Political Correctness/American Baby Mind

Someone saying something stupid has every right to say it. Someone being offended has every right to be offended and express that. What bothers me is when the mob mentality kicks in and the original person is ridiculously made a villain and it affects that person long term.

That said, sports announcers have been fired for racist stuff they have said ever since there was TV announcers.

Now, is what Jimmy said really that derogatory? In the quote, he said he is fine with black people in coaching. He simply said that pretty soon there isn't going to be any white people in sports (in a joking manner).

And who are we to tell someone what is offensive to them or not?

You have to draw the line somewhere.

http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2015/09/the-coddling-of-the-american-mind/399356/

My point is your line is different than mine.

Right, but your line doesn't get to dictate how I live my life. There's things like common decency and courtesy, and then there's the insane (and impossible) view that people have a right to not be offended. That's illogical and impossible.

So where is the line?

That's the fun part. It boils down to how free is "free speech." We have commonly accepted values among society regarding racism, sexism, etc... How those are shaped and applied is the $1m question.

Cowherd didn't say anything wrong, and I doubt any higher ups at ESPN truly think he did - this is just a reach for ammo against a guy that they're pissed snubbed them.

StPaul, you should check out that other thread that saunders started in this forum yesterday. Really lengthy, but really good article.

I saw it. While I agree that some of the sensitivity has bordered on the absurd, the other side of the argument is that perhaps professors have gotten away with things for too long. Now students are speaking up when they disagree and now we have what we have.

This is waaaaaaaaaaaaay beyond some professors being gruff or crass. This is about people wanting everyone to conform to their worldview, or the get offened/triggered/whatever the new term is. The public shaming of different viewpoints and the like thanks to social media is a mob mentality that resembles the crazed crowds of public punishment. It's beyond pathetic. People are different, and will never see eye to eye on everything.

Funny. As I read this, it reminded me of the people that were banned from Huskerboard.

They weren't banned for disagreeing.

Cowherd didn't say anything wrong, and I doubt any higher ups at ESPN truly think he did - this is just a reach for ammo against a guy that they're pissed snubbed them.

StPaul, you should check out that other thread that saunders started in this forum yesterday. Really lengthy, but really good article.

I saw it. While I agree that some of the sensitivity has bordered on the absurd, the other side of the argument is that perhaps professors have gotten away with things for too long. Now students are speaking up when they disagree and now we have what we have.

This is waaaaaaaaaaaaay beyond some professors being gruff or crass. This is about people wanting everyone to conform to their worldview, or the get offened/triggered/whatever the new term is. The public shaming of different viewpoints and the like thanks to social media is a mob mentality that resembles the crazed crowds of public punishment. It's beyond pathetic. People are different, and will never see eye to eye on everything.

Take it out of the college context, and this line of thinking is out of control. I spend a lot of time blogging on tumblr, and the prevailing ideologies of 18-23 year olds on there leave me unable to comprehend how people can be so far out of touch with reality.

Here's just a few examples of how beyond bizarre some of the worlds that college age kids are living in these days are.

TRIGGER WARNING LANGUAGE

tumblr_nsf9omBV2x1u00qgto1_540.png

tumblr_nrssguo7io1u00qgto1_1280.png

tumblr_njutlvNG4n1qc94ixo1_1280.png

tumblr_nse5picq8l1u00qgto1_1280.pngtumblr_nse5l5yfZs1u00qgto1_1280.png

Take it out of the college context, and this line of thinking is out of control. I spend a lot of time blogging on tumblr, and the prevailing ideologies of 18-23 year olds on there leave me unable to comprehend how people can be so far out of touch with reality.

Here's just a few examples of how beyond bizarre some of the worlds that college age kids are living in these days are.

TRIGGER WARNING LANGUAGE

<cut out the images>

c04a40e915d6.gif

Funny. As I read this, it reminded me of the people that were banned from Huskerboard.

I don't want to derail the thread but make sure you know of what you speak.

• Fire 1

I don't want to derail the thread but make sure you know of what you speak.

I am, and that's where we're gonna let this tangent die.

• Fire 1

I think you'd be surprised how much sympathy there is on the left for this issue. Bill Maher won't play colleges anymore. He can't, because there are enough people who are waiting with bated breath to be offended by something that they can't even attend a comedy show without having their delicate sensibilities hurt.

That's on the one hand.

On the other, I think our society has made some good progress in realizing that it's not acceptable to call people f****s or retards or whatever in public. What you do in your house is your business. If you show up in a college classroom with that crap coming out of your mouth, I wouldn't stand for it, and I wouldn't expect anyone else to either.

• Fire 1

No sh#t, I had someone get pissed on Facebook because I asked if they were having a boy or girl. I was ambushed with some bullsh#t about gender assignment and how insensitive I was. I unfriended them after that.

That's interesting. I know a couple of people who feel they were either born into the wrong gender, or can't identify with any gender -- or something along those lines(I don't know them so well, so I might not be saying this very properly). It's not bullsh#t, and the world is rather unkind to them with all our built-in gender defaults (which are plenty good for most people, but not everyone).

You were just being polite, though, and shouldn't be getting grief over it. That part is bullsh#t.

Is there a future where sayings that like that become phased out in favor of more inclusive ones, or one where asking "boy, or girl <those being the two possibilities>" isn't the common thing to do? I guess so, and our social customs are always changing -- it's just hard to imagine. I still say it, most likely without even thinking.

No sh#t, I had someone get pissed on Facebook because I asked if they were having a boy or girl. I was ambushed with some bullsh#t about gender assignment and how insensitive I was. I unfriended them after that.

That's interesting. I know a couple of people who feel they were either born into the wrong gender, or can't identify with any gender -- or something along those lines(I don't know them so well, so I might not be saying this very properly). It's not bullsh#t, and the world is rather unkind to them with all our built-in gender defaults (which are plenty good for most people, but not everyone).

You were just being polite, though, and shouldn't be getting grief over it. That part is bullsh#t.

Is there a future where sayings that like that become phased out in favor of more inclusive ones, or one where asking "boy, or girl <those being the two possibilities>" isn't the common thing to do? I guess so, and our social customs are always changing -- it's just hard to imagine. I still say it, most likely without even thinking.

The problem I have is the almost militant attitude that people get over this type of viewpoint. IMO, Society shouldn't have to bend over backwards to please the .5% or whatever the miniscule number is for people who want to assign value to these types of issues. In hindsight, I wish I had dropped the kindergarten cop clip before bowing out, but alas, I wasn't in the mood.