KFAB loses radio broadcast rights to Husker games

knapplc

Wow! End of an era.

Not really, there was a time when the Huskers were on KKAR.

When it comes to football, with every game televised, this is not a big deal (other than an FM simulcast), but for the other sports, this is a great move. 590 will air ALL baseball games, including Friday games, and the reach of 590's signal is bigger than that of KFAB's. The only time I ever listen to a Husker football game is in the car and good luck getting KFAB in Des Moines after dark, 590's signal booms in day AND night.

I concur having lived in dm and now Sioux falls. 590 makes a difference for us on the outer limits

It will be different not having Nebraska games on KFAB considering the fact of how long those two entities have been involved with each other. In this Omaha World Herald report: http://www.omaha.com/huskers/huskers-switch-omaha-radio-affiliate-from-kfab-to-kxsp/article_07685be8-b141-11e4-bd4d-b3d2492e6d3d.html

KFAB had broadcast Cornhusker football for 71 years until 1996, when it lost the rights to Pinnacle, which moved the games to radio station KKAR in Omaha. KFAB announced on Nov. 24, 2000, that Cornhusker football would return to KFAB in August 2001.

Ultimately, (and no pun intended here) this is a signal to KFAB that they have to boost the reach of their overall radio signal, especially at night. There is no question that at the present time 590AM has a much wider reach during all times of the day than what KFAB has.

I think in the future Nebraska games will return to KFAB like they did in 2001, but the onus is on KFAB now to make that happen.

I'm guessing it came down to money, Journal outbid Cheap, I mean Clear Channel. 50,000 wats is the max power for an AM frequency and without getting to nerdy explaining it, but there is nothing that can be done about their signal at night.

What's a "radio broadcast"? :D

When I had to work on weekends the 4 hours or pre-game, the game, and 4 hours of post-game made those days a lot more tolerable. The radio call/color also blows away what the TV announcers do. It will be strange not having all of this on 1110-KFAB though.

Wow! End of an era.

When it comes to football, with every game televised, this is not a big deal (other than an FM simulcast), but for the other sports, this is a great move. 590 will air ALL baseball games, including Friday games, and the reach of 590's signal is bigger than that of KFAB's. The only time I ever listen to a Husker football game is in the car and good luck getting KFAB in Des Moines after dark, 590's signal booms in day AND night.

I have read many similar comments regarding the strength of 590's and 1110's signals.

I travel from Omaha to Kansas City weekly for work and I lose 590 and 1110 between Rockport and Mound City, MO-- only 100-120 miles south of Omaha.

So how does 590 come in clear in Des Moines? I had a friend tell me that on some nights, he can get KFAB in Oklahoma City.

Anyways, I'm glad that the broadcast group will remain the same. I enjoy Matt Davison's insight and commentary. and there's a certain allure about "homer" announcers.

Wow! End of an era.

I have read many similar comments regarding the strength of 590's and 1110's signals.

I travel from Omaha to Kansas City weekly for work and I lose 590 and 1110 between Rockport and Mound City, MO-- only 100-120 miles south of Omaha.

So how does 590 come in clear in Des Moines? I had a friend tell me that on some nights, he can get KFAB in Oklahoma City.

Anyways, I'm glad that the broadcast group will remain the same. I enjoy Matt Davison's insight and commentary. and there's a certain allure about "homer" announcers.

Could be the terrain? I know am signals are less tightly directional than fm signals due to the looser wavelength, but at some point the river valleys and bluffs along that route probably affect it.

I'm in kc right now and will be traveling that same route on Saturday. I'll do a test.

• 4 months later...