408 left us high and dry

RADAR

How would you combat it?

I mean, I do see what you are saying. But the defense shows weaknesses somewhere every which way it lines up on every play. A well designed offense with a savvy QB is going to find and exploit those weaknesses and mismatches and do it often. Rex Ryan isn't a moron. Not to say that that Banker is Rex Ryan or Kaaya is Tom Brady. Kaaya and the 'Canes offense certainly won this round.

*Although, they also didn't run us to death with it. Maybe Miami shot themselves in the foot, or maybe they simply couldn't anymore, or maybe they just won some early battles but never could simply do whatever they wanted, when they wanted.

He's got some ideas: https://soundcloud.com/liquid-shane-o/sep-21-seg-10-with-the-professor-aaron-semm

Also, I forgot about the outside leverage we were playing on Goal line. Fabian Washington flipped out because we did it twice in a row, with both of Miami's first 2 TD's.

• Fire 1

I think we ran the ball OK. Not great, but not bad either. I see similarities to 2008, and honestly, I think the key to this season, is mirroring that team.

We need to use a controlled passing game, burn the clock, and protect the defense. We can

I agree. If we can do this, we'll scrape by, hopefully a similar season (we had the benefit of playing only one tough OOC opponent that year, though). However, if Tommy goes down, we might be in a pot of hot water.

Did you see the game?

The one where we scored 33 points, ran 77 plays, racked up 462 yards of offense, and went into overtime?

Yeah. I watched that game.

So... in what way did the staff not 'play to the strengths of the team?'

I'll begin by saying, despite what you and other may think, that I strongly don't like making disparaging remarks about any NU player or coach, so it's hard for me to talk openly. But since I invited your response, I briefly address matters.

Not only did it appear as if the entire team was unprepared, it looked like they were not up for the game. It took plays by Gerry, Westercamp and then TA to get them to wake up. I saw nothing in the coaching to energize or change the game. The players took it upon themselves.

On the scheme (and I haven't re watched the game as its too painful), the defense (for most of the first three quarters) made almost every play Miami ran look like a highlight reel. They didn't disrupt routes, or adjust to Miami's game plan. There only "solution" was to sub out Davie, who was one of our best cbs last year. And, the primary reason (in my opinion) it got close in the fourth is because Miami put on the brakes as they were up so much and were in total control (that, and TA's heart is driving a comeback).

If you want to examine stats, as you selectively cite in your reply, focus on the first 3 quarters and tell me how well they coached the team. I hope things pick up, and do understand that a team with a new coach and schemes will get worse before its gets better. But what I want to see, win or lose, is passion, from start to finish.

• Fire 1

I think we ran the ball OK. Not great, but not bad either. I see similarities to 2008, and honestly, I think the key to this season, is mirroring that team.

We need to use a controlled passing game, burn the clock, and protect the defense. We can

I agree. If we can do this, we'll scrape by, hopefully a similar season (we had the benefit of playing only one tough OOC opponent that year, though). However, if Tommy goes down, we might be in a pot of hot water.

If that happens, I'll start catching up on some movies and some video games. :(

an incredibly lucky Cane interception

I am going to call people on this every time I see it. This would have easily have been the standard "non incredibly lucky" interception by either of the two defensive backs had they not collided with each other.

It was a bad throw that should have been picked off the "normal" way.

an incredibly lucky Cane interception

I am going to call people on this every time I see it. This would have easily have been the standard "non incredibly lucky" interception by either of the two defensive backs had they not collided with each other.

It was a bad throw that should have been picked off the "normal" way.

The Interception may not have been "incredibly lucky" but the bounce that caused it was