on theory and obscure "what-if's", but it isn't going to get us anywhere.

I believe the original poster's point in making this thread was to point out that academics for our atheletes in fact have NOT declined since the hiring of Coach Callahan, which some nay-sayers predicted a couple years ago.

I really don't think there is anything productive to be said about this topic any more. Unless someone can come up with some SOLID FACTS about the issue, one way or the other.

Lets see about the recruits benard.

Crag Roark

Zach Potter

Harrison Beck

Jordon Congdon

Lance Brandonburg

J.B. Phillips

what about the preferred walk-ons do they count as recruits? and so what if they are walk ons they are still part of the program and they have to maintain the standards of the team or they dont make the team.

Brandenberg and phillips were solich recruits. So I was off one. Sorry.

and what 3 out of all of those are callahan scholarship recruits.  The rest are either franks or walk ons.

Ugh-

You are never going to get it man. Callahan can be in year 6 of his regime, with 3 North titles and the academics at this high standard and you will still spout the same garbage. Crawl back in your hole. :dumdum

He should have 2 north titles already. The north is so weak right now. In a couple years cu and ksu are gonna be real good again so he better get going.

and what 3 out of all of those are callahan scholarship recruits.  The rest are either franks or walk ons.

Ugh-

You are never going to get it man. Callahan can be in year 6 of his regime, with 3 North titles and the academics at this high standard and you will still spout the same garbage. Crawl back in your hole. :dumdum

He should have 2 north titles already. The north is so weak right now. In a couple years cu and ksu are gonna be real good again so he better get going.

did you not watch any bowls this year? The North is not as weak as people claim. Just because some dude at ESPiN says that it is does not make it so. Mizzou won their bowl game against ESPiN's other love child South Carolina, ISU almost beat a top 15 team, Colorado did ok against clemson but didnt win, and we beat Michigan,

Maybe in a couple years CU and KSU will be ok. they are going to have to recruit like madmen next year because of the coaching switches and we will already be entrenched with Callahan... things are looking up...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grade_inflation

2 pages later and you still don't get it...

This is very obviously a case of you having some sort of vendetta against me and my generation for "having it easier than you did" or so you think. In those studies you look at, it shows nothing of the lowering of grading standards by universities. Is it impossible to think that due to increased resources(the internet) and the increased emphasis on college education and the preparation for college now compared to 30 years ago that GPA's have gone up? This added emphasis is leaving kids more prepared for college courses and therefore giving way to a rise in GPA, not necessarily an inflation. You can pretty much ask any baby boomer if there is more emphasis on preparation for college and getting a college education now as opposed to when they were kids, and they will answer 'yes'. Perhaps you didn't read the matter that I quoted last, so I will repost it.

There are studies that support both sides of that debate, he said.

It all depends on what side you fall on it. There are plenty of theories as to why grades have risen, ON THE WHOLE, but the issue at hand here was the rise in GPA from 2003-2004 and now 2005. I don't think that the GPA's have suddenly been inflated in the past year to reflect the rise in the team GPA.

Grade inflation is not a reality, merely a theory. There are so many variables as to why grades have gone up and there is ample evidence to support whatever side you would like.

You can continue to dedhoarse, but with every swing it doesn't make you less wrong.