Which team was more talented?

knapplc

95 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

We don't have anywhere near the talent on this team that we had in 2008.

.... on defense. There was not much for offensive talent on the 08 team.

Joe Ganz

Roy Helu

Marlon Lucky

Quentin Castille

Meno Holt

Nate Swift

Todd Peterson

Mike McNeill

RB is the only spot that has noticeably more talent. Ganz may have a slight edge over TA in terms of talent but not by a lot. I love the Swift-Peterson-McNeill trio but there is no way they are more talented than Westerkamp-DPE-Carter.

I think it's too early to declare Westerkamp-DPE-Carter as a better trio. They have the physical gifts but other than Westerkamp we haven't had enough time to see if it translates to on the field success. DPE could turn into another Jamal Turner

Joe Ganz

Roy Helu

Marlon Lucky

Quentin Castille

Meno Holt

Nate Swift

Todd Peterson

Mike McNeill

RB is the only spot that has noticeably more talent.

RB:

Roy Helu: 3*

Marlon Lucky: 5*

Quentin Castille: 3*

Terrell Newby: 4*

Adam Taylor: 4*

Mikale Wilbon: 4*

Jordan Stevenson: 4*

Imani Cross: 3*

WR:

Meno Holt: 3*

Nate Swift: 3*

Jordan Westerkamp: 4*

Stanley Morgan: 4*

TE:

Mike McNeil: 3*

Cethan Carter: 3*

QB:

Joe Ganz: 2*

Tommy Armstrong: 3*

I didn't ask what their recruiting stars were in high school. Do you really think Joe Ganz produced like a two-star? Or Roy Helu produced like a three-star? Or Nate Swift? Do you really think Terrel Newby is producing like a four-star? Or Imani is producing like a three-star?

Sheesh, you're better than this Knapp. This is sad.

Joe Ganz

Roy Helu

Marlon Lucky

Quentin Castille

Meno Holt

Nate Swift

Todd Peterson

Mike McNeill

RB is the only spot that has noticeably more talent. Ganz may have a slight edge over TA in terms of talent but not by a lot. I love the Swift-Peterson-McNeill trio but there is no way they are more talented than Westerkamp-DPE-Carter.

I think it's too early to declare Westerkamp-DPE-Carter as a better trio. They have the physical gifts but other than Westerkamp we haven't had enough time to see if it translates to on the field success. DPE could turn into another Jamal Turner

Wasn't DPE an All-American punt returner last year? Legit realized potential. Turner has always had potential, but hasn't produced the way DPE did in only a year.

Joe Ganz

Roy Helu

Marlon Lucky

Quentin Castille

Meno Holt

Nate Swift

Todd Peterson

Mike McNeill

RB:

WR:

TE:

QB:

I didn't ask what their recruiting stars were in high school. Do you really think Joe Ganz produced like a two-star? Or Roy Helu produced like a three-star? Or Nate Swift? Do you really think Terrel Newby is producing like a four-star? Or Imani is producing like a three-star?

I stand by what I said. Recruiting stars from a kid's high school days mean nothing in this conversation. Less than nothing.

Is there an argument of substance in anything you're going to post tonight, or are you just angst-ridden and want to be disagreeable?

Joe Ganz

Roy Helu

Marlon Lucky

Quentin Castille

Meno Holt

Nate Swift

Todd Peterson

Mike McNeill

RB:

WR:

TE:

QB:

There's a lot more that goes into how a player and team perform than just what stars they have. Assuming we should be performing better based on star rankings assumes that literally everything else... every single tiny little factors has remainded constant. Which, obviously, is simply not true.

• Fire 1

Joe Ganz

Roy Helu

Marlon Lucky

Quentin Castille

Meno Holt

Nate Swift

Todd Peterson

Mike McNeill

RB:

WR:

TE:

QB:

I stand by what I said. Recruiting stars from a kid's high school days mean nothing in this conversation. Less than nothing.

Is there an argument of substance in anything you're going to post tonight, or are you just angst-ridden and want to be disagreeable?

Geeze, someones cranky. So I guess I'll just ask what's the point of this thread that you created? What are you trying to prove?

There's a lot more that goes into how a player and team perform than just what stars they have. Assuming we should be performing better based on star rankings assumes that literally everything else... every single tiny little factors has remainded constant. Which, obviously, is simply not true.

High School stars are a specious argument.

I sure hope Riley leaves the next guy some good recruits after he's gone. Because frankly.. this years recruiting class could use some DL and DB in it.

• Fire 1

It's simply not deniable that the 2008 roster was more complete and more talented -- especially on defense -- than the 2015 roster. OL & DL (well, DE) are probably the most glaring differences. Swift and Peterson were money and not to mention, that offense wasn't doing anything really new.

No disrespect to any of our current players, but our DE play is not remotely Top 25 level.

Some folks appear to have chugged the kool-aid (I can be included in that group; it happens every offseason, no regrets!) and somewhat or severely overrated the strength of Nebraska heading into '15.

Where Nebraska is, is a team with fringe Top 25 talent as a roster, not too different than it's been in the two years prior, and so they'll be clawing and fighting their way to wins. Fortunately -- and again similar to the last two years -- our division is not particularly strong either.

True2tRA -*****

Look! Five stars besides my name! I'll be expecting some letters in the mail from some top programs in the country.

Why when the question is about a 2008 vs. 2015 Nebraska team and the talent levels on those teams, do we bring up stars beside their names coming out of high school? Since when do stars translate to production?

If you're going to bring up names and claim one team over the other, shouldn't you be talking about the stars you'd put beside theirs name during their Husker careers, not after their high school careers? I mean really, who gives a f#*k what they did in high school, it doesn't effect a damn thing on the field on Saturdays,

• Fire 1

I sure hope Riley leaves the next guy some good recruits after he's gone. Because frankly.. this years recruiting class could use some DL and DB in it.

Yep, not enough talent now. Riley's staff hasn't had enough time to REALLY start getting the recruits they want. But that 2017 class ... watch out. So somewhere around 2019 we should start to see things turn around.

True2tRA -*****

Look! Five stars besides my name! I'll be expecting some letters in the mail from some top programs in the country.

Why when the question is about a 2008 vs. 2015 Nebraska team and the talent levels on those teams, do we bring up stars beside their names coming out of high school? Since when do stars translate to production?

If you're going to bring up names and claim one team over the other, shouldn't you be talking about the stars you'd put beside theirs name during their Husker careers, not after their high school careers? I mean really, who gives a f#*k what they did in high school, it doesn't effect a damn thing on the field on Saturdays,

How are you supposed to compare the two fairly without even considering it? Some are trying to tout the talent of the 2008 roster by the careers of Joe Ganz and Roy Helu. Going into the 2008 season, Joe Ganz had only appeared in 10 games and thrown 150 passes. Roy only had 45 carries and zero TDs. It is nice to have hindsight to argue for the talent of those players' careers compared the the 2015 roster through only three games. That is convenient for one's position. To completely dismiss their recruiting rankings is absurd. We need to look at the "stars you'd put beside their names during their Husker careers" for Terrell Newby or Stanley Morgan or Mikale Wilbon?!?

• Fire 2

Yep, not enough talent now. Riley's staff hasn't had enough time to REALLY start getting the recruits they want. But that 2017 class ... watch out. So somewhere around 2019 we should start to see things turn around.

.....though I'm sure the goalposts will move a couple more times before then. I mean after all, the only thing we've been missing up to this season is actual coaching. I know.....I know......"transition year".

• Fire 1