Tom Brady: Mike Riley's White Whale

Another from Dirk's "Riley Week".

Mike Riley has been around so long, his connections are like Charlotte’s famous web. Just consider the men who played quarterback for Riley at one time:

Jeff Tedford (CFL)

Sean Salisbury (CFL)

Jason Garrett (WLAF)

Ryan Leaf (NFL)

Jim Harbaugh (NFL)

Doug Flutie (NFL)

And that’s before Riley reached Oregon State, where he sent three quarterbacks to the NFL.

But Riley’s most fascinating connection is the quarterback he didn’t coach. In 1993, Riley joined John Robinson’s staff at USC. The Trojans signed most of their players out of southern California. Riley was the new guy, so Robinson gave him the Bay Area.

That fall, Riley discovered a junior quarterback at Serra High School in San Mateo. Tom Brady was no blue-chip. He didn’t even start on his freshman team. Nor did he play for a good program. In fact, Brady was a better baseball prospect — he was drafted as a catcher.

http://www.omaha.com/huskers/tom-brady-will-always-be-the-big-one-who-got/article_264e276b-b84f-5b38-bcbb-e77f60f40fb4.html

• Fire 1

Wow. Great article. Maybe the best article I've read in the last year or so. +1

Damnit, this is what Dirk does. He'll write some hatchet job article about the Huskers and I'll hate his guts for it. Then he puts out a masterful sports article like this one. And he reels me back in. Truly, the guy is one of the most talented sports writers in the state. /shakes head

Wow. Great article. Maybe the best article I've read in the last year or so. +1

Damnit, this is what Dirk does. He'll write some hatchet job article about the Huskers and I'll hate his guts for it. Then he puts out a masterful sports article like this one. And he reels me back in. Truly, the guy is one of the most talented sports writers in the state. /shakes head

Maybe Dirk just thinks the new guy is a heckuva guy and a good coach.

Maybe Dirk didn't feel that way about the last guy.

You know, there's something to this whole "positive vibe" thing that Eichorst is a fan of. Sometimes an attitude adjustment can be life changing.

Or I could be way off and this is just that sunshine pumping time of year......brace yourself for the hatchet job when this team loses its first game.....