Banker's D

Mavric, that play you show, one of the radio shows yesterday commented that Cockerell misplayed his receiver and he wasn't expecting him to go deep. Basically, it was a colossal screw-up by Cockerell.

I agree, but if he's matched up man to man, that's a lot of ground to cover for one guy. And we're not giving ourselves any room for error - one guy messes up and it's a huge play.

It is very possible that this play is one the coaches used as a "teaching tool" this week because there were mistakes in the coverage.

Yes, that's possible. But what surprises me is it's not the "quarters" coverage I was expecting. It's a straight man-to-man with no safety help over the top - also known as Cover 0. Almost no one plays Cover 0 with any regularity except when they are bringing a big blitz and you don't have many guys left to cover.

I guess I don't understand the "If only we had someone better". That is so easy to say and we all wish we had all american's at every spot but we have to roll with who we have. I guess I'm also hurting for him too because I know what he's done and the work he has put in. Finally got his shot and he gets hurt. On top of that we have a bunch of grown men throwing him under the bus. I hope he doesn't read this board, and actually given who he is, I'd be shocked if he wasted his time to do so.

Gangwish played a pretty solid game really.

Here's the problem Coach Power T. Guys like you and me, we let this board know how much we like the kid and respect his game. So now , when he makes a mistake, its instantly going to be brought up. Freedom made his sack when Gangwish brought pressure from the other side and forced Taysom right into Freedoms gap. Not taking away from the kid, but that's how it happened. McMullen didn't do a heck of a lot did he? Not anymore than Gangwish did. I haven't heard anyone bring up McMullen much at all. Its unfortunate how once you let people know where they can target you, its the first place they'll go.

I don't go back and watch the replays, I'm good with watching it once. I thought Ross Dzuris (not Gangwish) was in on that play in the first series, after the whole d-line got tired after a few plays. Also, that was a quintessential coverage sack on that play. Hill had nowhere to throw, and the pocket finally collapsed on him.

Regardless who was in there, the DE's didn't get much pressure on the BYU QB, and that's a big concern to me.

I guess I don't understand the "If only we had someone better". That is so easy to say and we all wish we had all american's at every spot but we have to roll with who we have. I guess I'm also hurting for him too because I know what he's done and the work he has put in. Finally got his shot and he gets hurt. On top of that we have a bunch of grown men throwing him under the bus. I hope he doesn't read this board, and actually given who he is, I'd be shocked if he wasted his time to do so.

Here's the problem Coach Power T. Guys like you and me, we let this board know how much we like the kid and respect his game. So now , when he makes a mistake, its instantly going to be brought up. Freedom made his sack when Gangwish brought pressure from the other side and forced Taysom right into Freedoms gap. Not taking away from the kid, but that's how it happened. McMullen didn't do a heck of a lot did he? Not anymore than Gangwish did. I haven't heard anyone bring up McMullen much at all. Its unfortunate how once you let people know where they can target you, its the first place they'll go.

I think it was 80 or 88 that was the other DE when Freedom got his sack.

Agree that we didn't get a lot from any of them (Gangwish, Freedom or McMullen). Actually, it's kind of interesting how similar they were on Saturday - they all had one solo tackle, one assist and one sack.

I don't know what all conversation has gone on lately but I think it's possible that Gangwish is being mentioned more now because of all the conversations about him previously. No one was really making an argument for McMullen earlier.

This is the last I will talk about Gangwish. I just don't think he is "good enough" to be a difference maker as the Rush End. McMullen may not be "good enough" either (I don't like how he is now 310 lbs). All summer, I commented on how I think the Rush Ends will struggle, and I got a lot of flak for that comment. People said that RG will be easy to replace, because he didn't play 100% all the time and he missed games due to injury. To be fair, Gangwish didn't ask for all the attention he got from the media. He is a "feel good" story, about hard-work, lifting, and perseverance.

