Illegal Formation Penalties

Mavric

Here is one of the other Illegal Formation calls from the Miami game. We clearly do not have a WR on the line on the right side of the formation. It was the same way for BYU. So there may be more being called. But the assumption seems to be that the refs are just calling it more. It seems to me that we just aren't as good at getting lined up in the correct formation.

gLysU2.png

I'm not saying we are lining up correctly. I'm saying MAYBE they're calling it more.

The question is, have they always called this and we've always lined up correctly before, or is this a new focus for officials this year? It isn't only Nebraska they're calling it on; they called it on BYU more than Nebraska in the first game (twice for them, once for us).

Perhaps someone needs to inform me but I believe, if I look at the picture that we are lined up OK We have 4 behind the line of scrimmage (not 5). That is perfectly legal. There is no requirement that Westy need be on the line. you can have 4 in the backfield (aka the wishbone for example) but no more. The rest must be within a yard of the LOS. I believe that is the rule.

We do have more than 4, the WR on the left side of the formation is off the line as well, so he counts as 5.

These types of penalties also occur if there is a shift and I wide receiver doesn't move off the line or on the line.

Sorry but I beg to differ: IMO the WR to the left of the formation IS within 1 yard of the LOS - basically his front foot/toe and head are at the one yard point. If a referee is using a tape measure, I think he would find it is 35 inches: LOL but, it certainly close enough for a football game that NO PENALTY should be called. As far as whether a TE is ineligible because the receivers is also lined up on the LOS, that is NOT what the penalty was. That would have been ineligible man down field and I recall we had one of those called on us as well in the game. Maybe another example of this mysterious illegal formation epidemic. I think it is basically a simple rule than you MUST have 7 players within 1 yard of the LOS at the snap and 4 at least 1 yard behind it. Hopefully some offiial or rule or coach can explain the rule in detail IF my simple was of stating it is NOT correct. I think this basic 7 to 4 rule applies on ALL snaps, even extra points and or field goals or punts. Correct?