Did Newby get hurt?

Boy you sure do like to create arguments by huffing and puffing eh? You just decided I said something I didn't and then flailed around arguing against it.

I said we've had backs that didn't/do not make lateral cuts in the same vein of Cross...that's Rex. He wasn't a lateral cut guy. I didn't say Cross was Rex.

I did say Cross is one of the most complete RB's we have with pass pro and blitz pickup.

Go watch The Ohio State and Georgia games again and then tell me that Rex wasn't a lateral cut guy. Maybe you're being deceived because he was so good at keeping his shoulders square to the LOS.

Hopefully he can hang onto the football better than his previous two years

Funny how the same thing was said about Abdullah

Was about to post that then I saw you beat me to it. So true though.
I guess I don't remember Ameer being so bad at keeping the ball tucked. All I remember of Newby was his butterfingers his first two years
Newby has 5 career fumbles. Ameer had 6 as a fresh, 8 as a soph, 5 as a jr and 4 as a senior.

Boy you sure do like to create arguments by huffing and puffing eh? You just decided I said something I didn't and then flailed around arguing against it.

I said we've had backs that didn't/do not make lateral cuts in the same vein of Cross...that's Rex. He wasn't a lateral cut guy. I didn't say Cross was Rex.

I did say Cross is one of the most complete RB's we have with pass pro and blitz pickup.

You compared Imani to Rex- lateral cuts "Cross won't set land speed records and definitely doesn't cut as well as Newby laterally. Of course, we've had backs like that also (Rex) and done just fine "

Complete running backs are lateral cut guys- which Rex was

You don't get 3300 yards rushing or 60 receptions and return kicks without being able to lateral cut well and he missed a bunch of games

He had what 1 tackle for loss- because he was great at the read on the zone play which requires the lateral cut

Complete RBs don't have 1100 yard rushing after 3 years

Lots of people thought just because he was white that he was a straight ahead "overachiever"

He was freakish athlete out of High SChool- and prior to his injury

http://sports.yahoo.com/footballrecruiting/football/recruiting/player-Rex-Burkhead-64817

BlitzFirst: "Cross won't set land speed records and definitely doesn't cut as well as Newby laterally. Of course, we've had backs like that also (Rex) and done just fine "

IM thinking you are off a bit on that- mancrush getting in the way of logical thought

Watch this play at 2:19 and 3:20 and then tell me with a straight face that Imani and Rex have same lateral speed
I must have been watching the wrong team the last 40 years :hmmph if Im wrong on this one
GSM

You compared Imani to Rex- lateral cuts "Cross won't set land speed records and definitely doesn't cut as well as Newby laterally. Of course, we've had backs like that also (Rex) and done just fine "

You don't get 3300 yards rushing or 60 receptions and return kicks without being able to lateral cut well and he missed a bunch of games

He had what 1 tackle for loss- because he was great at the read on the zone play which requires the lateral cut

The word "complete running back" means not just good at running the ball which is why coaches let them play running back....but also good at pass protection and blitz pickup and catching the ball. Complete running back doesn't mean individual traits of running style.

I'm glad you have a different definition when it fits your argument but this definition is how I was using it.

As I said, I'm not saying Cross is Rex. I'm saying Rex didn't have lateral cuts like Abdullah and like we've been used to with Abdullah. I'm saying that Cross' lack of lateral cuts you guys keep hanging on shouldn't eliminate him from being considered a good back because we've had backs that are similar in running style (read: less lateral cuts than Abdullah or say Wilbon) Have fun continuing to spin this into things I DIDN'T say.

Using your very own words- I included them in the posts

Catching the ball, really? - YOUR WORDS "but also good at pass protection and blitz pickup and catching the ball"

Ive been to practice, they don't throw to Imani for a reason-

Cross has caught 3 passes in 3 years, that is 1 per year, how does that make him a good pass catcher/ complete back?

