Gasless - solar generator

Has anyone found a good solar generator that can at least run the refrig and a few items in case of power outage (or in our modern world - mass riots!!)?

If not solar, what other recommendations might you tried and found to be workable solution for an outage due to weather or other emergency?

Thanks

Has anyone found a good solar generator that can at least run the refrig and a few items in case of power outage (or in our modern world - mass riots!!)?

If not solar, what other recommendations might you tried and found to be workable solution for an outage due to weather or other emergency?

Thanks

Hamsters. Lots of them. :thumbs:thumbs

You know I had an alternative to hamsters as a kid. I, my sis and brother would get on the back of our buck sheep and I'd sit just behind his head & I'd hold a branch full of leaves just in front of him. That was a perpetual motion machine that wouldn't stop as he could never get to those leaves. Now if I could mount that branch on a harness and put him on a treadmill type of machine that created electricity - wala - perpetual energy.

On a side note this might be more realistic Tesla has announced a home battery/solar system that could do the job of any generator. Per the article a German company had a similar announcement earlier in the day.

http://www.computerworld.com/article/2917479/sustainable-it/tesla-announces-gigawatt-scaling-commercial-battery-and-a-home-battery-system-for-3500.html

I don't know if solar would be the way to go. You'd probably only be looking at about a 20-25% chance that it would actually work when you need it - nighttime, cloudy, etc. Unless you had the batteries to go with it like in the above article.

Agree, perhaps in a few years, battery development costs will come down much more, batteries become less expensive, more efficient and enlarged capacities for storage, - this could be a viable alternative to being on the grid. If this could occur on a mass scale in homes, just think of the impact on the economy but also it will be key in the discussion of global warming, climate change or whatever the next verbiage they give to 'hot planet'.

Is there a technology that can use solar energy to "charge" a battery and store the energy for later use?

Yes, that is what they do.

I looked into solar energy to go completely off the grid about 8 years ago. At the time, I was told a system large enough to power my entire property with all the power we currently use would be around $150,000. At the time, my electric bills were under $200. So, that wasn't feasible.

I hear the battery technology has reduced the cost considerably. I should look into it again.

If you google solar power for homes, you will find some websites that sell and install the equipment.