Netanyahu Speech

Netanyahu is not to be trusted. He has lied to America to serve his own ends and start wars before. There is no reason to believe he's not doing it again.

Leaked cables show Netanyahu’s Iran bomb claim contradicted by Mossad

Binyamin Netanyahu’s dramatic declaration to world leaders in 2012 that Iran was about a year away from making a nuclear bomb was contradicted by his own secret service, according to a top-secret Mossad document.

It is part of a cache of hundreds of dossiers, files and cables from the world’s major intelligence services – one of the biggest spy leaks in recent times.

Brandishing a cartoon of a bomb with a red line to illustrate his point, the Israeli prime minister warned the UN in New York that Iran would be able to build nuclear weapons the following year and called for action to halt the process.

But in a secret report shared with South Africa a few weeks later, Israel’s intelligence agency concluded that Iran was “not performing the activity necessary to produce weapons”. The report highlights the gulf between the public claims and rhetoric of top Israeli politicians and the assessments of Israel’s military and intelligence establishment.

Knowing he's lied to America before, it is patently stupid of John Boehner to invite this man to speak to Congress. And those sycophants standing and clapping on the floor of Congress should be ashamed of themselves.

• Fire 3

This speech was a charade. I'm sure every single allied country out there has things it wishes the U.S. did differently (and vice versa). This is a bizarrely one-sided platform for a Congressman to give to a foreign head of state. I'm in full agreement with knapplc here.

• Fire 2

Netanyahu is not to be trusted. He has lied to America to serve his own ends and start wars before. There is no reason to believe he's not doing it again.

Leaked cables show Netanyahu’s Iran bomb claim contradicted by Mossad

Binyamin Netanyahu’s dramatic declaration to world leaders in 2012 that Iran was about a year away from making a nuclear bomb was contradicted by his own secret service, according to a top-secret Mossad document.

It is part of a cache of hundreds of dossiers, files and cables from the world’s major intelligence services – one of the biggest spy leaks in recent times.

Brandishing a cartoon of a bomb with a red line to illustrate his point, the Israeli prime minister warned the UN in New York that Iran would be able to build nuclear weapons the following year and called for action to halt the process.

But in a secret report shared with South Africa a few weeks later, Israel’s intelligence agency concluded that Iran was “not performing the activity necessary to produce weapons”. The report highlights the gulf between the public claims and rhetoric of top Israeli politicians and the assessments of Israel’s military and intelligence establishment.

Knowing he's lied to America before, it is patently stupid of John Boehner to invite this man to speak to Congress. And those sycophants standing and clapping on the floor of Congress should be ashamed of themselves.

Point well taken and I have been very critical of Israel in the past. I have also said that there is political games being played by the Republicans. Obama is still being an idiot though trying to negotiate with Iran on his own.

Obama is still being an idiot though trying to negotiate with Iran on his own.

You keep saying this. Who should he be working with? Netanyahu, whose own intelligence community knows he's lying about Iran? Or Boehner and the Republicans, who gave the lying warmonger a platform in our own congressional chambers to lie to the American people?

Neither of those are good options. Israel itself has been the instigator of turmoil over there recently, not Hamas or the Palestinians. Israel doesn't want peace, they want their military budget paid for by America, that's pretty clear by their actions. Bringing Israel to the negotiation table under those circumstances seems pretty certain to end in no progress on our relationship with Iran at all.

And with the evidence that Israel is actively spying on us and a threat to our intelligence community, why would we even consider them an ally anyway?

So who should Obama be working with? And why does he HAVE TO work with someone? Why can't he, as president, broker a deal on his own? Isn't that what presidents, as the Head of State, do?

• Fire 3

And after all that, I read this article. From today:

Israel asks Congress for missile defense aid despite public row

Washington (CNN)Publicly the U.S. and Israel have been clashing over Iran's nuclear program, but quietly Israelis have been making another appeal: getting more U.S. funds for missile defense systems to defend against Iran's growing ballistic missile program.

A Republican congressional source told CNN that the Israelis are asking lawmakers to approve more than $300 million in additional U.S. funding for missile defense systems, above the $155 million the Pentagon is already requesting from Congress.

For the first time, the source said, Israel is asking the U.S. for procurement funding for the Arrow 3 missile, designed to counter longer-range Iranian ballistic missiles, and the David's Sling missile defense system, for shorter-range Iranian weapons.

If Iran were no longer a threat through peaceful negotiations, they probably wouldn't get this money.

Obama is still being an idiot though trying to negotiate with Iran on his own.