I am listening to Jay Foreman's segment on Sharp and Benning right now. I am sure Foreman knows a LOT more about football than I do. Foreman likes Cover 4. He said when the D brings pressure, they have to be in-tune to what kind of D is being played behind you. When the rushers loses their lanes, it breaks down the coverage, because the DB's just can't cover that long. With RG, the opposing offenses had to gameplan for him. The offense does't have to do that. Foreman also brings up the fact that Gangwish can't do that spin move on the Hail Mary play. They should have 2 10-techniques and a zero-technique, to keep the QB hemmed in the pocket. Gangwish's spin move allowed the QB to roll out, and the WR to come all the way across the field for the catch. These are quotes from Foreman that I am paraphrasing.

One thing that is concerning with me about Banker's D, is that he isn't reinforcing technique. Yes, it's easier, but the guys have to maintain their technique.

As I said earlier. Look at the film the spin move doesn't matter because BYU brought a RB up to dbl Gangwish and ultimately get him hooked. So the qb could roll out either way. It didn't matter. As soon as Jack felt pressure on his outside shoulder he hit the spin move because it's the fastest route to qb. Look at the angles. If Gangwish doesn't get tripped up. He forces QB into a bad throw.

Look at the film. You will see it. Foreman is right but that's as the play is drawn up. Not as the dynamic changes due to protection from BYU.

T Hill was supposedly going to be in the running for the Heisman this year, so the guy is no slouch. Their frosh QB looked like a star as well. Good players, gotta give them credit. I think The U's Kaaya is going to give us big time problems this year too.

T. Hill is probably the most athletic qb we will see this year. The kid that came into the game is from Eagle, Id and was a 4* elite eleven finalist that was rated 2nd behind Jamis Winston at that elite eleven thing. He is a 22 year old freshman. They are talented players. Brad Kaaya is very talented, but he is not as athletic. He is a much more traditional pocket passer and will be used in a different way. Miami plays Friday night see what they look like.

Defensively you have to look at the fact that NU pretty much shut them down in the second half. They had 3 pts and about 130 yards before the hail marry. BYU never had a problem scoring points last year for the most part. So I am not surprised that they put up some yards. There problem last year was that they couldn't stop anyone.

Nebraska will get better on defense.

Watch the BSU/BYU game this weekend that will give you an idea how good BYU, Nebraska and BSU will be.

I was one of the people that said Gregory was a non factor in a lot of games last year. Randy Gregory at the top of his game is really missed, but he really only played well in about 4 games last year.

• Fire 1

I don't go back and watch the replays, I'm good with watching it once. I thought Ross Dzuris (not Gangwish) was in on that play in the first series, after the whole d-line got tired after a few plays. Also, that was a quintessential coverage sack on that play. Hill had nowhere to throw, and the pocket finally collapsed on him.

Regardless who was in there, the DE's didn't get much pressure on the BYU QB, and that's a big concern to me.

That's correct.

Agree that we didn't get a lot from any of them (Gangwish, Freedom or McMullen). Actually, it's kind of interesting how similar they were on Saturday - they all had one solo tackle, one assist and one sack.

I don't know what all conversation has gone on lately but I think it's possible that Gangwish is being mentioned more now because of all the conversations about him previously. No one was really making an argument for McMullen earlier.

This is the last I will talk about Gangwish. I just don't think he is "good enough" to be a difference maker as the Rush End. McMullen may not be "good enough" either (I don't like how he is now 310 lbs). All summer, I commented on how I think the Rush Ends will struggle, and I got a lot of flak for that comment. People said that RG will be easy to replace, because he didn't play 100% all the time and he missed games due to injury. To be fair, Gangwish didn't ask for all the attention he got from the media. He is a "feel good" story, about hard-work, lifting, and perseverance.

I am listening to Jay Foreman's segment on Sharp and Benning right now. I am sure Foreman knows a LOT more about football than I do. Foreman likes Cover 4. He said when the D brings pressure, they have to be in-tune to what kind of D is being played behind you. When the rushers loses their lanes, it breaks down the coverage, because the DB's just can't cover that long. With RG, the opposing offenses had to gameplan for him. The offense does't have to do that. Foreman also brings up the fact that Gangwish can't do that spin move on the Hail Mary play. They should have 2 10-techniques and a zero-technique, to keep the QB hemmed in the pocket. Gangwish's spin move allowed the QB to roll out, and the WR to come all the way across the field for the catch. These are quotes from Foreman that I am paraphrasing.

