Political Correctness/American Baby Mind

Ok so I never saw the video or heard what Colin Cowherd said to get fired a week early from his last day as an ESPN radio host but if this comment is considered racist, then this country is beyond repair. Holy good graces from our Father in Heaven. We need help.

This is not remotely derogatory. People need to stop finding excuses to say "poor me". I'm disgusted at the American soft attitudes anymore.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_hQ0ynRySU

And for the record, since I can't stand the "poor me" pity parties of this country. Ben Carson had a moment on fox and friends and I directly quote

"I don't believe in the progressive model of 'you poor poor little thing, you're the victim and I'm gunna take care of you' because thats not getting us anywhere. I'm trying to wake people up"

This isn't an example of American anything. It's ESPN firing Cowherd one week before he left them for Fox. This was ESPN's way of getting in the last word, and I'd guess they used this to avoid paying him something they otherwise would have owed him from his contract.

Deadspin compiled a bunch of "racist" stuff Cowherd has said over the years. Some of it doesn't bother me as much as it apparently bothers them. Some of it isn't so great, but then Cowherd is a blowhard and anyone listening to him likely already knows this.

Some NSFW language

• Fire 2

Cowherd didn't say anything wrong, and I doubt any higher ups at ESPN truly think he did - this is just a reach for ammo against a guy that they're pissed snubbed them.

StPaul, you should check out that other thread that saunders started in this forum yesterday. Really lengthy, but really good article.

Deadspin compiled a bunch of "racist" stuff Cowherd has said over the years. Some of it doesn't bother me as much as it apparently bothers them. Some of it isn't so great, but then Cowherd is a blowhard and anyone listening to him likely already knows this.

Some NSFW language

Yeah, I didn't find that segment to be so outrageous, but it was extremely poor tact and you wonder where on earth he was going with it, anyway.

I think my reaction is just from the Deadspin article. Deadspin is an outrage manufacturing machine. They get clicks by being edgy and laced with expletives, no matter how banal or insignificant the point. I guess there's an audience for that.

In general I'm skeptical of people who rail against so-called "PC culture" as if increasing awareness and cultural sensitivity is a bad thing. However, there's a mass-shaming mob phenomenon that offers a lot of appeal, often to extremely unfortunate and undeserved results. Here is a good read:

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/15/magazine/how-one-stupid-tweet-ruined-justine-saccos-life.html?_r=1&module=ArrowsNav&contentCollection=Magazine&action=keypress&region=FixedLeft&pgtype=article

Some of the things that happened to those people are really unbelievable. A guy at a conference whispers a joke about the word "dongle" to his friend. A woman gets outraged about this, snaps a surreptitious picture and this blows up and gets him fired. Then that blows up and gets her fired.

In cases like that, it's not political correctness run amok. It's people behaving badly in crowds, which has always been and always will be a fixture of humanity, regardless of any advances of steps back we take in common awareness, etc.

• Fire 1

In cases like that, it's not political correctness run amok. It's people behaving badly in crowds, which has always been and always will be a fixture of humanity, regardless of any advances of steps back we take in common awareness, etc.

And which also is getting worse and worse the more social media, especially Twitter, are becoming engrained into the daily fabric of our lives. It gives serious unchecked power to the mob, who is self-convinced that they're fighting for a just cause in ruining the lives of people who make innocuous mistakes online.

• Fire 1

Cowherd didn't say anything wrong, and I doubt any higher ups at ESPN truly think he did - this is just a reach for ammo against a guy that they're pissed snubbed them.

StPaul, you should check out that other thread that saunders started in this forum yesterday. Really lengthy, but really good article.

I saw it. While I agree that some of the sensitivity has bordered on the absurd, the other side of the argument is that perhaps professors have gotten away with things for too long. Now students are speaking up when they disagree and now we have what we have.

I saw it. While I agree that some of the sensitivity has bordered on the absurd, the other side of the argument is that perhaps professors have gotten away with things for too long. Now students are speaking up when they disagree and now we have what we have.

This is waaaaaaaaaaaaay beyond some professors being gruff or crass. This is about people wanting everyone to conform to their worldview, or the get offened/triggered/whatever the new term is. The public shaming of different viewpoints and the like thanks to social media is a mob mentality that resembles the crazed crowds of public punishment. It's beyond pathetic. People are different, and will never see eye to eye on everything.

And who are we to tell someone what is offensive to them or not?

You have to draw the line somewhere.

http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2015/09/the-coddling-of-the-american-mind/399356/

My point is your line is different than mine.

Right, but your line doesn't get to dictate how I live my life. There's things like common decency and courtesy, and then there's the insane (and impossible) view that people have a right to not be offended. That's illogical and impossible.

This is waaaaaaaaaaaaay beyond some professors being gruff or crass. This is about people wanting everyone to conform to their worldview, or the get offened/triggered/whatever the new term is. The public shaming of different viewpoints and the like thanks to social media is a mob mentality that resembles the crazed crowds of public punishment. It's beyond pathetic. People are different, and will never see eye to eye on everything.

Funny. As I read this, it reminded me of the people that were banned from Huskerboard.

And who are we to tell someone what is offensive to them or not?

You have to draw the line somewhere.

http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2015/09/the-coddling-of-the-american-mind/399356/

My point is your line is different than mine.

Right, but your line doesn't get to dictate how I live my life. There's things like common decency and courtesy, and then there's the insane (and impossible) view that people have a right to not be offended. That's illogical and impossible.

So where is the line?

And which also is getting worse and worse the more social media, especially Twitter, are becoming engrained into the daily fabric of our lives. It gives serious unchecked power to the mob, who is self-convinced that they're fighting for a just cause in ruining the lives of people who make innocuous mistakes online.

The public shaming of different viewpoints and the like thanks to social media is a mob mentality that resembles the crazed crowds of public punishment. It's beyond pathetic. People are different, and will never see eye to eye on everything.

Yes and yes. I mean, some viewpoints and actions simply deserve the shaming. Others do not and social media doesn't provide sensible boundaries for drawing the line. A mob feeds itself by rewarding those who join in.