You keep saying this. Who should he be working with? Netanyahu, whose own intelligence community knows he's lying about Iran? Or Boehner and the Republicans, who gave the lying warmonger a platform in our own congressional chambers to lie to the American people?

Neither of those are good options. Israel itself has been the instigator of turmoil over there recently, not Hamas or the Palestinians. Israel doesn't want peace, they want their military budget paid for by America, that's pretty clear by their actions. Bringing Israel to the negotiation table under those circumstances seems pretty certain to end in no progress on our relationship with Iran at all.

And with the evidence that Israel is actively spying on us and a threat to our intelligence community, why would we even consider them an ally anyway?

So who should Obama be working with? And why does he HAVE TO work with someone? Why can't he, as president, broker a deal on his own? Isn't that what presidents, as the Head of State, do?

You don't think we are spying on them? I would be very disappointed if we weren't. That's what countries in our positions do and I'm not surprised they do it to us.

And after all that, I read this article. From today:

Israel asks Congress for missile defense aid despite public row

Washington (CNN)Publicly the U.S. and Israel have been clashing over Iran's nuclear program, but quietly Israelis have been making another appeal: getting more U.S. funds for missile defense systems to defend against Iran's growing ballistic missile program.

A Republican congressional source told CNN that the Israelis are asking lawmakers to approve more than $300 million in additional U.S. funding for missile defense systems, above the $155 million the Pentagon is already requesting from Congress.

For the first time, the source said, Israel is asking the U.S. for procurement funding for the Arrow 3 missile, designed to counter longer-range Iranian ballistic missiles, and the David's Sling missile defense system, for shorter-range Iranian weapons.

If Iran were no longer a threat through peaceful negotiations, they probably wouldn't get this money.

I have much less problem giving them the ability to have a missile defense system. How is that war mongering or doing anything other than allowing them to protect themselves against a country who has vowed to wipe them off the face of the earth? Heck, I would be perfectly glad to give every country in the region missile defense systems. That would take away much of the power some countries have over the others.

Now, if this were for fighter planes or bombers....I would say...hell no.

Call me crazy, but I don't think America needs to be funneling hundreds of billions of dollars into the defense budgets of any Middle Eastern country.

Then why do we even care about negotiating with Iran? Are they threatening us? Why do we give a sh#t?

And...yes...I would prefer not to have to do any of it.

Then why do we even care about negotiating with Iran?

Because they're enriching uranium. And because they have a lot of oil. Those two are pretty high on the "Have this/Do that and you'll get America's attention" list.

And, they are enriching uranium in large part because they hate Israel so much and some past leaders have been very vocal in not having a problem using it.

Here is what I would have loved to have Obama do. Go to Israel and say...."sit down in good faith with me with Iran. If not? we drop dramatically the amount we fund your defense. Go to Iran and say...."Sit down with me and Israel in good faith or I will fully support all current sanctions and also look at putting more on.

I would make it fairly clear that we are sick and tired of being the middle man that gets sucker punched on every step because of their combined pissing match.

As much as I disliked Clinton, at least he was able to get Israel and Palestine to the table.

They're not going to nuke Israel. That's hogwash and everyone over there knows it. The leaders of Iran would lose power within months, if not weeks, of such an attack. It would also damage a portion of their Holy Land and ruin the Palestinian Homeland (the recovery of which is the reason they've been supporting Hamas for umpteen years). It's all a bunch of political posturing, and Boehner just gave one of the worst poseurs over there a stage in America's Congress.

I'm really having a hard time understanding why anyone would support Boehner in this. It's a failure on so many levels.

• Fire 2

You can leave "Fox News" comments out of this since neither of us watch that load of crap.

Apologies. I have no idea why I put that in there. Makes you wonder about subliminal messages on some of these sites. That just popped out of the keyboard for no reason.

Comic relief at its best :laughpound

They're not going to nuke Israel. That's hogwash and everyone over there knows it. The leaders of Iran would lose power within months, if not weeks, of such an attack. It would also damage a portion of their Holy Land and ruin the Palestinian Homeland (the recovery of which is the reason they've been supporting Hamas for umpteen years). It's all a bunch of political posturing, and Boehner just gave one of the worst poseurs over there a stage in America's Congress.

I'm really having a hard time understanding why anyone would support Boehner in this. It's a failure on so many levels.

Have I ever mentioned in this thread that I believe the Republicans were playing some politics too?

I fail to see (other than the expense) why giving Israel a missile defense system is a bad thing. However, I wish it came with some strings attached.

And....then why do we care if they are enriching uranium?