Mike Riley's Approach

Refreshing, isn't it?

I've watched enough college football not to be swept away by the superficial aspects of running a program. There are plenty of ways to skin a cat. But watching yesterday's Spring Game and all the events that led up to it these past few months, I have to say I'm impressed. From the minute Mike Riley walked in the door, the difference was palpable. The guy's aura could not be more right for this program. All of it. From remembering everyone's name to the awkward, chuckling, yet sincere press conference persona––this guy fits the tradition. And most of you know all I mean by that is he resembles Tom Osborne. No, there will be no grandiose predictions about this season or how many national titles were going to have to make room for in the trophy case from me. It's just an observation.

And that brings me to the point of this thread. What I see in Mike Riley's approach is that he is––or at least appears to be––extremely detail oriented from a top-down approach. He's a CEO. Whether we're talking about the website, the blackshirt tradition, injury updates, special teams coaching, recruiting, etc., there's no issue that's overlooked, and none that Riley hasn't explained with a simple, honest, and most of all sensible answer. I really like what I'm seeing. Nebraska is starting to feel like a program in the hands of a professional. I very much doubt we'll ever have to endure the annual psychological drama that was a staple of the Pelini era––and all that went with it––anytime soon.

This is the honeymoon period. Riley will probably lose a game next season and some of the glow will fade. But for the time being I'm interested to learn as much as I can about how Riley is rebuilding the program. What are his priorities? How does he go about evaluating talent and recruiting? How does he handle problems with staff or players? Some of it only time will tell, but I'm very excited to see what the future holds.

• Fire 4

I'm a huge fan of Riley and what he has done so far as well. I like everything about his style and his approach to football but also the way he speaks to people. I'm rooting for him and his staff to succeed. Which of course mean I'm rooting for his players to succeed.

I honestly mean that not just for my gratification, or for the success of the program that I have been a fan of all my life, but I truly don't want to see Riley or any of these coache face the wrath of the Husker fan base when things don't go the way they want or "expect". The expectations are there, always. If Riley's teams don't produce at a high level, nice guy or not, he will hear about it and it will be unfortunate.

Unlike Bo though, Riley totally gets it. He expects it, he knows about it and understands it. You could tell he gets it even by the simplest comment yesterday after the spring game when he said he was able to scurry back over to the Red sideline just before the final whistle, just to make sure he was on the winning sideline. That way his record started off the right way. 1-0.

• Fire 1

I'm a huge fan of Riley and what he has done so far as well. I like everything about his style and his approach to football but also the way he speaks to people. I'm rooting for him and his staff to succeed. Which of course mean I'm rooting for his players to succeed.

I honestly mean that not just for my gratification, or for the success of the program that I have been a fan of all my life, but I truly don't want to see Riley or any of these coache face the wrath of the Husker fan base when things don't go the way they want or "expect". The expectations are there, always. If Riley's teams don't produce at a high level, nice guy or not, he will hear about it and it will be unfortunate.

Unlike Bo though, Riley totally gets it. He expects it, he knows about it and understands it. You could tell he gets it even by the simplest comment yesterday after the spring game when he said he was able to scurry back over to the Red sideline just before the final whistle, just to make sure he was on the winning sideline. That way his record started off the right way. 1-0.

Pretty much sums it up for me as well. Hope for everyone's sake things go great these next X years!

Best part...the former players on the sidelines that were interviewed really seemed to feel that their was a better vibe around the program. Anyone else notice that if you were watching the game on BTN?

I think it was Prince who said Riley told him something like "this program belongs to you more than it does me". That really stuck out.

I think Bo was a good guy, not a good mentor, head coach nor experienced enough for a job like Nebraska. It was a step, more money and a chance.

I think Coach Riley is truly a great person, caring, concerned, diligent and always moving forward. I am hoping for his sake and his staff that he does the job that Nebraska wants. It would be sad to see such a nice guy lose. Riley taking the job was about accepting a challenge, to accomplish what he had not. The drive to be the best, to win on an amazing level, to face the challenge head on and welcome it. Welcome the fans to be part of the battle, not battle the fans.

I said the first day I heard, this is in Tom Osborne's footstep. A quiet, unassuming, well mannered man, wanting to teach and coach young men, to be an example of what a man should be. We have a great leader on the sidelines now. Just hope we have the talent and luck for him to succeed. I truly hope the whole fan base endorses him, and follow his lead with out question for awhile. Giving him even more confidence in what he does. We needed him, and he needs all of us. The kids needed him very badly, and I think it was obvious on the sidelines they love him already. The main part of the battle is over. Now on to those pesky games.

Go Big Red