Why isn't anyone talking about the do-over?

NUance

NUance, I am with you on this. From the rules, and from EVERYONE I have spoken with, once that ball is snapped, and whistles weren't blown BEFOREHAND (which they weren't, the line ref was still in full force throughout the whole play), that play is NOT review-able. Sure, we also had a "timeout" to prepare... but those saying that are forgetting, they had no timeouts, :38 left ON 2nd down, with our defense on their toes, and hungry. That review killed our momentum, gave them a fresh set of downs and 6 more seconds on the clock, which is a LOT when your needing all you can. In my opinion, these events changed the outcome of this game.

As for the "free 5th down"... coaches are suppose to know where the marker is, how many plays and if they have the first down or not. They aren't suppose to rely on the side markers. This was a mistake made by the refs, but moreso on the Illinois staff for not knowing what they were doing, while Riley knew all along... why did our coach know, but they didn't? Are we the next Patriots?! o.0

Anyone have a chance to review that drive where I could've sworn we had the safety? Why no review? I haven't been able to check it out again, but I thought we had the 2pts.

• Fire 1

There was so much fail the officials committed, it was hard to keep track.

Yep. And not just this game. It's really to me a frustrating collection of BS that is costing us games. Calls (refs...and btw didn't notice talk on the board but they crushed us in Miami Q1 in not making 2 giant calls they should have against thug (PI and targeting)). Pass D that simply looks incoherent with no reasonable chance of success. RB development. Closing out wins (clock mismanagement and play calling). Choking under pressure. Suspensions and injuries at thin positions. I'm growing weary of this long list of crap that contributes to losses that shouldn't be.

NUance, they put .10 back on the clock, re-spotted the ball, and gave them a do-over. I don't believe I have ever seen a play reviewed after the next play was fully completed. I have never seen that before. Why? They could have scored a touchdown on the next play, and would the refs have wiped it out to review the play before the score? Respot ball? Take points off the board and upset the home crowd? For a review of a play that happened before the TD? Or what if there was a turnover. Same thing. Man, something was fishy. If not, there's a first for everything I guess.

Now I have seen a play begin and somewhere during the play the whistles blow and play stops. This was a play that got completed without interruption. Then they reviewed it.

Answer to the OP if it already hasn't been: They stopped that play before the snap to review the previous one. The players didn't know and it looked like a normal play, but it was really a dead ball.

But did they, Jeremy? I was at the game and didn't hear any whistle. Didn't see any flag. And the refs didn't stop play--you know, whistle that next play dead before it was done. I'm with Admo above. I've never seen a case where they let the next full play go by before stopping play to review the previous one. It was an incompletion. So it wasn't a huge deal to negate that play. (Other than giving them a 1st down do-over, an extra timeout (effectively), and a few extra seconds .) But what if it had been a touchdown, as Admo said. Would they have negated that too? If it was an interception would they give the ball back to Illinois?

I'd be willing to bet that there's some referee guideline specifying that if the next play starts it's too late to go back and review the previous one. That was my point in teh OP. It was just an odd play by an incompetent group of refs.

Thanks, I'm sure that is the official response. Sounds well and legit.

But like you, we've seen refs interrupt play with waving arms and obvious whistles to stop it before the following play ends. And the majority of players quit on the play because of it. Very strange.

• Fire 1

NUance, they put .10 back on the clock, re-spotted the ball, and gave them a do-over. I don't believe I have ever seen a play reviewed after the next play was fully completed. I have never seen that before. Why? They could have scored a touchdown on the next play, and would the refs have wiped it out to review the play before the score? Respot ball? Take points off the board and upset the home crowd? For a review of a play that happened before the TD? Or what if there was a turnover. Same thing. Man, something was fishy. If not, there's a first for everything I guess.

Now I have seen a play begin and somewhere during the play the whistles blow and play stops. This was a play that got completed without interruption. Then they reviewed it.

Answer to the OP if it already hasn't been: They stopped that play before the snap to review the previous one. The players didn't know and it looked like a normal play, but it was really a dead ball.

But did they, Jeremy? I was at the game and didn't hear any whistle. Didn't see any flag. And the refs didn't stop play--you know, whistle that next play dead before it was done. I'm with Admo above. I've never seen a case where they let the next full play go by before stopping play to review the previous one. It was an incompletion. So it wasn't a huge deal to negate that play. (Other than giving them a 1st down do-over, an extra timeout (effectively), and a few extra seconds .) But what if it had been a touchdown, as Admo said. Would they have negated that too? If it was an interception would they give the ball back to Illinois?

I'd be willing to bet that there's some referee guideline specifying that if the next play starts it's too late to go back and review the previous one. That was my point in teh OP. It was just an odd play by an incompetent group of refs.

Yeah I asked about this on Sunday in a thread, (only intelligent responses please) no one had an answer, just said MR sucked and it didn't matter anyways.

• Fire 1

Yeah I asked about this on Sunday in a thread, (only intelligent responses please) no one had an answer, just said MR sucked and it didn't matter anyways.

Ha ha! Sunday? Nobody could think straight yet on Sunday. :lol:

Ha ha! Sunday? Nobody could think straight yet on Sunday. :lol:

Hah. Late Sunday?