One thing that is concerning with me about Banker's D, is that he isn't reinforcing technique. Yes, it's easier, but the guys have to maintain their technique.

As I said earlier. Look at the film the spin move doesn't matter because BYU brought a RB up to dbl Gangwish and ultimately get him hooked. So the qb could roll out either way. It didn't matter. As soon as Jack felt pressure on his outside shoulder he hit the spin move because it's the fastest route to qb. Look at the angles. If Gangwish doesn't get tripped up. He forces QB into a bad throw.

Look at the film. You will see it. Foreman is right but that's as the play is drawn up. Not as the dynamic changes due to protection from BYU.

I just went and watched the first few seconds of the play. The way Foreman sees it, the DE has to stay as wide as the widest guy on the offense. Gangwish doesn't do that, freelances, and spins inside. Yes, Gangwish is trying to "make a play", but he doesn't do his "job" on that play. His job is to take on the blockers, and keep Mangum in the pocket. If Mangum is kept in the pocket, he wouldn't have had ALL DAY to make the throw, as Collins is applying a strong push up the middle. That's why writers and former players are being critical of Gangwish on the hail mary.

• Fire 3

Mavric, that play you show, one of the radio shows yesterday commented that Cockerell misplayed his receiver and he wasn't expecting him to go deep. Basically, it was a colossal screw-up by Cockerell.

Hopefully, he will improve with experience, as it seemed like he was the week link for the DBs on Saturday. If not, I hope there is another DB that can step up.

I just went and watched the first few seconds of the play. The way Foreman sees it, the DE has to stay as wide as the widest guy on the offense. Gangwish doesn't do that, freelances, and spins inside. Yes, Gangwish is trying to "make a play", but he doesn't do his "job" on that play. His job is to take on the blockers, and keep Mangum in the pocket. If Mangum is kept in the pocket, he wouldn't have had ALL DAY to make the throw, as Collins is applying a strong push up the middle. That's why writers and former players are being critical of Gangwish on the hail mary.

I totally understand, but I disagree. It's easy for the ones not playing to scream and yell and criticize all day long about so and so's play. I know you'll never be convinced and thats just the difference in the perspective. Let me be clear, I'm not trying to excuse it just because it's Gangwish. However, from here on out. If you are talking about 100 percent about our players doing their job on every play. You better be calling out others too.

To think that execution of a "job" will be 100 percent every time is just plain dumb, and naive. Yes it's his job to stay outside, anyone with an OUNCE of football knowledge knows that. Dynamics of in play situations change. That, my friend, is what a lot of people forget to grasp when talking execution of "YOUR JOB".

Edit: Also, the DE's job is also to SQUEEZE the pocket while staying wide. When that happens its easy for RB's sitting back in protection to loop around and hook a DE. Also, credit to BYU for designing the protection to be because AGAIN. Once you are hooked, you are hooked, and the spin move DOES NOT MATTER. Contain was given up either way. QB rolls right regardless and throws the ball.

Also, Collins was not getting pressure. You are giving him an out by saying so. Collins played horrible, and did not live up to any kind of NFL draft hype 1 iota.

Edited by Coach Power'T
  • Fire 1

I agree that the whole defensive line was pretty disappointing on Saturday. Valentine is still out of shape, maybe that is due to him missing the first few weeks of camp with his knee injury. Collins is going to get double-teamed every play. Every now and then he will still have to bust through and make a play. If he wants to be compared to Suh, he will have to make Suh-like plays. I think McMullen got too big to be an effective DE. I am not sure if that was his call or the coaches. Freedom is the next man up in for Gangwish. We will see what he can do in Gangwish's absence. Other than those guys, I think the coaches will need to come up with some other guys who can come up with an effective pass rush.