McKewon: Small details have Nebraska in a big mess

OUTSIDE NEBRASKA’S LOCKER ROOM IN CHAMPAIGN, Ill. — And the prevailing emotion is not rage, but shock. A Nebraska staffer in red leans with both hands on a railing, looking down. Coach Mike Riley’s face is blank, but in a confused or unemotional way. In a numb, that-didn’t-just-happen way. Players’ eyes didn’t flash with anger, but quiet pain.

This scene was last call at a lonely bar. A cold world awaits outside the bubble of the team bus.

Big Ten teams will drag Nebraska to its knees if this program lets them. The league will take NU’s money and order out for cheap college town pizza. If NU gained stability when it entered the Big Ten, it lost aura. Nobody’s afraid of this program. Nobody’s going to give it a wide berth and a character salute. Especially not the 2015 version of Nebraska. That’s not rude; that’s reality.

http://www.omaha.com/huskers/mckewon-small-details-have-nebraska-in-a-big-mess/article_767a20e3-d46f-586d-9b77-f7ef15bd3b3f.html

We're in deep, deep sh#t ya'll.

• Fire 1

“Sam, this loss is akin to me going bowling with a friend of mine. In the last frame, I am down by one pin. There are bumpers over the gutters. Literally, all I have to do is roll the ball down the lane twice and I win. Instead, I decide to turn around and launch the ball at the snack bar.”

:laughpound :laughpound :laughpound :laughpound :laughpound :laughpound :laughpound :laughpound :laughpound :laughpound

• Fire 4

“Sam, this loss is akin to me going bowling with a friend of mine. In the last frame, I am down by one pin. There are bumpers over the gutters. Literally, all I have to do is roll the ball down the lane twice and I win. Instead, I decide to turn around and launch the ball at the snack bar.”

:laughpound :laughpound :laughpound :laughpound :laughpound :laughpound :laughpound :laughpound :laughpound :laughpound

That had me rolling at work too..Nice to see some humor in the midst of all the doom and gloom

I'm really not sure what the B1G has to do with any of this. We haven't gotten really any of the things listed since when? 2001? The lower tier teams in the Big 12 were making a habit of curb stomping us long before we joined the B1G. We haven't had an aura for well over a decade. Even though Bo won the almighty nine games a year, we still didn't have any aura. Iowa State walked into Lincoln with their second string QB and second string RB to cruise to victory during the great Pelini years. The defensive game plan that was being lauded prior to the Mizzou game only to be exploited time and time again sure didn't elicit any aura. We could be in any power five conference and things would be the same. We haven't had any of those things listed since 2001.

Riley needs to admit the gameplan he envisioned is not a successful one for his current situation. He needs to sit back and REALLY look at whatnit is going to take to save this season, even if it means stepping out of his cozy west coast comfort zone.

I don't know if that is the case in all scenarios, against Illinois on Saturday that was the case. When the weather is like that and you aren't throwing that well, the game plan needs to change.

Riley needs to admit the gameplan he envisioned is not a successful one for his current situation. He needs to sit back and REALLY look at whatnit is going to take to save this season, even if it means stepping out of his cozy west coast comfort zone.

I don't know if that is the case in all scenarios, against Illinois on Saturday that was the case. When the weather is like that and you aren't throwing that well, the game plan needs to change.

Agree with you both.

I honestly believe that if Riley doesn't feature the run (and even more specifically, feature Ozigbo in the run) this Saturday that this will probably be the fastest "we hate our coach" campaign by the fan base at large that we've ever seen in the modern era.

Would he deserve that? I don't know. Maybe not. My main question is, are we inventing this whole "Riley says that passing the ball is the hill he's going to die on" thing, or not? If that's really the guy he is, how does he really think he's going to fare in the Big 10?

• Fire 1