Which team was more talented?

knapplc

95 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

2008 by far. So many really good players on that team.

It's not even just Pelini, though. We have 15 years of inadequacies this coaching staff is trying to undo. 9 months isn't exactly a lot of time to change all that.

No, but it's more than enough time to set precedents on how you expect the game to be played. Some mind blowing penalties have happened this year that even I (as anti Bo as anyone) wouldn't think would occur under a non-nice guy coach. The players are slow to get back to the line and already better at celebrations than they have ever been before. That mind set gets put in place day 1 on the job.

Building a culture and program isn't something that just changes, though, even if you start implementing day one. Seven years of doing things a certain way leave it's imprint. Sometimes, a coach can come in and make magic happen right away. Other times, it doesn't work like that.

Just as an example, Nick Saban took over a 6-7 Alabama team and they only went 7-6 in his first season. They had some decent wins, but, also lost to a 6-6 UL Monroe squad at home. In Tuscaloosa. Think of how Husker fans would've reacted to that...

I defintely understand what you're saying, and I'm not saying Nebraska will go 12-2 next year under Riley (like 'Bama did with Saban in year two). I just take a very conservative approach to coaches building teams and culture, and I'm not drawing many conclusions (good or bad) from this season. It's not really fair in my opinion.

I agree the the true MR system will not be clear until an entire recruiting cycle, so in about 3 years, but the penalties, focus, and overall demeanor of the team looks to have changed since his arrival. I also think that is a direct result of Reilly's personality. It's hard to believe that if we hired Bill O'Brien that the culture wouldn't have changed overnight.

2008 by far. So many really good players on that team.

It's not even just Pelini, though. We have 15 years of inadequacies this coaching staff is trying to undo. 9 months isn't exactly a lot of time to change all that.

No, but it's more than enough time to set precedents on how you expect the game to be played. Some mind blowing penalties have happened this year that even I (as anti Bo as anyone) wouldn't think would occur under a non-nice guy coach. The players are slow to get back to the line and already better at celebrations than they have ever been before. That mind set gets put in place day 1 on the job.

Building a culture and program isn't something that just changes, though, even if you start implementing day one. Seven years of doing things a certain way leave it's imprint. Sometimes, a coach can come in and make magic happen right away. Other times, it doesn't work like that.

Just as an example, Nick Saban took over a 6-7 Alabama team and they only went 7-6 in his first season. They had some decent wins, but, also lost to a 6-6 UL Monroe squad at home. In Tuscaloosa. Think of how Husker fans would've reacted to that...

I defintely understand what you're saying, and I'm not saying Nebraska will go 12-2 next year under Riley (like 'Bama did with Saban in year two). I just take a very conservative approach to coaches building teams and culture, and I'm not drawing many conclusions (good or bad) from this season. It's not really fair in my opinion.

I agree the the true MR system will not be clear until an entire recruiting cycle, so in about 3 years, but the penalties, focus, and overall demeanor of the team looks to have changed since his arrival. I also think that is a direct result of Reilly's personality. It's hard to believe that if we hired Bill O'Brien that the culture wouldn't have changed overnight.

The only thing I'll add is that focus/penalties can be a bi-product of changing schemes. Penalties particularly tend to happen when a player is either getting beat by an opponent or doesn't understand what's being asked of him schematically. This should hopefully get better overtime, though I'll admit there hasn't been a lot of improvement yet.

I personally though haven't seen much of a focus problem or demeanor concern. But maybe we're seeing different things? I'd be interested to hear your take. I'm a big believer, like you are, that teams take after their head coach's personality. Riley seems calm under pressure and that's the feeling I get from this team. Sometimes, too, massive culture changes can backfire. Charlie Strong came into Texas with a massive plan to restore structure and order to the program and some would argue it has largely failed.