Has Bo been or will he recruit in Nebraska for YSU?

He really didn't recruit Nebraska while he was here, not sure why he would start now.

That's fun to say but simply isn't true.

Well, really, nobody since TO/Solich has truly recruited all of Nebraska. Sure, they have had some players from Lincoln and Omaha. Some walk-ons from maybe some class C schools. However, when was the last time someone from maybe even 8 man has been asked to walk-on? Now, I understand someone like Callahan or Bo not understanding 8 man ball or how to really evaluate the talent at the class C level other than offering a few to walk-on. To really develop that level of understanding what's out here, takes time in the state. Not sure if we will ever have that back.

But....Bo is NOT going to all of a sudden come back and start recruiting a bunch of Nebraska players.

He really didn't recruit Nebraska while he was here, not sure why he would start now.

Well, really, nobody since TO/Solich has truly recruited all of Nebraska. Sure, they have had some players from Lincoln and Omaha. Some walk-ons from maybe some class C schools. However, when was the last time someone from maybe even 8 man has been asked to walk-on? Now, I understand someone like Callahan or Bo not understanding 8 man ball or how to really evaluate the talent at the class C level other than offering a few to walk-on. To really develop that level of understanding what's out here, takes time in the state. Not sure if we will ever have that back.

But....Bo is NOT going to all of a sudden come back and start recruiting a bunch of Nebraska players.

I don't think he'll be recruiting the state from YSU.

But a couple things:

- You mention Lincoln and Omaha but Neal was the first OPS player in several years. There simply hasn't been nearly as much talent there.

- Saying anyone didn't recruit all of Nebraska because they didn't have any eight man players is being pretty picky. That's a very small portion of the population in a small population state that doesn't really crank out a lot of top-end D1 talent anyway. We've had several Class B players in recent years (from Aurora, Waverly, Beatrice, Gretna and Crete to name a few) plus a couple Class C guys here and there (currently Sterup, formerly Crick). Obviously we missed on a couple guys but we've taken way more guys that we shouldn't have taken (mainly under Cally) than we've missed on guys we should have gotten.

Generally speaking, Nebraska has gotten the best 2-3 players out of the state each year (until this year) and history shows that's about the max number of actual contributors the state produces each year.

Seriously? Why would Bo come 800 miles west and then rent cars and drive all over the eastern third of the state to recruit a couple unknown or unrated players when he has a population of 10 million within a tank full of gas in any direction? Bo didn't like to recruit when he was here as it took a private jet being donated to spur his staff into flying around to try to land a half dozen 3 stars out of GA and Alabama and FL. Flights out of Lincoln probably are awful to arrange to many parts of the country. Most coaches in the top 25 schools don't log a third as many hours or miles in recruiting I would guess. Not that this is any excuse of course. Our coaches are being paid outlandish sums of money to coach amateur football! It is really almost shameful considering the amount of unemployment, working poor, poverty, welfare and such as our country is currently suffering. Times for many Americans have never been worse in for most people under 65. Many Nebraskans simply can't afford the luxury of going to a Husker game with a ticket and travel and food and such as they don't have a couple hundred bucks to drop attending a sporting event, even the best sporting event around as the Huskers are certainly. So, coaches should have nothing to say but thanks, thanks and more thanks. In my opinion.

I don't think he'll be recruiting the state from YSU.

But a couple things:

- You mention Lincoln and Omaha but Neal was the first OPS player in several years. There simply hasn't been nearly as much talent there.

- Saying anyone didn't recruit all of Nebraska because they didn't have any eight man players is being pretty picky. That's a very small portion of the population in a small population state that doesn't really crank out a lot of top-end D1 talent anyway. We've had several Class B players in recent years (from Aurora, Waverly, Beatrice, Gretna and Crete to name a few) plus a couple Class C guys here and there (currently Sterup, formerly Crick). Obviously we missed on a couple guys but we've taken way more guys that we shouldn't have taken (mainly under Cally) than we've missed on guys we should have gotten.

Generally speaking, Nebraska has gotten the best 2-3 players out of the state each year (until this year) and history shows that's about the max number of actual contributors the state produces each year.

