Huskers Trend Downward in B1G Competition (All Sports)

Sip mentions volleyball, but the reality is that Russ Rose has been on an historic run for the past several years, winning six of the last eight National Championships.

It's hard to find fault with John Cook for not winning more conference championships against that kind of competition. We saw nothing like this in the Big XII, in any sport. The Big Ten is insanely tough in women's volleyball.

Sip mentions volleyball, but the reality is that Russ Rose has been on an historic run for the past several years, winning six of the last eight National Championships.

It's hard to find fault with John Cook for not winning more conference championships against that kind of competition. We saw nothing like this in the Big XII, in any sport. The Big Ten is insanely tough in women's volleyball.

Reminds me of Wayne State when I was going to school there (and still). The NSIC routinely has 4-6 teams in the top 10, and Concordia St. Paul has won like 6 straight national championships for NCAA DII. Our program has been extremely solid under Kneifl, but hasn't ever made it past the second round of the tournament because the cards are always stacked against us so badly.

NU wrestling finished 9th in the country. Of the top 10 teams, 5 of them were Big10 schools including Nebraska. 2 other Big10 schools finished just outside the top 10. I'd say coach Manning is doing a heck of a job in a conference that dominates NCAA wrestling. Not just a one year deal either, he's kept them in the hunt for quite a while.

• Fire 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Our tally is in the form of average finish in Big Ten competition. No, it's not pretty for the Huskers, who wound up 11th in the 14-school conference with an average of 7.29, ahead of only Purdue, Indiana and Rutgers and far behind leader Ohio State.

There are going to be down cycles. But as I've stated previously, Nebraska essentially should never be 11th in these standings, considering the amount of energy, passion and resources that NU pours into athletics.
Eichorst points out that average conference finish represents "a very narrow data point."
"Our mission is greater than athletics outcomes, but we certainly recognize areas and room for improvement," he says.
Nebraska's average was dragged down in large part by bottom-of-the-barrel finishes in men's and women's golf, men's and women's cross country and women's tennis — teams that draw little notice from the general public, yet purportedly wear the "N" with pride.
Thing is, Nebraska's substandard average conference finish would be far less glaring if it had not faltered so badly in the premier men's sports.

LJS

My question is do they factor in the sports that NU doesn't participate in when figuring rankings. NU doesn't play Lacrosse or Hockey on the men's side or Lacrosse, field hockey, or ice hockey on the women's side.

Basically it was a bad year for NU sports coupled with the fact that the big 10 is very strong in many Olympic sports.