I don't think Sam liked the Play Call

NUinID

I understand what Sam is saying, and it probably is worth pointing out. But I'm not sure it's worth being critical of. I suspect if a furious rally is required and completed in future games, Langsdorf will make a point of getting Armstrong settled down before reverting to the standard offense.

On the TV version, we are never shown the left half of the field where Carter and Cross are (which Langsdorf spoke of). It's worth mentioning Armstrong makes the throw 8 seconds after the snap, so he had plenty of time- quite a bit of which he spent looking to the left.

This is a screencap the moment before TA releases. The safety has just realized Allen is behind him and is just then turning around and not even closing the gap yet. It may not have been the play's intent, but a well-thrown ball here should be a TD.

ETA: the ball is intercepted right on the goal-line on the right side of the second "I" in the "Miami" written acoss the endzone.

post-12331-0-04743900-1443228203_thumb.jpg

• Fire 1

I actually had a different take on that. He looks open at that instant, but he's not really very open. The ball is going to take time to get there.

First, he has to lead Allen as he comes across the field, or the trailing defender can make a play on it.

Second, if he lofts it and the ball takes a while to get there, Corn Elder will make a play on the ball (even if it doesn't just fall into his lap). He's at the 10 yard line and Allen is running into his sector of the field. There's not that much distance to cover, especially for a ball with a ton of air under it.

Third, if he zips it, that means it's a low throw. There's probably a window here in the valley of the "M" ... but, well, obviously it wasn't that easy to pick the window and get the ball there. This could've well been a TD, but it wasn't automatic. Not exactly threading the needle either, but between the defenders, low and fast, and over the LB's head, while on the run. There's space and wiggle room, but not worlds of it.

post-11009-0-21509900-1443220424.jpg

Interesting; I'll see if I can find this angle too. Definitely looks different than I thought it did, but the TV view was poor, you could barely see Carter. It looked like there would have been room for a catch and run if Tommy zipped it out there to Carter's left shoulder; if not, Cross was certainly quite open and had Carter in front to block him.

I had *thought* the LB (or DB?) in question here, the guy who's about 7-8 yards upfield of Carter before he releases, was backpedaling with Allen a bit and not well positioned with respect to Carter. That might've been wrong.

Tommy just wanted it all, and sometimes you get a little greedy.

I actually had a different take on that. He looks open at that instant, but he's not really very open. The ball is going to take time to get there.

First, he has to lead Allen as he comes across the field, or the trailing defender can make a play on it.

Second, if he lofts it and the ball takes a while to get there, Corn Elder will make a play on the ball (even if it doesn't just fall into his lap). He's at the 10 yard line and Allen is running into his sector of the field. There's not that much distance to cover, especially for a ball with a ton of air under it.

Third, if he zips it, that means it's a low throw. There's probably a window here in the valley of the "M" ... but, well, obviously it wasn't that easy to pick the window and get the ball there. This could've well been a TD, but it wasn't automatic. Not exactly threading the needle either, but between the defenders, low and fast, and over the LB's head, while on the run. There's space and wiggle room, but not worlds of it.

Interesting; I'll see if I can find this angle too. Definitely looks different than I thought it did, but the TV view was poor, you could barely see Carter. It looked like there would have been room for a catch and run if Tommy zipped it out there to Carter's left shoulder; if not, Cross was certainly quite open and had Carter in front to block him.

I had *thought* the LB (or DB?) in question here, the guy who's about 7-8 yards upfield of Carter before he releases, was backpedaling with Allen a bit and not well positioned with respect to Carter. That might've been wrong.

Tommy just wanted it all, and sometimes you get a little greedy.

I don't know, watching it play through it seems to me like the ball was just way underthrown. But I could be wrong. You're right about TA getting a little greedy. But I can't fault him. It was the exact same kind of play from him that got us back in the game and in a position to win.

Here's the video I was watching, beginning with the re-play:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jyjtlreRhk?t=1h19m20s

Right. Definitely severely underthrown. Threw it right to the guy! However, I'm trying to make the case that a different throw might've been also dangerous, or at least not an automatic completion. If there's too much air, maybe the DB has to fight for it but could compete for the ball. If it's more of a liner and either too far behind or too far ahead, one or the other DB has a chance at it.

Those guys can probably cover a good amount of green in 2, 2.5 seconds. But I could be wrong again :D I definitely don't analyze football plays for a living, for good reason!

I'd say Sam was alluding to the square peg/round hole analogy which Riley promised to avoid. Seems like low hanging fruit to me. :dunno

What it did make me wonder was if Tommy had blown up the play calls and gone with his instincts during the comeback plays. Everybody's questioning the play that failed, nobody's wondering if he was getting the same kind of calls before and "just made plays" on his own anyway. I don't think the staff has come around to fully embracing what TA can do and do well. I wish they would.

• Fire 1

Allen and Cross were 2 of the 3 "receivers" on the play. That right there is enough to complain about a coaching decision.

Scramble up the gut was wide open. Tommy has foregone numerous good opportunities like this already this year. Need to be able to think and make that decision. It's first down and no receiver is open. Take the easy yards. This really should have been part of the coached up design of the play. Miami will probably do what they did do. DL rushes, leaves gaps and LB's vacate enough for a good run up the middle.

Receivers are usually supposed to run toward the QB on busted plays which Allen didn't do. He was open late sure, but it's not nearly the easy throw it would have been had Allen run back to Tommy. He'd have been wide open with no one between them. Probably about 1st and goal at the 5. Receivers need to help out their QB's as much as possible. What would Moore or Westy have done?

Give it a rest. We came out in a power set with Cross as the I-back. Everyone watching the game would have bet run. Look no further than how far the safety came down on the play fake. It was a hell of a gutsy play call and had Tommy put a little more on that ball, everyone that is bitching and moaning about the call would have been touting the brilliance and the balls of the play call.