Big Ten Elite: 1997 Michigan Wolverines

55 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

That Tennessee offense was loaded, and the NU D killed them. I doubt Michigan would have scored. The strength of the Michigan was stopping the pass. The match-up was in Nebraska's favor. Below are some stats, but I can never seem to get the formatting right. It looks perfect until I post it.

Nebraska Opponent Opponent Nebraska Opponent Rank Margin Akron 59 14 45 Central Fla. 38 24 14 Washington 27 14 18 13 Kansas State 56 26 7 30 Baylor 49 21 28 Texas Tech 29 0 29 Kansas* 35 0 35 Oklahoma 69 7 62 Missouri 45 38 23 7 Iowa State 77 14 63 Colorado 27 24 3 Texas A&M* 54 15 21 39 Tennessee** 42 17 8 25 30.2 Michigan Opponent Opponent Michigan Opponent Rank Margin Colorado 27 3 24 Baylor 38 3 35 Notre Dame 21 14 7 Indiana 37 0 37 Northwestern 23 6 17 Iowa 28 24 4 Michigan State 23 7 16 Minnesota 24 3 21 Penn State 34 8 17 26 Wisconsin 26 16 10 Ohio State 20 14 12 6 Washington State 21 16 9 5 17.3

Michigan's schedule was over-rated. Below is a quote from the article.

"The Wolverines Schedule was difficult to say the least. They would play 7 teams ranked in the top 25. Fours of those teams would be ranked in the Top Ten."

The teams were ranked when they played them! So Michigan gets credit for playing #3 ranked Colorado, but Nebraska gets no credit for playing an unranked Colorado. At the end of the year, only three of the teams Michigan played were ranked, and the highest ranked was Wash. St. at 9.

No question, at the end of the season, Nebraska was better. Destroyed Peyton Manning and Tennessee who would go on to win it the next season.

The Washington State game was definitely close. I was 12 when I was watching the game, and I felt that Washington State was screwed big time at the end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZMqS83n_vw

I just rewatched it again. Still think Wazzu got screwed.

Something I didn't catch when I was 12 though, is the long pass on that final drive. It's a questionable no call, sure. But the best part of that whole thing is that the field judge pulls out the flag, as if he's ready to call the PI. Then just waves to stop the clock with the flag still in his hand... HAHA!

I'm always the kind of person who believes that if you're playing the ball, it's not PI. In this case, the WR is playing the ball and happens to run into Mr. Heisman Charles Woodson in the process. So in other words, good no call...

In the end, the most Michigan scored all season was 37. We scored 96 points in our final 2 games against the #14 and #3 teams in the country (54-15 vs A&M in Big 12 CCG, and 42-17 vs Tenn) to finish the season.

I for one, wish they never ducked us, and played us in the National Championship Game.

They didn't duck us. They were contractually obligated to play in the Rose Bowl. There was no National Championship Game before the BCS.

The answer is clear: Which team challenged the opponent to a one game play off, and which team ran away with their tail between their legs?

I give up. Which team challenged who? I never heard of this happening. The NCAA never would've sanctioned this. I heard a lot of bluster from fans of both sides, but if there was some actual challenge it sure was kept quiet.

I for one, wish they never ducked us, and played us in the National Championship Game.

They didn't duck us. They were contractually obligated to play in the Rose Bowl. There was no National Championship Game before the BCS.

Pretty sure he's talking about the Big 10, not Michigan specifically. That the B1G - and Pac-10 - refused to sign on to the Bowl Coalition because they wanted to keep their Rose Bowl matchup. Then they cried when the got left out.

• Fire 1

Michigan's schedule was over-rated. Below is a quote from the article.

"The Wolverines Schedule was difficult to say the least. They would play 7 teams ranked in the top 25. Fours of those teams would be ranked in the Top Ten."

The teams were ranked when they played them! So Michigan gets credit for playing #3 ranked Colorado, but Nebraska gets no credit for playing an unranked Colorado. At the end of the year, only three of the teams Michigan played were ranked, and the highest ranked was Wash. St. at 9.

Michigan's schedule looked like a killer at the start of the season. As it progressed, it wasn't as tough as it seemed, and they struggled with very average Notre Dame and Iowa teams. I'm sure blue fans would point out our very lucky win over Missouri as they were blowing out unbeaten Penn State, but Penn State faltered badly the last two games, and clearly Nebraska finished the season stronger than Michigan. By a lot.

I still can't figure out why anyone would want to return to the pre-playoff/BCS days when we'd have split or undecided champions. Does anyone really think it's more fun to debate who is better over deciding it on the field?

Pretty sure he's talking about the Big 10, not Michigan specifically. That the B1G - and Pac-10 - refused to sign on to the Bowl Coalition because they wanted to keep their Rose Bowl matchup. Then they cried when the got left out.

Thank you Mavric!