BYU Preview

BIG ERN

BYU's going to need a much better roster in a few days than they have had in the past to be even with or even close to NU.

Here's the Kewgs draft history including 0 in both '12 and '11.

1 2014 2 40 DET Kyle Van Noy LB College Stats

2 2013 1 5 DET Ezekiel Ansah DE College Stats

3 2010 7 1 CHI Harvey Unga RB College Stats

4 2010 4 114 BAL Dennis Pitta TE College Stats

5 2009 4 127 IND Austin Collie WR College Stats

6 2009 7 215 CIN Fui Vakapuna RB

7 2008 4 123 NYG Bryan Kehl LB College Stats

8 2007 2 40 MIA John Beck QB College Stats

9 2006 7 218 ARI Todd Watkins WR College Stats

Losing Taysom was completely deflating. There is no replacing him. He's the heart and soul of the team and means as much to the defense as he does the offense. He is one of those players that just has it. That it factor that makes everyone believe you can do anything and elevates your game because he will do everything to win. When he went down last year with that broken leg I can't even explain what that stadium was like. Combine that with losing our star running back for the season, a couple starting corners and numerous other players and it was a cluster. That team went into a tailspin and only recovered because of the soft November schedule.

This season is riding on Taysom. Every BYU fan will be holding his breath when he drops back and wincing whenever he gets hit.

I can understand how this would affect a team for sure, so I'm not dismissing the fact that it could have a poor effect on a team, but we had something similar happen in 2013 when Taylor Martinez went out, and we still scrambled our way to 9 wins with a freshman and a walk-on quarterback, against better competition.

Depth is definitely a place of distinction between our teams, but I would disagree with the assertion that our starting 22 and yours are on equal footing. I could go back and look at the 247 composite rankings for all 22 starters for each team, but that's too much work and I'm about 85% confident there would be a legitimate gap in perceived quality between the two teams.

I could care less about a star comparison. I'm looking at starters on the depth chart right now. On offense I wouldn't take a single one of your receivers over ours. I certainly wouldn't take Armstrong over Taysom. I'd keep most of our line, though I like the Lewis kid who beat the crap out of the flyboy. On defense I'd take Collins and Valentine and your DBs and Gerry at safety. I wouldn't trade any of our linebackers for yours though. But I'd take most of your second string over ours. But of course that's how I perceive things.

BYU's going to need a much better roster in a few days than they have had in the past to be even with or even close to NU.

Here's the Kewgs draft history including 0 in both '12 and '11.

1 2014 2 40 DET Kyle Van Noy LB College Stats

2 2013 1 5 DET Ezekiel Ansah DE College Stats

3 2010 7 1 CHI Harvey Unga RB College Stats

4 2010 4 114 BAL Dennis Pitta TE College Stats

5 2009 4 127 IND Austin Collie WR College Stats

6 2009 7 215 CIN Fui Vakapuna RB

7 2008 4 123 NYG Bryan Kehl LB College Stats

8 2007 2 40 MIA John Beck QB College Stats

9 2006 7 218 ARI Todd Watkins WR College Stats

Yeah, the league generally doesn't care for old, slow, balding white guys.

I'm not sure how this is relevant though. Maybe if BYU had the same kind of NFL talent Nebraska does our 8-5 seasons might be 9-4 seasons?