I didn't say just because they didn't have any 8 man players is my reasoning. My point was, have we had coaching staffs that really even considered it? Now, before you jump all over that, like I alluded to in my post, I don't necessarily blame any of these staff's for that. It would take time here to really understand the game and the talent that could (if it is there) be pulled from those teams. It's just not something someone that's used to recruiting Texas, Florida, California or Ohio is going to understand and appreciate. These coaches are under pressure to win right now. Their shelf life here is probably very short. They could win an NC next year and two years later some fans will want them fired if they don't do something right.

Like I said, we may never have that again. It really would take a HC that WANTS to spend time in western Nebraska doing more than recruiting to get to know coaches, people, players...etc. and get the contacts to even know when a player might be available. I don't expect Nebraska coaches to go sit in Mullen watching them play Sandhills HS in an 8 man game.

What I'm getting at is that I'm not really bitching necessarily about the recruiting over the last 15 years. TO knew the state and had relationships that any Jo Blow coach hired in just isn't going to have.

And....yes....you named a few places and players not in Omaha or Lincoln. However, only one of those players was from west of Grand Island/Hastings and almost all of them are within an hour of Lincoln.

But you keep acting like everything is equal.

On what basis are you saying that they're NOT looking at these guys? Just because we haven't had any doesn't mean we haven't looked.

And the same thing with saying that about players west of Grand Island. What is there, maybe 25% of the population west of Kearney? Maybe not even that much. If there are only 2-3 legit D1 players each year from the entire state and 75% the population is east of Kearney, it should be pretty obvious that there just aren't going to be many players "out west" that are good enough deserve a shot. Statistically speaking. And that's before you factor in things like access to youth leagues and training facilities.

This whole line just seems like trying to find something to complain about. Other than the two current Iowa players (Ott and probably Bazata) who are all the guys fitting the descriptions you're bringing up that should have been playing for Nebraska but aren't?

But you keep acting like everything is equal.

On what basis are you saying that they're NOT looking at these guys? Just because we haven't had any doesn't mean we haven't looked.

And the same thing with saying that about players west of Grand Island. What is there, maybe 25% of the population west of Kearney? Maybe not even that much. If there are only 2-3 legit D1 players each year from the entire state and 75% the population is east of Kearney, it should be pretty obvious that there just aren't going to be many players "out west" that are good enough deserve a shot. Statistically speaking. And that's before you factor in things like access to youth leagues and training facilities.

This whole line just seems like trying to find something to complain about. Other than the two current Iowa players (Ott and probably Bazata) who are all the guys fitting the descriptions you're bringing up that should have been playing for Nebraska but aren't?

I'm not going to make my own comments out to be more than what they are. I've said several times that I don't blame coaches like Bo or Callahan or even Riley for not spending more time out here driving from town to town looking for players. I don't believe I am "bitching" about it based on that point. It's just a fact of life. TO spent almost his entire life living in this state and he grew up in the central part of the state. He obviously knew the state and had contacts that normal Div 1 coaches aren't going to have.

As for what's out here. I have no facts or names or whatever that I can spew out. However, over the last 15 -20 years, I have to believe there are more players in this area than what has ended up playing even if it's not at Nebraska. I live in a county of 25,000 people. My home town has 4,000 people. My town has provided four athletes to Nebraska football in the last 10 years. One of them was, I would say, a pretty good success and is in the NFL. One played quite a bit till injuries and the other two are still on the team. No other town in our county has provided even a walk-on practice player during that time that I know of. Now, multiply that by all the other towns and I believe there is more talent here if someone is committed to finding it and developing it. Again, I'm not complaining. I just have always wondered why our town tends to provide them and others don't. And, yes...I understand you can't have every Tom, Dick or Harry that is a good athlete on the team as a walk-on. I'm just saying this to express that there are athletes even out here.

Let's not forget about recruited walk-ons when discussing Bo's in-state recruiting. We have a huge number if high quality ones in the program. Yes, some of them would have gone to NU no matter what, but not all. Hopefully that continues to be an emphasis going forward.

And to answer the original question, I highly doubt Bo has any interest in stepping foot back in Nebraska.