who would we hire?

Swiv3D

I don't get all of the love for Richt. He has shown time and time again the ability to do less with more. In his past 14 recruiting classes, only four of them have been out of the top 10 per rivals with the lowest of those four coming in at 15. He's had some decent seasons with those great recruits, but he's had a lot of bust seasons with elite talent as well. 06-four losses 09-five losses 10-seven losses 11-four losses 13-five losses. He's shown the ability to lose a lot of games with elite talent. I'm not sure we can expect over 70% of his recruiting classes here at Nebraska to fall in the top 10. Just imagine how many games he could lose with recruiting classes in the 20-30 range.

He's also playing in the SEC against many other programs who finished just as high or higher in the recruiting rankings. Can't win em all.

No, you can't win them all. However, you should be able to win some of them. Richt manages to lose most of them. There's a reason the Georgia faithful want him gone. I highly doubt you will find many/any Georgia faithful who expected any different outcome against Bama last week than what happened. It's what Richt does. He completely craps the bed in big games. It's his MO. He would be a terrible hire here because he wouldn't be able to get the talent here that he does in Georgia. We would see even more embarrassing losses under Richt than we did under Bo. I'd put him in the same category as Mack Brown: great recruiter, not so great coach.

Absolutely correct. Mack Brown's biggest problem was that for years he had some of the best recruits in the nation and did very little with them. He managed to take excellent recruits and make them mediocre. Richt is exactly the same and not what you need. It's not hard to be mediocre with great material. It's hard to be great with mediocre material. That is why Urban Meyer was a great hire for Florida. They saw what he did at Utah with very little and projected what he would be able to do at Florida with a lot.

We need the same. That's why I like Harsin at BSU. Or anyone else like that... at a smaller school with lesser recruits but still wins a lot.... that's what turns into the next Sabin, Meyer, etc.

Mack's biggest problem is that he kept on position and coordinators who weren't pulling their weight because they were buddies instead of getting coaches that could get the job done. And that should sound familiar, because it's the problem we have right now, the problem we had with Callahan, the problem we had with Solich...

You left off the poster child for buddy hires: Bo Pelini. Not only did he hire his hometown buddies, he also hired his brother and a bunch of GAs who then were promoted to position and coordinator jobs. Ironically, the golf coach he hired turned out to be one of his better hires.

I did that because I was trying to avoid the whole 'we shouldn't have fired Bo' debate that would inevitably spring up out of this. But you are 100% correct, he was a buddy system employer too.

Though to his credit, he did have Ron Brown and Marvin Sanders on the sideline at some point, both of which I wouldn't mind seeing back (more the later than the former, though).