So I got to thinking........

74Hunter

So there I was getting my lyft on thinking about the program, university, what not, and I started wondering, what next?

IN THIS THREAD I'M NOT CALLING FOR RILEY TO BE FIRED OR WHO SHOULD BE OUR COACH. IF THAT'S WHAT YOU WANT TO TALK ABOUT PLEASE TAKE IT TO ONE OF THE NUMBER OF THREADS TAKING ABOUT IT.

thank you.

Hypothetically, say things take a turn for the worst. The staff continues to manufacture defeats. They lose the team. The losses get more lopsided. Riley turns his dumpster fire into a full blown nuclear wasteland and the team finishes 4 and 8 or worse.

Fans stop coming, and start voicing displeasure to their regents. Lincoln business owners are losing out on revenue and start bitching to the regents. Big money speaks up, etc and change is needed.

So what happens? Obviously since Harvey is a lame duck ( in more than one way) and he has proven that at the least he is incompetent and doesn't value a winning football program, and at worst willfully sabotaged the program. You don't want him having any say in the next step.

I could be wrong but I think we still have and interim system president. So what next?

Does the new president have a say in who the next chancellor is?

If the BOR decides that the whole program needs to be purged and started over, can they usurp the chancellor and president and make all of the moves in the Athletic Department?

I'm assuming that searches are under way for both the president and chancellor, but I don't know the power of the BOR.

Edit: i hope they turn it around and it doesn't come to this.

anyhow, thanks.

Very solid questions that get to what I think is the real root of the problem. It all rolls down from the top. Didn't Harv install Peterson? Peterson fired Frank after a nine win season. Hired Cally. Rather than come front and center to fix things, Harv hides in the background and criminally uses T.O's reputation to make a change, one he knew would lead to Bo and hide Petersen's body as the same time. Once T.O.'s image has been sufficiently sullied and T.O. just no longer wants to be involved, her brings in S.E....from the failing and flailing refuse pile of Miami. S.E. gives us a coach that 90% of us had to google when the announcement was made.

It's almost like Harv was the geek in high school that always got razzed by the jocks, and spurned by the cheerleaders, and vowed to get even some day.

I know the BOR is powerful, but I am not sure they have any emergency clause powers that would give them the right to change course forcibly. I think you hit on in it in a couple of places. It will take people with money....supporters and businesses.....to make demands. They'll be heard. Even then, I don't see it happening quickly. We're still paying Bo, add to that Riley and a new coach...that is a lot of scratch. A lot.

• Fire 2

Not sure that a university has sufficient grounds to fire a Chancellor, President, or whatever title you wish to give someone in that position, solely over the football team not winning; considering the vast expanse of their responsibilities. I have worked in higher education for 20 years and highly doubt not winning is a grounds for a Chancellor being dismissed. The Athletic Director typically should be a little more worried; especially if revenues (whether it be struggles in recruiting, ticket sales, program perception, etc) start to plummet. I do not know much about HP, but how does he do with the other 95% of his responsibilities? Serious question, not a judging anybody, I truly do not know much about him.

• Fire 2

Intriguing post. Here is what I found to be true for UNL:

"Chancellor shall appoint such staff as are necessary and are approved by the President and the Board of Regents; make provision for adequate communication among administration, faculty, and students; encourage joint planning and effort; and consult regularly with appropriate campus organizations and committees"

So it sounds like that while the Chancellor can choose who he/she wants for AD, the University President & Board of Regents have to approve that hire.

• Fire 1

Very solid questions that get to what I think is the real root of the problem. It all rolls down from the top. Didn't Harv install Peterson? Peterson fired Frank after a nine win season. Hired Cally. Rather than come front and center to fix things, Harv hides in the background and criminally uses T.O's reputation to make a change, one he knew would lead to Bo and hide Petersen's body as the same time. Once T.O.'s image has been sufficiently sullied and T.O. just no longer wants to be involved, her brings in S.E....from the failing and flailing refuse pile of Miami. S.E. gives us a coach that 90% of us had to google when the announcement was made.

It's almost like Harv was the geek in high school that always got razzed by the jocks, and spurned by the cheerleaders, and vowed to get even some day.

I know the BOR is powerful, but I am not sure they have any emergency clause powers that would give them the right to change course forcibly. I think you hit on in it in a couple of places. It will take people with money....supporters and businesses.....to make demands. They'll be heard. Even then, I don't see it happening quickly. We're still paying Bo, add to that Riley and a new coach...that is a lot of scratch. A lot.

I pretty much agree 100 percent.

I was just wondering in a situation like this with the chancellor having one foot out the door if there would be a way around him.

Not sure that a university has sufficient grounds to fire a Chancellor, President, or whatever title you wish to give someone in that position, solely over the football team not winning; considering the vast expanse of their responsibilities. I have worked in higher education for 20 years and highly doubt not winning is a grounds for a Chancellor being dismissed. The Athletic Director typically should be a little more worried; especially if revenues (whether it be struggles in recruiting, ticket sales, program perception, etc) start to plummet. I do not know much about HP, but how does he do with the other 95% of his responsibilities? Serious question, not a judging anybody, I truly do not know much about him.

Being that Harvey is gone next year, I doubt they would fire him. They may try to nudge him along more quickly as he did with TO, but I was wondering if these decisions could be made without his input.

As to academics, there have been nice improvements under his leadership. The north campus/Devaney center area, East stadium and the performance lab/brain trauma research, the B1G 10 and the CIC.

But under his leadership, we were booted out of the AAU. And let's not kid ourselves, without TO and his football program, the chances of us moving to the B1G 10 were no lock.

Intriguing post. Here is what I found to be true for UNL:

"Chancellor shall appoint such staff as are necessary and are approved by the President and the Board of Regents; make provision for adequate communication among administration, faculty, and students; encourage joint planning and effort; and consult regularly with appropriate campus organizations and committees"

So it sounds like that while the Chancellor can choose who he/she wants for AD, the University President & Board of Regents have to approve that hire.

Sounds right. Thank you.

Good thoughts here. Something doesn't seem right with HP.

Isnt Hank Bounds that new President?

I could be wrong, but I thought that he was the interim.
Hopefully someone can clarify. Hes listed on the web as the 7th President so im assuming hes the actual President now. But im not sure. Im askin a legit question. Not bein a smartass, to clarify.

Me neither. I really don't know.