Pass Defense Question

jimk

Excellent take Thanks Tom. +1.

Wiby, basically, no, I think pressing could help the coverage out a lot. It would tighten the outside CBs up on the receiver to help combat the easy ten yard slants for pitch and catch big gains we've been seeing. Tom was also correct when he said the OLBs running to the flat could fight those. The problem I have conceptually with Cover 4 is it puts more men over the top then you have on the first layer of the zone D, which leaves you susceptible underneath... which is exactly where we've been getting killed. That and the boundary on those outside fly routes.

Here's what Cover 4 coverage looks like:

Cover4.png

Vs. Cover 3:

Cover3.png

And Cover 2:

Cover2.png

Conceptually, any of these can work. The problem with running zone is the gaps between the zones. If it were up to me, I'd probably opt for a Cover 3, since it's a good balance between preventing the big play and defending the short and intermediate stuff. It'd get us another man underneath on that first layer. But any zone is liable to weakness at the gaps, which is what we're seeing right now. They're simply running downfield past our LBs that are covering the flat, and exploiting those big rectangular shaped gaps shown in the Cover 4 picture.

It kind of ticks me off that Kalu got that PI penalty yesterday, because I felt that was textbook coverage from him, great coverage, that drew a flag because of a flop job. THAT's how you use the sideline as a defender. Very encouraging to see one DB, on one play, have damn near perfect coverage.

Philosophically, the coaches prefer Cover 4, with some man mixed in occasionally. We're getting burnt by big coverage based on cushions provided in zone, and also seem to have problems playing too loose in man coverage. I know people complain about LBs being matched up on WRs and getting toasted, but hey-- if they come out in a 4 or 5 wide offensive package and we're in nickel, that's just the reality of the situation. Clearly, they seem to believe in the LBs ability to cover.

I also don't buy the "we're experienced" rhetoric. Yesterday, we were without the entire LB corps, VV, Gangwish, and Davie, who we entered the year all thinking would be starters for us. That's over HALF our base D-- that's a TON to not have in terms of personnel. That makes a HUGE impact in how we prepare and play defense.

In both cases, adjustments need to be made. I am confident they will. If they are not, then the "can Banker" conversation legitimizes itself. I'm waiting until I see it for myself.

Sorry for the length of the post-- just things as I see them.

Thanks for the perspective, dudeguyy. What kind of adjustments do you think are possible or likely given our situation with talent/injuries/experience?

Great post, dudeguyy. Awesome, informative breakdown.

It's a tricky situation. Every defense has a weakness that a good offense will be able to exploit -- unless you can disrupt their plays up front or with blitzing (calculated risk), which Nebraska did at times yesterday.

On the other hand, it's not that tricky. With some work, maybe some adjustments, maybe some more personnel changes or whatever, it can improve. It will need to improve.

I was so ticked by the Kalu call, as well. Terrible.

Excellent take Thanks Tom. +1.

Wiby, basically, no, I think pressing could help the coverage out a lot. It would tighten the outside CBs up on the receiver to help combat the easy ten yard slants for pitch and catch big gains we've been seeing. Tom was also correct when he said the OLBs running to the flat could fight those. The problem I have conceptually with Cover 4 is it puts more men over the top then you have on the first layer of the zone D, which leaves you susceptible underneath... which is exactly where we've been getting killed. That and the boundary on those outside fly routes.

Here's what Cover 4 coverage looks like:

Cover4.png

Vs. Cover 3:

Cover3.png

And Cover 2:

Cover2.png

Conceptually, any of these can work. The problem with running zone is the gaps between the zones. If it were up to me, I'd probably opt for a Cover 3, since it's a good balance between preventing the big play and defending the short and intermediate stuff. It'd get us another man underneath on that first layer. But any zone is liable to weakness at the gaps, which is what we're seeing right now. They're simply running downfield past our LBs that are covering the flat, and exploiting those big rectangular shaped gaps shown in the Cover 4 picture.

It kind of ticks me off that Kalu got that PI penalty yesterday, because I felt that was textbook coverage from him, great coverage, that drew a flag because of a flop job. THAT's how you use the sideline as a defender. Very encouraging to see one DB, on one play, have damn near perfect coverage.

Philosophically, the coaches prefer Cover 4, with some man mixed in occasionally. We're getting burnt by big coverage based on cushions provided in zone, and also seem to have problems playing too loose in man coverage. I know people complain about LBs being matched up on WRs and getting toasted, but hey-- if they come out in a 4 or 5 wide offensive package and we're in nickel, that's just the reality of the situation. Clearly, they seem to believe in the LBs ability to cover.

