Time to bench Tommy and start one of the underclassmen against Minnesota

I've thought about the mechanics thing some the last week. I was wondering if perhaps it is something that Riley and Langs don't want to address until after the season. Trying to tweak a QB's mechanics mid season could blow up in your face if the QB starts overthinking too much. Perhaps they'd just rather he focus on piloting the offense now and they can try to fix this issue later?

I mean, TMart put in all his mechanics improvement work in the offseason, too.

Either way, it really does need addressed if they want to maximize TA's potential as a passer. He'll never, ever be as consistent with the throwing motion he has now. You see it in a lot of his throws... They're generally in the neighborhood of his receivers, but you can tell you never know where they'll end up. He's reverted to falling away as he throws, not stepping toward his receiver. Basically using all arm. He's got the arm strength to get away with it, but his accuracy will always be mediocre and inconsistent.

It was an issue under Beck and I hated seeing it. I had hoped the new coaches would improve it. I'm disappointed they haven't, but maybe we will see improvement moving forward. Never know :dunno

They really aren't going to change it. You basically can't. Langsdorf even said it himself. You can't overhaul a guy's mechanics. You can try to tweak a few things but there won't be major changes.

He doesn't need a complete overhaul. He throws a catchable, if inaccurate and sometimes overly zippy ball. The way he passed through the non-con tells us there's a very capable passer hidden in there.

I don't see why he can't improve much in the same way TMart did as a passer. THAT guy overhauled his mechanics. Tommy just needs to get back to basics- stepping into his throws. The difference between that and falling on your ass as your deliver throws, and maybe continuing to refine the touch he can put on passes, are tweaks. He just needs to practice consistency.

Taylor had much, much further to go. Tommy is the kind of QB that many college dual-threat QBs are, where you criticize some of their form. Taylor was much newer to the QB position and very little was natural to him.

And while he gets credit for all the work he (needed to) put in revamping his footwork, etc, his gains were similarly limited. He got comfortable running the offense, which was great, but he was never a polished passer and his pocket awareness and movement never got to a high level here.

I do agree that some of this consistency and footwork stuff is something that can be fixed. It doesn't mean it will be. It kind of is an overhaul, even if it isn't in every facet of his throwing. There's a lot of habit to reverse at this point.

I've thought about the mechanics thing some the last week. I was wondering if perhaps it is something that Riley and Langs don't want to address until after the season. Trying to tweak a QB's mechanics mid season could blow up in your face if the QB starts overthinking too much. Perhaps they'd just rather he focus on piloting the offense now and they can try to fix this issue later?

I mean, TMart put in all his mechanics improvement work in the offseason, too.

Either way, it really does need addressed if they want to maximize TA's potential as a passer. He'll never, ever be as consistent with the throwing motion he has now. You see it in a lot of his throws... They're generally in the neighborhood of his receivers, but you can tell you never know where they'll end up. He's reverted to falling away as he throws, not stepping toward his receiver. Basically using all arm. He's got the arm strength to get away with it, but his accuracy will always be mediocre and inconsistent.

It was an issue under Beck and I hated seeing it. I had hoped the new coaches would improve it. I'm disappointed they haven't, but maybe we will see improvement moving forward. Never know :dunno

They really aren't going to change it. You basically can't. Langsdorf even said it himself. You can't overhaul a guy's mechanics. You can try to tweak a few things but there won't be major changes.

He doesn't need a complete overhaul. He throws a catchable, if inaccurate and sometimes overly zippy ball. The way he passed through the non-con tells us there's a very capable passer hidden in there.

I don't see why he can't improve much in the same way TMart did as a passer. THAT guy overhauled his mechanics. Tommy just needs to get back to basics- stepping into his throws. The difference between that and falling on your ass as your deliver throws, and maybe continuing to refine the touch he can put on passes, are tweaks. He just needs to practice consistency.

Stepping into his throws is basic. But poor footwork is too ingrained in his mechanics to be worked out. It's been the same for two years - it's not going to change.

The problem with TA has never been ability. It's consistency. But what he does consistently is have poor mechanics. It's impossible to be a consistent QB with that poor of footwork.

Here's a couple screen shots that illustrate my point. I didn't notice these at the time but they were on the Big Red Wrapups I was watching a couple nights ago. I realize a screen grab can be misleading but watch the video for yourself if you want.

On both plays, TA is rolling out to his right, which should be the more natural way. The play against Illinois was a scramble that he completed to Carter for the big gain. The play against Wisconsin was the touchdown to Moore. On both plays he has all his momentum moving toward the receiver and has plenty of room to step into his throw. But despite all that, he STILL FALLS BACKWARDS AS HE THROWS IT. It is so ingrained in his mechanics the he even does it when he totally has to fight the rest of his body to do it.

uAA9yV.jpg

lJ6iI9.jpg

Taylor had much, much further to go. Tommy is the kind of QB that many college dual-threat QBs are, where you criticize some of their form. Taylor was much newer to the QB position and very little was natural to him.

And while he gets credit for all the work he (needed to) put in revamping his footwork, etc, his gains were similarly limited. He got comfortable running the offense, which was great, but he was never a polished passer and his pocket awareness and movement never got to a high level here.

I do agree that some of this consistency and footwork stuff is something that can be fixed. It doesn't mean it will be. It kind of is an overhaul, even if it isn't in every facet of his throwing. There's a lot of habit to reverse at this point.

too damn many kids come out of high school with bad habits, and don't even know it until they get to the collegiate level........