REx caught 60 and returned kicks

Had you watched the film you would have seen your words ""Cross won't set land speed records and definitely doesn't cut as well as Newby laterally. Of course, we've had backs like that also (Rex) and done just fine "

Watch the film and go to the spots everyone pointed out and then say Cross and Rex don't have lateral speed- they are in the same galaxy. Your words not mine, man grasping at some pretty sorry straws.

Wow- that's some crazy stuff if you really believe it. Get over the man crush/love rush cloud and get back to reality- he's only a kid

Rex was notorious for always getting positive gains. His ability to make the first guy in the hole miss and always fall forward was one of the best I've ever seen (until Ameer came along). If you hit Cross before he gets going, he is not that hard to bring down, like most big backs.

• Fire 1

The word "complete running back" means not just good at running the ball which is why coaches let them play running back....but also good at pass protection and blitz pickup and catching the ball. Complete running back doesn't mean individual traits of running style.

I'm glad you have a different definition when it fits your argument but this definition is how I was using it.

As I said, I'm not saying Cross is Rex. I'm saying Rex didn't have lateral cuts like Abdullah and like we've been used to with Abdullah. I'm saying that Cross' lack of lateral cuts you guys keep hanging on shouldn't eliminate him from being considered a good back because we've had backs that are similar in running style (read: less lateral cuts than Abdullah or say Wilbon) Have fun continuing to spin this into things I DIDN'T say.

Using your very own words- I included them in the posts

Catching the ball, really? - YOUR WORDS "but also good at pass protection and blitz pickup and catching the ball"

Ive been to practice, they don't throw to Imani for a reason-

Cross has caught 3 passes in 3 years, that is 1 per year, how does that make him a good pass catcher/ complete back?

REx caught 60 and returned kicks

Had you watched the film you would have seen your words ""Cross won't set land speed records and definitely doesn't cut as well as Newby laterally. Of course, we've had backs like that also (Rex) and done just fine "

Watch the film and go to the spots everyone pointed out and then say Cross and Rex don't have lateral speed- they are in the same galaxy. Your words not mine, man grasping at some pretty sorry straws.

Wow- that's some crazy stuff if you really believe it. Get over the man crush/love rush cloud and get back to reality- he's only a kid

You're really excited by this eh?

Spin away dude.

It's pretty comical how much this makes you go off...all because someone has a different opinion than you.

When someone is wrong- they fail to debate the facts

They attack the messenger, change the conversation- very common

When the data proves youre wrong, youre wrong :hmmph

The 21 year old first year football fan who sits behind me and reads one article a week about NU and isn't shy about sharing her "knowledge" and insight also has an opinion- it just isn't a very informed one

If anyone really wants to know who the best Running Back is and who will be starting- based on expertise, fact and not man crushes:

Damon Benning has always been spot on

He attends practice

He knows how to evaluate RBs correctly

He totally understands the macro skills needed for each type of play in each offense

He truly understands offenses- including what Riley will run and what is needed by the backs to run Rileys offense

He is a coach and very accomplished former player- he teaches this stuff

He talks to other former players and coaches who are also attending practices

He watches game film and knows what to look for

He has been spot on plucking Helu out of a deep pack VERY early when no one else was

He did the very same thing with Abdullah when Abdullah was buried in a pile of 3-4 very good RBs- very early when no one else was

To think anyone here would know more than him- when it comes to RBs- silly

He is on Newby as the starter, so am I for many of the same reasons

RIght now NU doesn't have a Helu, Rex, Ameer type back, but someone will start based on how they fit with the offense- right now Newby

• Fire 1

I know a guy logic doesn't = facts or proof

Damon Benning opinion also doesn't = facts or proof

People aren't perfect. People make mistakes. Who's to say Benning isn't talking out his butt? Who's to say you aren't? Who's to say I'm not?

Please, I'm not attacking the messenger, I'm attacking the message. Logic based on he said/she said doesn't hold water. Neither you or I can, with 100% certainty, say Imani is the best or worst at his job nor can we say he will or won't start.

When you accept that, you'll find things don't matter too much on this topic. Trying to force your opinion as fact or declaration of Damon Benning's opinion as fact on the matter is bigotry.

XsDWRTw.png

• Fire 2