I also don't buy the "we're experienced" rhetoric. Yesterday, we were without the entire LB corps, VV, Gangwish, and Davie, who we entered the year all thinking would be starters for us. That's over HALF our base D-- that's a TON to not have in terms of personnel. That makes a HUGE impact in how we prepare and play defense.

In both cases, adjustments need to be made. I am confident they will. If they are not, then the "can Banker" conversation legitimizes itself. I'm waiting until I see it for myself.

Sorry for the length of the post-- just things as I see them.

The 4-3 Cover 4 is what I expected to see when they talked about "Quarters" coverage. But that's not what we are running. We are not running any of those things. We are running either Cover 0 or Cover 1 - we seem to switch back and forth between the two depending on play call.

We are not playing zone defense - at least not with our DBs. We are playing almost exclusively man-to-man with (usually) one safety playing zone. Sometimes the safety has the deep middle of the field (Cover 1) - that is how Getty got the pick against South Alabama. Sometimes we are playing what I would call Cover 0 which is no deep safety. The safety that does not have man coverage responsibilities does come up toward the line of scrimmage and take some sort of zone coverage - people have called it a "robber" coverage. That is how Gerry got the pick against BYU.

Run a completely different scheme.

thats not doable st this point. Were 4 games in. At this point all you can do is make adjustments within your overall philosophy.

Or can you? I just cant imagine a system change in the middle of the season would be anything but disasterous. It aint intramurals brotha.

It is most definitely do-able. It won't happen but it could be done.

What's the worst that could happen - we have trouble adjusting to a new scheme and end up DEAD LAST in the country in pass defense? Whoops.

• Fire 1

Run a completely different scheme.

The problem is that we are starting/playing way too many players that either aren't ready or just don't have the talent to be playing at this level.

Davie (Sr) Started all 13 games last year
Cockrell (Sr) Played in all 13 games, started 6
Gerry (Jr) Started all 13 games
Kalu (So) Played in all 13 games, started 2
This group was #4 IN THE NATION in passing defense last season.
#1 overall in opponent's QB completion %
Only allowed 168 yards passing/game
It's amazing how all of a sudden these kids lost their talent. It's a horrible tragedy to lose your talent so young.

Here is one of 408's star recruits in action. It speaks for its self

https://vine.co/v/exwiiQtWYEd

Like pouring honey on a cold day..

And Daniel Davie sucks too, right?

How devoid of talent are we on defense if our best defensive end was a tightend last year. Let that sink in a little, a tightend is better than all the 408 recruited defensive ends we have on the team. SCAREY! And yet you blame Banker.

How devoid of talent are we on defense if our best defensive end was a tightend last year. Let that sink in a little, a tightend is better than all the 408 recruited defensive ends we have on the team. SCAREY! And yet you blame Banker.

We're averaging the same amount of sacks we did last year, so there is pressure being generated. What's not, is coverage by the secondary.

Your boy "408's" scheme is what caused us to get run over by Wisconsin.

Likewise, Banker's scheme, and Stewart's coaching, is why we're dead last in the entire country in passing defense.

For those of you more knowledgeable than I what can the coaches do to improve the passing D? I know an elite pass rusher would be huge and a return of the injured backers also. But what kind of schemes could be used to improve the current situation? I don't intend for this to call out certain players or coaches or generally turn into a sh!$show either! What improvements or schemes can help?

Probably the most successful would be to pay $500,000 to coaches who know what to do. Are ordinary fans supposed to tell the highly paid coaches what to do to not be last in the country?

No one is telling the coaches what to do. That is unless jimk is actually Banker looking for advice. :blink::ahhhhhhhh

Honestly, I think this is a great thread. The OP is asking fans to discuss ideas about how the coaches might help the secondary, which will give us all something to look for on game day to compare and see what adjustments the coaches actually try (if any). Also, it points out that is scheme is not DOA, rather that specific adjustments can be made to shore up its weaknesses.

FYI I am in fact not Coach Banker! Do you think I would admit to that with the current state of my ... err.... the Huskers defense.

We're averaging the same amount of sacks we did last year, so there is pressure being generated. What's not, is coverage by the secondary.

Likewise, Banker's scheme, and Stewart's coaching, is why we're dead last in the entire country in passing defense.

Lets see if we lose to Wisconsin this year, shall we??

Lets see if we lose to Wisconsin this year, shall we??

Ok... Not sure what that proves as they aren't remotely the same team, nor are they the type of team to pass all over us. But I do hope we beat them, because I hate losing to them.