Eichorst Rant

The only thing similar between Riley and Clownahan is the situations they inherited when they came here. Both came into a situation where there was a lot of questioning with regards if the previous coach should have been removed. Both came into a program that had won nine games the year before. Other than that, there really is no comparison.

Both brought in an NFL type offense. Both brought in their medicore buddies as DC. Both started a square-peg QB in a round hole. Both were hired by Harvey's henchmen. Both broke longtime NCAA leading streaks in their first season. Both had trouble dealing with the huge rosters in spring ball.

Should I keep going?

1. Pro-style offenses really aren't that uncommon in college football. Shawn Watson's offense was based on the WCO. Tim Beck's offense didn't look all that much different from Watson's to me, but since he called it "multiple" I guess that's what everybody went with.

Beck's wasn't even close to WCO! And Watson didn't "bring in" the WCO. they just maintained it as status quo so Bo could focus on D.

2. So did Pelini after Carl went to FAU.

Papuchis was here 4 years before he was named DC

3. So did Watson and Beck with Martinez and Armstrong.

Huh? The offenses were practically made for those guys.

4. Harvey hired Osborne too, so I'm not sure where you're going with the "henchmen" thing.

That wasn't Harvey's choice. That was under duress from Boosters of Substance. And please don't compare TO to Eicherson or Pederhorst.

5. The streak that Callahan broke was a lot more important. I don't think very many people even knew that there was a "home opener winning streak" until we lost to BYU. This would be a more meaningful comparison if we finish with a losing record this year (which, to be fair, is very likely to happen).

Can't argue there. But if Riley goes 4-8, it will be worse. Although 5-7 would be more Callahanesque.

6. To be honest, I'm not sure what you're referring to here.

Callahan came in and cut the walkons by about 30 almost immediately. Riley split the team into two groups that practiced separately because he had no idea how to deal with more than 70-80 players in the spring.

Really the only other major similarity that couldn't be claimed for Pelini or pretty much any other coach we could've brought in instead of Riley is that, if we finish with a losing record, he and Callahan both did that their first year. Everything else just seems like a reach to me.

There are also the things listed in the post I responded to. Those wouldn't apply to Pelini. So yeah, pretty much none of it applies to Pelini.

• Fire 1

I agree.. Don't blame Riley... He has always an under achieving mediocre coach.

Eichorst is the individual that fired Bo and hired Riley.

Bo had a lot of baggage and that taped ranting after he was fired lowered my opinion of him.

What Bo did accimplish was worthy of recognition.

He was one of three active coaches with a minimum of 9 wins each season for five consecutive seasons

Under Bo, the team GPA was over 3.0

Under Bo, I believe 100% of his seniors graduated in either 2013 or 2014

But Bo is gone. Riley is now our coach. Hopefully he makes some off season adjustments to his staff, especially on defense

I am with firing Eichorst now. Thats where we need the immediate attention. Can we fire and rehire a new coach this season? I would say that maybe. Should we, yes. Financially don't think I would. Need to find an AD with some kind of coaching ties to someone thats a great coach and would come here, clean up the last 12 years of disfunction and move us ahead.

Trev Alberts is the only person of interest with family ties. The only one who might come in and turn things around. Erstad looking at the Dodgers says our athletic department is hurting some. Big 10 move is destroying this athletic program in all areas. Recruiting is twice as hard now. Even for baseball. We played in the Big 12, south weather in April and May. Not in Michigan in April and May. Volleyball will be the next to take the hit.

Its all relevant. Its all a part of the issue right now. We can overcome Big 10 and its ways, but only with the right AD.

Trev Alberts took UNO's most lucrative sport and hired a proven winner as head coach, a move that is now paying dividends. The UNO athletic department is now better off. His handling of the D1 transition was extremely amateurish. So would I want him at Nebraska? Maybe not. But he did go out and get a winner for the flagship program, and they're sitting at #1 in the country right now.

Huskerfan92, I am not ready to fire Riley yet. He runs a completely different system then Bo. I still believe that he can do good things with his own players in here. It's hard to run a pro style offense with a QB that is an "athlete". We have to give the guy time. I don't want to cut him loose yet. In a few years, if things aren't improving and he isn't making the necessary changes, then yes! If you look at the first half of the season we were on lucks bad side. If we started out 4 or 5-0 would we even be having this convo. Most likely not.

If we started out 4 or 5-0 would we be having this convo. Are you an idiot.......

This team stinks, and it isn't because of Bo - it is poor coaching - This is on

Shawn Eichorst and Mike Riley - Two bad hires... Nebraska has lost to a lot

of very poor quality teams this year...

I love when the idiots come out of the woodwork calling for the AD like they have a clue about running an athletic program at a power 5 school.

It's like watching good will hunting. A janitor that knows complex math equations.

on a messageboard

under an anonymous profile

epic

But in "Good Will Hunting," wasn't the janitor really good at complex math equations? Or maybe I'm just missing your point. :lol:

My thought too.

I think Eichorst needs to go before Riley, that's for sure. He can't be allowed to hire another coach. Frankly, I don't think he can be left in a position where he's asked to fairly evaluate his own coach. That's why he needs to go.

I don't agree with those who say a new AD is a guarantee that a coach will be fired. Countless examples run counter to that claim, and if we get the right guy (i.e., not an ego manic or a lap dog to Perlman, who personally disliked Bo), then we can move forward in an intelligent way.

I remember when TO gave Callahan a set of very achievable benchmarks to save his job. He failed and he was fired, but I sincerely believe that if he'd fulfilled the requirements, TO would have retained him.

I don't believe that about guys like Perlman, Eichorst and Pederson; they are snakes in the grass who make a determination and then hope that results break in their favor so they are justified in retrospect. But regardless of results, they are going to carry out their agenda.

Leadership matters, and NU football is struggling as a direct result of awful administrative leadership.

I honestly wonder what Eichorst is thinking right now? Does he realize he is an epic failure? I mean, a millionaire hiring another millionaire. Both millionaires are failing miserably at their jobs. How in the world do they continue to keep their jobs?

Eichorst had any sort of decency he would admit the bad hrie and move on. That would be respectable. If he continues to try and hide and let this things continue he continues to look like a epic failure.

It is a sad sad day when I actually have sympathy for Bill Callahan.