Biggest winners and losers from the college football coaching carousel

r06ue1

Winners and losers determined already? So none of the schools have to play games anymore?

That's kind of the sad ass vibe you get from sports media anymore. It's all a big hype machine. If hype was all that matters, then Riley has already failed, Ohio State isn't the current national champion, and the Big Ten West cant compete with the SEC. All three are bullsh#t. I'm glad it's all settled on the field between the coaches and the players and not on message boards or by cocky bastards in suits on tv sets.

Eh, it's just the vibe of guys talking about sports in the off-season. If speculation, name-calling and cocky bastards are off the table, we better shut this board down.

I don't see anyone in the national sports media suggesting Riley has already failed. Most are pretty upbeat about the hire, which was unexpected in all quarters.

I see the national sports media heaping praise on Ohio State, elevating Urban Meyer above even Nick Saban, and generally admitting that the prognosticators -- including themselves -- had the season wrong. Paul Finebaum himself told the SEC nation they'd been whipped fair and square. By a third string quarterback. The "myth" of SEC dominance was based on a pretty good run and a pretty deep conference. No one is denying it ultimately gets settled on the field. That's why they play the games, and why Pat Forde ends his piece with "we'll see."

Did anyone suggest Ohio State wasn't the current national champion? Honestly don't know what media you guys are consuming.

I think it's a sadder-ass vibe when Nebraska fans go to extreme lengths to find perceived slights from some monolithic national entity.

And sports without hype? What would that even look like?

You're having a very hard time with the context of the conversation.

There was no hype around Ohio St. They hardly made it into the playoff. Even after the playoff, many questioned enter they belonged. Hard point to argue now. After the fact.

I'm not wasting my time explaining the lack of hype around the Big Ten West or how the discussion changed after the Bowl games. If you missed all that, you weren't paying attention.

My point about Riley isn't sailing over your head either, but you just seem to have fun trying to create some sort of argument with me lately. This will be the last argument you invite me into that I attend. There isn't a lot of hype around the Riley hire, not comparatively. Thus, the whole context of this conversation and the two comments you quoted for some reason. There's far more hype surrounding other coaching hires.

Which is why I agreed with the point that winners and losers can't be determined until the games are played.

You get a sense from some articles, ESPN analysts, message board posters and other media that some of these situations like we've discussed here ^ have already been determined. As if we know who the winners and losers are. We don't know anything yet. We didnt know Ohio St. was the best team in the country. We didn't know a few Big Ten West teams could compete with the mighty SEC. We don't know that hiring Mike Riley makes us a winner or a loser. Which is why the game is played.

• Fire 2

Pat Forde is a tool. This article is nothing more than one idiots opinion. Mississippi State listed as big winner for keeping Mullen, Colorado State listed as loser for not getting their first choice of Narduzzi but rather getting 2nd choice, Bobo the OC from Georgia, with the reason being he won't stick around long. I guess their screwed no matter who they get. Oregon State listed as winner for RIley leaving and Anderson replacing him........I guess it's not just Huskerboard posters that can't differentiate between a brand and the ability of a coach. Did I mention Pat Forde is a tool?

How dare he question the hire of a coach without a winning history. What a tool indeed.

Really, every guy who questions Nebraska isn't a tool or out to bait us for clicks or anything else. Reality is this hire was a bit of a gamble. Pat Forde is free to point that out.

True, the new hire might be questionable. Brings out discussion.

Reality though, is that Bo struggled with Iowa & Minnesota. And failed ugly against Wisconsin.

Pat Forde is free to point that out first and foremost too.

Winners and losers determined already? So none of the schools have to play games anymore?

That's kind of the sad ass vibe you get from sports media anymore. It's all a big hype machine. If hype was all that matters, then Riley has already failed, Ohio State isn't the current national champion, and the Big Ten West cant compete with the SEC. All three are bullsh#t. I'm glad it's all settled on the field between the coaches and the players and not on message boards or by cocky bastards in suits on tv sets.

Eh, it's just the vibe of guys talking about sports in the off-season. If speculation, name-calling and cocky bastards are off the table, we better shut this board down.

I don't see anyone in the national sports media suggesting Riley has already failed. Most are pretty upbeat about the hire, which was unexpected in all quarters.

I see the national sports media heaping praise on Ohio State, elevating Urban Meyer above even Nick Saban, and generally admitting that the prognosticators -- including themselves -- had the season wrong. Paul Finebaum himself told the SEC nation they'd been whipped fair and square. By a third string quarterback. The "myth" of SEC dominance was based on a pretty good run and a pretty deep conference. No one is denying it ultimately gets settled on the field. That's why they play the games, and why Pat Forde ends his piece with "we'll see."

Did anyone suggest Ohio State wasn't the current national champion? Honestly don't know what media you guys are consuming.

I think it's a sadder-ass vibe when Nebraska fans go to extreme lengths to find perceived slights from some monolithic national entity.

And sports without hype? What would that even look like?

You're having a very hard time with the context of the conversation.

There was no hype around Ohio St. They hardly made it into the playoff. Even after the playoff, many questioned enter they belonged. Hard point to argue now. After the fact.

I'm not wasting my time explaining the lack of hype around the Big Ten West or how the discussion changed after the Bowl games. If you missed all that, you weren't paying attention.

My point about Riley isn't sailing over your head either, but you just seem to have fun trying to create some sort of argument with me lately. This will be the last argument you invite me into that I attend. There isn't a lot of hype around the Riley hire, not comparatively. Thus, the whole context of this conversation and the two comments you quoted for some reason. There's far more hype surrounding other coaching hires.

Which is why I agreed with the point that winners and losers can't be determined until the games are played.

You get a sense from some articles, ESPN analysts, message board posters and other media that some of these situations like we've discussed here ^ have already been determined. As if we know who the winners and losers are. We don't know anything yet. We didnt know Ohio St. was the best team in the country. We didn't know a few Big Ten West teams could compete with the mighty SEC. We don't know that hiring Mike Riley makes us a winner or a loser. Which is why the game is played.

Whatever, chief. There is another point of view, perfectly valid and supported by lots of evidence to the contrary. I gave you some. You didn't refute it.

I'm not sure how you define "hype", but the story of Ohio State squeezing into the last playoff position, jumping a higer rated team that had just won a blowout, then proceeding to defeat Alabama and Oregon and spurring a complete reevalution of conference perceptions was THE story of college football. I honestly can't find an example of a legitimate sports journalist who did not hand full credit and admiration to Ohio State and Urban Meyer.

I don't see anyone pretending that it's all decided before the games are played. I do see strong opinions about what "might" happen and don't see any way around that if we are to continue to talk about football before the games are played.

Mike Riley had his hype during the brief window of his announcement. Then it was on to speculating about other coaches as their hires came around. Harbaugh was a bigger story. There's no slight in that.

I'm not trying to pick arguments with you, True. You're just making some bold blanket statements lately that invite contradiction.

Believe me, it's no picnic defending Tim Beck and ESPN on HuskerBoard. I'm just doing God's work.