Mike Riley's 2010 team

Say whatever you want about Oregon State and the success he had. Apologize for his failings. Fine. Maybe that all makes sense.

But he's at Nebraska now. And if starts throwing 30 plus times per game, I have no faith that we will be able to win right away. None.

I read everything about his schemes and what not... and I am left with one feeling... burn it. That's right, at least two seasons, burn them both.

Maybe we can aim for 10 wins in 2017. Maybe.

If Riley was a coach like Callahan that demanded the team run his scheme or die....I would agree with you.

However, this article and others like it make me feel that he understands the need to adapt your scheme to the type of players you have.

LINK

LINCOLN — Mike Riley and Tom Osborne chatted about many things when they met recently for lunch, but Riley in particular sought input on three topics from Nebraska football’s all-time leader in coaching victories.

And on the last of those topics — what offensive style Osborne thought necessary to succeed at NU — the College Football Hall of Famer probably didn’t tell Riley anything surprising.

“He said he thought it was important that a team run the ball,” Riley said. “Because if you’re a team that has to count on throwing 60 times a game, some games that might be difficult, is what he said. And I get that.”

Riley has spent this winter at a crossroads of sorts, a veteran head coach accustomed to a certain offensive style settling in at a place best known for years and years of running the football — and with a dual-threat quarterback as a returning starter.

That has led Riley to stay open-minded as Nebraska prepares an offensive plan for the start of spring practice next Saturday, especially when it comes to a quarterback run game that he never really had at Oregon State.

I am very optimistic about the future of Nebraska Football under Mike Riley. If he can can be competitive with the resources he had at OSU, I see no reason to see why we won't be competing for conference championships (and that's different than just making it to the Conf. Champ. Game and getting smoked) and being "nationally relevant" again.

Those losses are way better than the times he lost to FCS schools

Lol we almost lost to McNeese State and South Dakota State.

Lol near the end of the game one was tied, the other was a 14 point lead. That's slightly different than losing.

Look, I get the offseason optimism. Most hear know I'm one of those guys. But... it seems to me that there's an awful lot of reading of the tea leaves with some of this stuff.

Those losses are way better than the times he lost to FCS schools

Lol we almost lost to McNeese State and South Dakota State.
very true I was just trying to be a smart ass. But you have to look at the good and bad things about Riley not just pick the stats that fit you point of view. It is no guarantee he will be successful here and installing a new coaching staff is never easy. I hope he will be successful here and accomplish what Bo Pelini failed to do, but I also wouldn't be surprised if he had rough time until he has time to get his players in. I'm just concerned what people will be like if he struggles and only wins 6 or 7 games this year.
  • Fire 1

Say whatever you want about Oregon State and the success he had. Apologize for his failings. Fine. Maybe that all makes sense.

But he's at Nebraska now. And if starts throwing 30 plus times per game, I have no faith that we will be able to win right away. None.

I read everything about his schemes and what not... and I am left with one feeling... burn it. That's right, at least two seasons, burn them both.

Maybe we can aim for 10 wins in 2017. Maybe.

I think it's a drawback of Nebraska fans that we are so weirdly specific about the scheme we want our head coach to run. I mean, just get a good coach and let him do what he does, right?

I am sure Mike Riley teams got their butts whupped many, many times at Oregon State. It may be belaboring the obvious point, but again, they were Oregon State. I don't think there's a "yes, but." Programs like that have a pretty low ceiling.

Programs like Nebraska, winning at the level required is NOT easy even for a great coach to do. If you want a reason for optimism, consider that we have the most professionalism by far from those in charge of the football program since the Osborne days. By the time Riley is done here, he will have left a legacy of quality assistant coaches who appreciated their time here, all of whom along with him will continue to set the standard for how a Nebraska coach can embrace the challenge. That's not just refreshing, it's desperately been needed.